New Yorkers can barely live in their apartments because the weed smell is so bad

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
It can really stink to live here.

New Yorkers are being smoked out of their own apartments by the stench of marijuana. Since cannabis was legalized in the city in 2021, its pungent odor has become increasingly common on NYC streets, and now Gothamites say they can’t even escape it in their own homes.

“The smell is so strong it wakes me up or makes it hard to relax and go to bed. Sometimes I get nauseous or allergic itchy eyes and a sore throat from how concentrated it is,” said Delaney, 25, a business owner who lives in Cobble Hill. For the past six months, the the odor has been unbearable in her fourth floor walk-up.

I thought this was interesting. Going back to my childhood, it was easy to figure out who the cigarette smokers were (or at least who lived with them). That smell was impossible to get out of clothes and anyone who went out for a smoking break wreaked of the smell when they got back in.

Today, that cigarette smell has been replaced by the smell of skunks (weed) everywhere. I can't begin to count the number of times I've driven behind a car and had to roll the windows up to get away from the smell. Walking in a parking lot, it seems about 25% of the cars have that smell exploding from the open windows and doors. Every time I go to the store, walking down an aisle is a risk of getting overpowered by the smell. And it is not always the people that "look" like it, it can be anyone.

What amazes me most is that the smell in cars and in stores is usually coming from someone that has multiple young children with them. Apparently, there is no limit nor stigma attached to smoking weed. Driving with children is not an impediment to getting high.

Skunk weed is true to its name. It smells nasty, just like a skunk. I smoked pot in HS, college and some years later, but it has been a long, long time since I smoked pot. Oddly enough, my older brother still smokes pot and so does my aunt, who is ten years older than me! I'm 66.

Does anyone actually vaporize weed like medical marijuana patients in Ohio are supposed to use the plant material ? Or does everyone just smoke it ?

As far as New York apartments, in old buildings with radiator heat and no forced air being filtered, that must get rather dank and skunky with a lot of burners.

I thought this was interesting. Going back to my childhood, it was easy to figure out who the cigarette smokers were (or at least who lived with them). That smell was impossible to get out of clothes and anyone who went out for a smoking break wreaked of the smell when they got back in.

Today, that cigarette smell has been replaced by the smell of skunks (weed) everywhere. I can't begin to count the number of times I've driven behind a car and had to roll the windows up to get away from the smell. Walking in a parking lot, it seems about 25% of the cars have that smell exploding from the open windows and doors. Every time I go to the store, walking down an aisle is a risk of getting overpowered by the smell. And it is not always the people that "look" like it, it can be anyone.

What amazes me most is that the smell in cars and in stores is usually coming from someone that has multiple young children with them. Apparently, there is no limit nor stigma attached to smoking weed. Driving with children is not an impediment to getting high.
Spot on. With my travels for work it was miserable going to places where it was legal because the smell is so awful and prevalent. It is my problem with legalization. We have combatted tobacco smoking for so long, and made such headway, and now we have weed smell everywhere. And there ARE obviously alternatives such as edibles and vape.

And yes, the blatant smoking by people who probably have no business smoking (behind the wheel with kids) is amazing. I made my way to a dispensary in MI one Saturday morning. You should see the clientele. Lots of pajama pants and shower shoes.

I have no problem if someone wants to smoke or take a gummy in the confines of their own home but the over abundant smoking in public areas or driving while smoking is a nuisance.

I heard a quote from someone decades ago that still sticks with me today. "When I hear someone say that doing drugs or smoking dope has made me a better person, then I'll consider it.".
It just still astounds me that we have enough leaders who say legalizing weed is/ was a good idea. There are so many detriments to it beyond just the smell that it blows my mind that it's been legalized. I think Ohio may be reconsidering as we still have little to no places to purchase because no one wants to take the first step.

I heard a quote from someone decades ago that still sticks with me today. "When I hear someone say that doing drugs or smoking dope has made me a better person, then I'll consider it.".
It just still astounds me that we have enough leaders who say legalizing weed is/ was a good idea. There are so many detriments to it beyond just the smell that it blows my mind that it's been legalized. I think Ohio may be reconsidering as we still have little to no places to purchase because no one wants to take the first step.
Doesn't really matter what the leaders think. The people of the state have spoken and the bill easily passed. There are a few holdouts in the state assembly slowing the process.

On another note, I have been a regular marijuana user since the mid-90's. I won't say it makes me a better person, but it has not had any real negative consequences either. During that time, I played college football, earned a bachelor's and master's degree, been successful in two separate career fields, have two great kids, a successful wife. I have problems and up and downs like anyone else, but none due to marijuana usage. Everybody is different, but I have always been of the opinion that marijuana is no worse than alcohol and in some ways it's better. I've never missed work because I got too stoned the night before. On that note, I'm not a big fan of the skunky smell either. These days, I almost exclusively use a vape or edibles and it's mostly because of the smell.

I tend not to do anything that is going to alter my mind and decision making process. Just seems idiotic to me.
The 'leaders' see the dollar signs in the tax revenue and the reason why so many people got behind legalizing it is because of the 'anything goes' type of mentality that is plaguing the human race.

We have had a decades long erosion of morals and ethics and this is no different.

I live in a (relatively strict) non-smoking luxury high-rise, so weed smoke has never been an issue for me.

On the streets and in parks it's pretty prevalent, but it's also pretty easy to evade.

Like most quality of life issues in New York, if you have enough money, you can avoid it. If you don't, then you just have to deal it or move elsewhere.

Heard a realtor talking on the radio the other day that it's very hard to sell a home with the smell in it. I'm guessing used cars have the same issue.

Doesn't really matter what the leaders think. The people of the state have spoken and the bill easily passed. There are a few holdouts in the state assembly slowing the process.

On another note, I have been a regular marijuana user since the mid-90's. I won't say it makes me a better person, but it has not had any real negative consequences either. During that time, I played college football, earned a bachelor's and master's degree, been successful in two separate career fields, have two great kids, a successful wife. I have problems and up and downs like anyone else, but none due to marijuana usage. Everybody is different, but I have always been of the opinion that marijuana is no worse than alcohol and in some ways it's better. I've never missed work because I got too stoned the night before. On that note, I'm not a big fan of the skunky smell either. These days, I almost exclusively use a vape or edibles and it's mostly because of the smell.
Congratulations to you, I'd say you are the exception rather than the rule. Just a note, I would say if you polled all of the inmates in prisons across the country and our county jails, most either have an affinity with drugs, alcohol or both and is one of the contributing factors to where they are at today. Obviously the alcohol debate is way out of the barn and is never coming back. Just because something is voted for doesn't mean it's the right thing. Many approved weed because of being able to tax it and make money on it.

Congratulations to you, I'd say you are the exception rather than the rule. Just a note, I would say if you polled all of the inmates in prisons across the country and our county jails, most either have an affinity with drugs, alcohol or both and is one of the contributing factors to where they are at today. Obviously the alcohol debate is way out of the barn and is never coming back. Just because something is voted for doesn't mean it's the right thing. Many approved weed because of being able to tax it and make money on it.
There has also been rapists, murderers, etc who have had the same attributes as NoB in being successful people in life.
Still does not make the indiscretions right.

$$$$$$, erosion of mankind's morals and the anything goes attitude fueled the passing and decriminalization of offenses in some states.

There has also been rapists, murderers, etc who have had the same attributes as NoB in being successful people in life.
Still does not make the indiscretions right.

$$$$$$, erosion of mankind's morals and the anything goes attitude fueled the passing and decriminalization of offenses in some states.
Surely you're not comparing smoking pot to raping and murdering? Doesn't really seem like a fair comparison of indiscretions. I wasn't claiming to be right or wrong, just that I have been able to use marijuana regularly and still be a productive member of society. I try not to judge people for their personal choices, which I believe using marijuana to be, as long as they are not hurting other people. The smell can be intrusive to other's environment but as I said for the last 6 or 7 years, I have almost exclusively used vapes (purchased legally, I might add) which is far less invasive to others, if at all.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but I also know teachers, police officers, construction workers, really people from any field with an affinity for drugs and alcohol that hasn't really held them back from where they are today. I'm not trying to say what is right and wrong, just how I see it.

Heard a realtor talking on the radio the other day that it's very hard to sell a home with the smell in it. I'm guessing used cars have the same issue.

I find this hard to believe. Marijuana molecules don’t bind to materials and surfaces like cigarette molecules bind. It’s temporary.

Edit: short term, yes, with people living there…any vacant house with a typical cleaning you’d give any house going to market then no. Cigarette smoke is a completely different story.

Last edited:
Someone above tried to compare using cannabis to murder and rape. I truly believe I've seen it all now lol.

Using cannabis correctly is healthier than not using. By correctly I mean not smoking it and realizing the carcinogenic effects of the smoke. Do some research on the human endocannabinoid system. Cannabis is among the most healing plants on earth as well as one of the most useful. If you think cannabis is bad for adults, you've been brainwashed by the government and their propaganda that began in the early twentieth century.

Someone above tried to compare using cannabis to murder and rape. I truly believe I've seen it all now lol.

Using cannabis correctly is healthier than not using. By correctly I mean not smoking it and realizing the carcinogenic effects of the smoke. Do some research on the human endocannabinoid system. Cannabis is among the most healing plants on earth as well as one of the most useful. If you think cannabis is bad for adults, you've been brainwashed by the government and their propaganda that began in the early twentieth century.
Are you surprised? Look at who it was

I know some people don't like the weed vape pens, but that's an easy solution to it

Fair enough, but I also know teachers, police officers, construction workers, really people from any field with an affinity for drugs and alcohol that hasn't really held them back from where they are today. I'm not trying to say what is right and wrong, just how I see it.
And you're seeing it from your personal perspective. Which is great. But I just feel OVERALL, the general consensus is that regular and consistent drug and alcohol use is more of a detriment to people than help, especially drugs. Also scary to think there are police and construction workers who are under the influence on the job. A post accident/ incident drug screen would likely be career changing for them.

And you're seeing it from your personal perspective. Which is great. But I just feel OVERALL, the general consensus is that regular and consistent drug and alcohol use is more of a detriment to people than help, especially drugs. Also scary to think there are police and construction workers who are under the influence on the job. A post accident/ incident drug screen would likely be career changing for them.
So are you in favor of outlawing alcohol?

Cops and firefighters are the biggest drinkers I know.

So are you in favor of outlawing alcohol?
No, as I said in an earlier post, that horse is way out of the barn. Do I feel there could be more controls on it?? Absolutely, but again, there's no way to ever change that. My fear is first with weed, then eventually other controlled substances will be free and out on the market just because we can tax it.