New OHSAA Divisions

PURPLE REIGN

Boys soccer
In the new alignment, Anderson and Elder move to Division II. Badin and Indian Hill lead teams moving down to DIII.
--
Division I: Colerain, Fairfield, Hamilton, Lakota East, Lakota West, Lebanon, Little Miami, Mason, Middletown, Milford, Moeller, Oak Hills, Princeton, St. Xavier, Springboro, Sycamore, Walnut Hills, West Clermont, Western Hills.

Division II: Anderson, Elder, Harrison, Kings, Loveland, Winton Woods.

Division III: Aiken, Badin, Batavia, Edgewood, Franklin, Goshen, Indian Hill, La Salle, McNicholas, Monroe, Mt. Healthy, Northwest, Ross, Talawanda, Turpin, Western Brown, Wilmington, Withrow.

Girls Soccer
Mount Notre Dame, the 2021 state champions in Division I and regional runner-up to Seton the past two seasons, moves down to Division II. Anderson and Loveland also move down.
--
Division I: Colerain, Fairfield, Hamilton, Lakota East, Lakota West, Lebanon, Mason, Middletown, Milford, Oak Hills, Princeton, Seton, Sycamore, Walnut Hills, West Clermont.

Division II: Anderson, Edgewood, Harrison, Kings, Little Miami, Loveland, Mount Notre Dame, St. Ursula, Ursuline, Winton Woods.

Division III: Goshen, Monroe, Northwest, Ross, Talawanda, Turpin, Western Brown.

Girls Volleyball
Reigning Division I state champion Kings moves to Division II along with Girls Greater Catholic League schools Mt. Notre Dame and St. Ursula Academy.
--
Division I: Colerain, Fairfield, Hamilton, Lakota East, Lakota West, Lebanon, Mason, Middletown, Milford, Oak Hills, Princeton, Seton, Springboro, Sycamore, Walnut Hills, West Clermont.

Division II: Anderson, Edgewood, Harrison, Kings, Little Miami, Loveland, Mount Notre Dame, St. Ursula, Winton Woods.

Division III: Badin, Goshen, Monroe, Mt. Healthy, Northwest, Purcell Marian, Ross, Talawanda, Turpin, Ursuline, Western Brown, Wilmington, Withrow, Woodward.

Division IV: Batavia, Bethel-Tate, CHCA, Clinton-Massie, Gamble, Indian Hill, Madison, McNicholas, Mercy McAuley, North College Hill, Roger Bacon, Shroder, Taft, Taylor, Wyoming.

Girls Volleyball
Reigning Division I state champion Kings moves to Division II along with Girls Greater Catholic League schools Mt. Notre Dame and St. Ursula Academy.
--
Division I: Colerain, Fairfield, Hamilton, Lakota East, Lakota West, Lebanon, Mason, Middletown, Milford, Oak Hills, Princeton, Seton, Springboro, Sycamore, Walnut Hills, West Clermont.

Division II: Anderson, Edgewood, Harrison, Kings, Little Miami, Loveland, Mount Notre Dame, St. Ursula, Winton Woods.

Division III: Badin, Goshen, Monroe, Mt. Healthy, Northwest, Purcell Marian, Ross, Talawanda, Turpin, Ursuline, Western Brown, Wilmington, Withrow, Woodward.

Division IV: Batavia, Bethel-Tate, CHCA, Clinton-Massie, Gamble, Indian Hill, Madison, McNicholas, Mercy McAuley, North College Hill, Roger Bacon, Shroder, Taft, Taylor, Wyoming.
Geez.. they are just asking for 4 GGCL champions..

Also, while we are talking about the GGCL, it's been a dramatic fall for Ursuline (and a little less dramatic for MM).

I understand MND and SUA in DII but Ursuline in DIII and MM in Division IV?

Also, while we are talking about the GGCL, it's been a dramatic fall for Ursuline (and a little less dramatic for MM).

I understand MND and SUA in DII but Ursuline in DIII and MM in Division IV?
MM is just fighting a huge uphill battle. Not a great location. It’s just not a realistic option for the old Mercy feeders like Visi, Jude, Lourdes.

No doubt in my mind politics/social agenda have hurt the numbers at Ursuline and Ursula.

If the referendum passes, it will be business as usual in the GGCL in the tourney - outside of SUA as they have competed and won in D2 and it may not matter to them, I just don't see MND and UA competing in anything but D1

If referendum doesn't pass and if the base number of enrollees is based off the to be Soph-Sr classes, Seton's time in D1 could be short lived as the incoming class is only 177ish and the outgoing Sr class is 190ish

MM is just fighting a huge uphill battle. Not a great location. It’s just not a realistic option for the old Mercy feeders like Visi, Jude, Lourdes.

No doubt in my mind politics/social agenda have hurt the numbers at Ursuline and Ursula.
Word that I have heard from buddies that have girls at both schools, is that both MM & UA incoming freshman is around 120ish girls

Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 8.43.40 AM.png

well, this is big news for Basketball.

That includes the CB number. Elder needed to inflate their number more which other schools definitely do. Now, we will be seeing them compete in D2. Division 2 is okay, but it's not the image of Elder.
If this is the Division the OHSAA says Elder belongs in, then just stay there. I'm not worried about image and don't believe the 200 boys who come to Elder each year are either. It's simply going to take time to get accustomed to it.

If this is the Division the OHSAA says Elder belongs in, then just stay there. I'm not worried about image and don't believe the 200 boys who come to Elder each year are either. It's simply going to take time to get accustomed to it.

I disagree. If Elder's enrollment was getting smaller, then fine move to a smaller division. Enrollment has been steady or increasing depending on how far back you want to compare the numbers. The move to D2 is because the OHSAA expanded the number of divisions and not because Elder's enrollment is decreasing.

The OHSAA really needs to add a layer to competitive balance based on recent success. Elder basketball has no business in Division 2 based on past success and current enrollment.

St. Ignatius and Moeller either do not know how to accurately calculate their competitive balance number for basketball, or they deliberately inflate it.

The competitive balance number is calculated using the basketball tournament roster that is a maximum number of 15 players + any other players who played in a Varsity game that season. The highest multiplier for basketball is 7 meaning they are an out of district kid. One out of district kid in basketball adds 7 to competitive balance. Moeller would have had to of had 29 players to report and all at the max of 7. It just doesn't add up and the OHSAA does nothing to cross check the reported CB number.

Elder reported 7 only. Estep by himself would have been a 7 since he was Kings in 7th grade out of district and not continuous same type of education(private/public). Elder does not need to claim every single westside Catholic school as in district. That can be split up. Claim the Price Hill schools, and then they could have claimed Visitation, Jude as out of district. That could get their CB number higher I think.

St. Ignatius and Moeller either do not know how to accurately calculate their competitive balance number for basketball, or they deliberately inflate it.

The competitive balance number is calculated using the basketball tournament roster that is a maximum number of 15 players + any other players who played in a Varsity game that season. The highest multiplier for basketball is 7 meaning they are an out of district kid. One out of district kid in basketball adds 7 to competitive balance. Moeller would have had to of had 29 players to report and all at the max of 7. It just doesn't add up and the OHSAA does nothing to cross check the reported CB number.

Elder reported 7 only. Estep by himself would have been a 7 since he was Kings in 7th grade out of district and not continuous same type of education(private/public). Elder does not need to claim every single westside Catholic school as in district. That can be split up. Claim the Price Hill schools, and then they could have claimed Visitation, Jude as out of district. That could get their CB number higher I think.
I do not think this is correct. I have been told by a former AD that Competitive Balance is calculated by the kids in the basketball program for grades 10,11 and 12. Estep behind a Freshman is not in this number. Another words, Elder had one kid this year in 10,11,12 from out of district. You are correct that Elder needs to redefine their district.

I do not think this is correct. I have been told by a former AD that Competitive Balance is calculated by the kids in the basketball program for grades 10,11 and 12. Estep behind a Freshman is not in this number. Another words, Elder had one kid this year in 10,11,12 from out of district. You are correct that Elder needs to redefine their district.
Correction- Competitive Balane is based on NEXT years 10, 11 and 12 classes. So Estep did count.

Ugh. Gotta disagree. This would be horrible for Elder long term.

Ugh. Gotta disagree. This would be horrible for Elder long term.
Why? Is it horrible for Altar and Badin and Hoban and DeSales and Chatard and Cathedral and all the other private schools who thrive around the country?

Elder will remain in the GCL and will still have Moe and X as its primary rivals. They will be judged in the league and on their success at state.

Last edited:
The last day of the voting period for the six OHSAA referendum issues is this coming Wednesday. Issue 1B is the "opt up to D-I" referendum. The results will be announced Thursday.