Next year's captains

moecapt57

Heard Crable has 5 captains for this year with a rotating 6th. What's everyone think about this year's plan.

I think its a great idea. It shows more of a team concept. I believe Beck and Wersel are two of the captains and I was told the other three but can't remember them. Does anybody else know?

moemom said:
Does no one think it is strange that not a single offensive player was deemed to be a "leader"?

I don't think it is all that strange. It may be due to the loss of a lot of seniors on offense from 2005. The only players that I can remember seeing a lot of action last year on offense are Oltorik and Uecker, both of whom will be Juniors this year.

I agree with your assessment of last year's playing time on the offense BUT that is not the criteria the boys are told is used to select the captains. They are told that leadership on and off the field is what matters. Grades, dedication, service are all suppose to be a part of it as well as the votes from their team mates. If how much you play your junior year is what matters then tell them that and don't feed them a line of ......! It is hard to believe there will not a captain in the offensive huddle.

moemom said:
I agree with your assessment of last year's playing time on the offense BUT that is not the criteria the boys are told is used to select the captains. They are told that leadership on and off the field is what matters. Grades, dedication, service are all suppose to be a part of it as well as the votes from their team mates. If how much you play your junior year is what matters then tell them that and don't feed them a line of ......! It is hard to believe there will not a captain in the offensive huddle.

My guess is that Oltorik will probably be the captain in the offensive huddle despite the lack of an official title. QBs run the show and Ross would be a good choice.

It seems strange to me that you could not find one senior on the offensive side of the ball who would have something of value to add to the team as far as leadership goes. That is very strange. I think usually when you are in a gametype situation you look to your captains to keep everyone focused and to draw some inspiration from. If there is not one in the offensive huddle, then what are they saying to the team? It is just odd. There has to be one senior starter over there, what gives?

MoeDude said:
I never said it wasn't. It just seems like every year in recent times there is something controversial in the way the co-captains are selected. At least in Faust's years it was more consistent. 2 offensive players and 2 defensive players and never the QB because he was already considered a leader. I believe there were a couple years when there might have been 3 Offense or 3 Defense but Moeller used to try and stick with the 2 O and 2 D. I also remember the excitement at the year end banquet waiting for the co-captains for the next year being unraveled. There was always something special about seeing those four banners roll open with the name of the next year's co-captains on each of the banners. So much for tradition. :(

Maybe this year "tradition" might have kept some deserving guys from being elected captain?

The selection of all defensive captains seems odd if not counter productive. Too many chiefs on one side of the ball. Makes the offensive side of the ball look less important. The old way of announcing the captains via the banners rolling down at the end of the banquet was just awesome! It really set the tone for the team to have those kid's take on those leadership roles and it was really the start of the new season. I'm not against change as long as it gets results. I've seen all the change, now where are the results?

Go Moe!