NFL rejects veterans group’s ad for Super Bowl program

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
The NFL has denied advertising space in the Super Bowl program for a veterans group that declined to alter language about standing for the national anthem.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed Tuesday that American Veterans, or AMVETS , submitted an advertisement last week to the third-party publisher of the game program with the message, ”Please Stand.”

McCarthy said the league, which has editorial control over the content, asked AMVETS to consider other options for the message, such as ”Please Honor our Veterans” or ”Please Stand for our Veterans.”

Read more:
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-rejects-veterans-group-s-ad-for-super-bowl-program-012318

McCarthy said the league, which has editorial control over the content, asked AMVETS to consider other options for the message, such as ”Please Honor our Veterans” or ”Please Stand for our Veterans.”

This seems reasonable. Why was the Veteran's group opposed to either of those messages? The 2nd one is essentially the same exact message.

I'm all for doing away with the anthem before sporting events. If you want to have it before the big games(Super Bowl, World Series, etc.), by all means. But is it really necessary for every sporting event on all levels?

Nope. Plenty of organizations don't. I know the UFC doesn't, and they could hardly be accused of being a leftist organization.

They wanted "please stand" ; the NFL suggested "please stand for our veterans." How is that meaningfully different?

Leave it to neo to torch his own arguments!

If it's not "meaningfully different," why is the NFL having a problem with the original script?

No idea, you'd have to ask them. I'm more curious why the veterans group found it meaningfully different. The NFL has no responsibility to allow an advertiser if they don't like their advertisement.

After reading again, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say.

He is saying our country was founded on discontent so you should honor the flag...unless you do not want to because this is the USA and you have those rights and people died for them ...but your boss has every right to can you for it.

I think?

I think Roger is angling for another raise! I mean given the amazing competence of the man how could they not tack on another couple of million dollars a year. So let me see if I got this right: the kneeling controversy was almost out of the public's mind and the NFL decides to reinsert it less then two weeks before the Super Bowl. No wonder they pay Roger the BIG BUCKS!

I mean as NEO noted there really isn't any difference between the phrase "please stand" and "please stand for our veterans". But hey it's the NFL's right to shoot themselves in the foot and resurrect this issue so have at it guys.

I think Roger is angling for another raise! I mean given the amazing competence of the man how could they not tack on another couple of million dollars a year. So let me see if I got this right: the kneeling controversy was almost out of the public's mind and the NFL decides to reinsert it less then two weeks before the Super Bowl. No wonder they pay Roger the BIG BUCKS!

I mean as NEO noted there really isn't any difference between the phrase "please stand" and "please stand for our veterans". But hey it's the NFL's right to shoot themselves in the foot and resurrect this issue so have at it guys.

So this was all Roger's idea? The ad wouldn't have "reinserted" this into the public's mind? Personally I'm shocked we're even having a super bowl after the nfl was clearly done after the kneeling controversy.

So this was all Roger's idea? The ad wouldn't have "reinserted" this into the public's mind? Personally I'm shocked we're even having a super bowl after the nfl was clearly done after the kneeling controversy.

Roger should have just okayed the ad. What's the big deal? Most people wouldn't have noticed it. Now, it's headlining Drudge and Yahoo news among others. Seriously most people on Super Sunday would have watched the ad and said "damn straight" and then grabbed another beer. Now this will be a discussion topic right up to KO.

Roger should have just okayed the ad. What's the big deal? Most people wouldn't have noticed it.

No, everyone would have noticed it as super bowl ads are a big deal.

Now, it's headlining Drudge and Yahoo news among others. Seriously most people on Super Sunday would have watched the ad and said "damn straight" and then grabbed another beer. Now this will be a discussion topic right up to KO.

It will be for all the PJW and media that needs something to talk about. Had Roger ok'd the ad as is, I'm sure it still would have been something that was talked about.

Wait till the boycotters see 100+ million once again tuned in.

Roger should have just okayed the ad. What's the big deal? Most people wouldn't have noticed it. Now, it's headlining Drudge and Yahoo news among others. Seriously most people on Super Sunday would have watched the ad and said "damn straight" and then grabbed another beer. Now this will be a discussion topic right up to KO.

This was for the game program, not the broadcast. So even fewer people would have noticed as they casually flipped through waiting for kickoff.

You really think the NFL Commissioner personally okays ads for the SuperBowl program?

They wanted "please stand" ; the NFL suggested "please stand for our veterans." How is that meaningfully different?
The flag is a representation of our nation, not just veterans. It's a lot less controversial to ask everyone to honor the latter.

Right or wrong, that's our current reality.

Roger had some interview yesterday, my understanding he has let his TRUE feeling out on the kneeling....lets just say it is typical of a liberal lawyer...