NFL Icon John Madden passes away at 85

Sad news. Not too many people have had as much impact on the game as John Madden. From coaching, announcing, his All-Madden football team, and his namesake video game.

Reactions: y2h
I actually got a chance to meet John Madden and he gave me a tour of the Madden Cruiser. Down to earth guy
I met him once also.

I have a story to illustrate how down to earth he was. My brother was one of Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini's trainers. One day in the early 80s my brother called me and said get over to Ray's place we have a problem we need your help with. He wouldn't elaborate so I went over there. I walk in and Ray points to me and says "he ain't playing." I then realize they were playing the sports edition of Trivial Pursuit and John Madden is at the table playing. It turns out that for some reason the NFL Today show was doing a piece on Ray & coach Madden was doing the interview.

They wouldn't let me play so I'm relegated to asking the questions. It gets to be my brother's turn and I read the question: "Which NFL coach won 100 games in the least number of games played?" Madden immediately asks "can I answer that?" because he is the answer! I remember thinking how crazy is this, we are playing Trivial Pursuit with a guy that is the answer to one of the questions.

My brother says to Madden "all I know is if it wasn't for one of the most BS calls in NFL history you wouldn't have the one freaking Super Bowl you did win!" He of course was referring to the Raiders-Patriots playoff game in 1976. The Raiders were 13-1 in the regular season but the loss was a 48-17 blowout at NE. My brother liked Russ Francis so of course he was pulling for the Pats in the rematch. The Pats were leading 21-17, Raiders had the ball around the Pats 28-yard line, 3rd & 18 with about 90 seconds left in the game. Stabler's 3rd down pass was incomplete but a very shaky roughing the passer penalty was called so instead of 4th & 18 the Raiders had a first and 10 at the Pats 13 yard line. They scored the winning TD with about 10 seconds left and then beat the Steelers & then the Vikings in the SB.

I'm half waiting for Madden to get pissed but he just said "but Chuck we still had to score and then win two more games." My brother: "I don't give a @#$% about any of that, without that f$@*ing call you don't win s**t!" It went back and forth like that for a few minutes and of course the rest of us starting breaking Madden's stones too. We all met about 60 minutes earlier but you would swear that coach Madden and my brother knew each other for 40 years, it was hilarious. I wish I had a tape of it. Anyway, that's how down to earth John Madden was.

RIP coach.

I met him once also.

I have a story to illustrate how down to earth he was. My brother was one of Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini's trainers. One day in the early 80s my brother called me and said get over to Ray's place we have a problem we need your help with. He wouldn't elaborate so I went over there. I walk in and Ray points to me and says "he ain't playing." I then realize they were playing the sports edition of Trivial Pursuit and John Madden is at the table playing. It turns out that for some reason the NFL Today show was doing a piece on Ray & coach Madden was doing the interview.

They wouldn't let me play so I'm relegated to asking the questions. It gets to be my brother's turn and I read the question: "Which NFL coach won 100 games in the least number of games played?" Madden immediately asks "can I answer that?" because he is the answer! I remember thinking how crazy is this, we are playing Trivial Pursuit with a guy that is the answer to one of the questions.

My brother says to Madden "all I know is if it wasn't for one of the most BS calls in NFL history you wouldn't have the one freaking Super Bowl you did win!" He of course was referring to the Raiders-Patriots playoff game in 1976. The Raiders were 13-1 in the regular season but the loss was a 48-17 blowout at NE. My brother liked Russ Francis so of course he was pulling for the Pats in the rematch. The Pats were leading 21-17, Raiders had the ball around the Pats 28-yard line, 3rd & 18 with about 90 seconds left in the game. Stabler's 3rd down pass was incomplete but a very shaky roughing the passer penalty was called so instead of 4th & 18 the Raiders had a first and 10 at the Pats 13 yard line. They scored the winning TD with about 10 seconds left and then beat the Steelers & then the Vikings in the SB.

I'm half waiting for Madden to get pissed but he just said "but Chuck we still had to score and then win two more games." My brother: "I don't give a @#$% about any of that, without that f$@*ing call you don't win s**t!" It went back and forth like that for a few minutes and of course the rest of us starting breaking Madden's stones too. We all met about 60 minutes earlier but you would swear that coach Madden and my brother knew each other for 40 years, it was hilarious. I wish I had a tape of it. Anyway, that's how down to earth John Madden was.

RIP coach.
Classic story

This guy is a history teacher at Dallas College.. A community college in Texas...must be slow over break
It’s so cringey when unintelligent people try to pass themselves off as smart by making these ridiculous observations. Nobody thinks you’re smart trying to connect Madden Video Games to slavery.

It’s so cringey when unintelligent people try to pass themselves off as smart by making these ridiculous observations. Nobody thinks you’re smart trying to connect Madden Video Games to slavery.
Do you see the irony in that statement?

The "All Madden" show was a nice tribute. According to reports, he watched it with his family.

Fox is re-airing it tonight at 8:00 for anyone that may have missed it.
That is pretty cool.

3 distinct generations remember him different ways: As a coach, analyst, and video game.