New Ohio HS Football Historical Website

reganaustinjames

As I have stated on other threads over the past few years, I have been working on a project to amass the result of every game since 1972 (the start of the playoff era) to eventually develop into a website and publish. After 10 years of perusing numerous sources, I felt like I got about as far as I could with it (only missing a few tidbits for over 190,000 games worth) and finally decided to take it live. My initial goal was to have this done by the beginning of the season, but my work didn't let me meet that deadline, so today I was finally able to go live with it. I give you:

It has the final* (mostly, see the 'Explanations' page for anomalies) computer rankings for every year since 1972, as well as a table that has every game since 1972 (that counted for OHSAA purposes) for every team to have been playoff-eligible for at least one season during the playoff era, as well as season ending records, conference records, playoff results, regional rankings, and records against each opponent they have played in that time.

I started this project 10 years ago as a labor of love (mostly out of annoyance that something like this didn't exist already), and I hope that you find this to be a valuable resource. If you have any questions, run into issues, or catch anything I uploaded incorrectly (818 teams, I might have screwed up somewhere) while looking at this, you can PM me or email me at ohhsfbdb@gmail.com. Enjoy!

This is a phenomenal undertaking and has tons of great data. If I can make one small suggestion at first glance, is it possible to freeze the header row under each school so that we know what column we’re looking at as we scroll down? Also will there ever be a master playoff results page?

This is a phenomenal undertaking and has tons of great data. If I can make one small suggestion at first glance, is it possible to freeze the header row under each school so that we know what column we’re looking at as we scroll down? Also will there ever be a master playoff results page?
Good suggestion on the header freeze. Let me play with that on my source file and see if it'll upload that way. I could easily do a master results playoff page. Do you think that'd be best done by team or in aggregate?

And to anyone else reading this, if you have suggestions on what I have or have ideas of how this site can be enhanced, please let me know.

Good suggestion on the header freeze. Let me play with that on my source file and see if it'll upload that way. I could easily do a master results playoff page. Do you think that'd be best done by team or in aggregate?

And to anyone else reading this, if you have suggestions on what I have or have ideas of how this site can be enhanced, please let me know.
I think an aggregate page would be great for the playoffs. If you have years, divisions, teams it wouldn’t look much different than the individual team pages. I love looking at all the venues that have held playoff games

The data is outstanding! (y)(y)

I assume we're looking at views of database tables. Is it possible to add navigation buttons on The Points main page/subpages and The Table main page/subpages to bounce back to The Points/Table main pages?

As I have stated on other threads over the past few years, I have been working on a project to amass the result of every game since 1972 (the start of the playoff era) to eventually develop into a website and publish. After 10 years of perusing numerous sources, I felt like I got about as far as I could with it (only missing a few tidbits for over 190,000 games worth) and finally decided to take it live. My initial goal was to have this done by the beginning of the season, but my work didn't let me meet that deadline, so today I was finally able to go live with it. I give you:

It has the final* (mostly, see the 'Explanations' page for anomalies) computer rankings for every year since 1972, as well as a table that has every game since 1972 (that counted for OHSAA purposes) for every team to have been playoff-eligible for at least one season during the playoff era, as well as season ending records, conference records, playoff results, regional rankings, and records against each opponent they have played in that time.

I started this project 10 years ago as a labor of love (mostly out of annoyance that something like this didn't exist already), and I hope that you find this to be a valuable resource. If you have any questions, run into issues, or catch anything I uploaded incorrectly (818 teams, I might have screwed up somewhere) while looking at this, you can PM me or email me at ohhsfbdb@gmail.com. Enjoy!
There’s not many folks who can take on a project of this magnitude….. and what’s special about it is you’re doing for the benefit of others. Thank you for the effort Sir.

Now expanded to include a page that has every game in Ohio playoff history, as well as a page that chronicles each team's playoff record in that span. As for the freeze header, I wasn't able to make that translate to the site's code.

This is very neat! I can only imagine the hard work put into it to ensure accuracy and to be a solid reference. I've already got it bookmarked in my favorites. Well done and thank you!

Good God. Bookmarked. Very similar to some spreadsheets I had but gave up on, maybe 10 years ago. Hope you can continue this for years to come.

On TheTable page, the following teams' links are currently broken:

Bellevue
Big Walnut
Brookside
Dublin Scioto
Elyria Catholic
Firestone
Lakota W. Chester
Massillon Perry
Valley Christian
Wellington
West Geauga

Can’t wait to spend some time checking this out. Thanks so much for all your work and effort putting this together! I’m sure Simkon will double check your Canfield statistics!

So I have started down this rabbit hole and can’t find a way out. Looking at Big Red, it’s amazing to see the impact Reno has had on the program. A decade of mediocrity in the 70’s followed by 40+ years of winning. Wow.

I know this is a tall task but if there were info on the coach each season that would be fantastic. Still a very nice job putting this together!

So I have started down this rabbit hole and can’t find a way out. Looking at Big Red, it’s amazing to see the impact Reno has had on the program. A decade of mediocrity in the 70’s followed by 40+ years of winning. Wow.

I know this is a tall task but if there were info on the coach each season that would be fantastic. Still a very nice job putting this together!
Rabbit hole for me too. I had no memory of Big Red beating us (WGH) twice in the 70’s. I did remember McKinley having our number that decade. They even beat us the year we won the state championship. A lot of 7-3, 6-0 type scores back then.

This is really some kind of resource. I'm putting together a database of Kent Roosevelt's all-time results yearly and by opponent, and to say the least this will help immeasurably. Thank you for your time and effort, it's great.

So for most high schools in Ohio football didn't exist prior to 1972? Freaking slacker! :)

Believe me, I know how much work is involved in a project like this. Great job.

Can’t wait to spend some time checking this out. Thanks so much for all your work and effort putting this together! I’m sure Simkon will double check your Canfield statistics!
It is his website, if he is right or wrong it makes no difference to me, it isn't my place to comment on the accuracy or his work and website, he took a lot of time to throw this together and for that he should be commended.

Love this site. Thanks for sharing this.

This thread has been universally appreciated. Almost. The OP has 31 emojis: 27 likes, 3 loves, and one laughing emoji. There’s always one in the crowd

It is his website, if he is right or wrong it makes no difference to me, it isn't my place to comment on the accuracy or his work and website, he took a lot of time to throw this together and for that he should be commended.
All in good fun simkon. This gentleman did an amazing job putting this together.