New Bremen vs Marion Local

I think a season-long nagging injury contributed to an eventual change in approach on offense for the Flyers this year - and the two-qb system worked fairly well. It can certainly be argued that NB beat the Flyers on excellent special teams play rather than shutting down the ML offense.

And I'm guessing the kid (apparently, per the original post, a senior on the 2019 squad) who stated that Goodwin got too fancy on offense this season wasn't making a strong indictment against his former coach. Instead, he probably thinks the world of Goodwin, but felt the coach could have had even greater success by keeping things simpler.

Taken out of context, the 'too fancy" statement sounds like a strong criticism when it might not have been. Maybe the kid has heard from his dad about the good ol' days when the Flyer offensive attack was straightforward and unsophisticated - like when tailbacks such as Marc Otte got at least 25 touches every single game!
This is exactly right. He didn't put down Goodwins coaching, and just like everyone else doesn't have to agree with every decision that is made.

It's a five page thread with mainly MSML fans trying to figure out/justify how they lost and how they will win the D7 championship next year. Heck of a run that school had.
No justification, New Bremen won fair and square. Marion got their butts beat. Its happened before even recently against Kirtland and last year week 2, and be sure it'll happen again.

Considering that Marion was replacing many starters from last year's team, I thought the Flyers had a tremendous year. I know we have replaced many very talented senior classes before; but not realistic to think we wouldn't miss a beat. Our 2012 state title was an exception to the rule when we won with so many underclassmen that year starting. The class of 2015 (the class that won 4 state titles) filled in many holes on that team around a Division 1 QB and some very good seniors. I believe 4 of the playoff games were basically coin flip games where we won in overtime or came down to the last play.

Coach Goodwin builds his program year round. When the COVID shutdowns hit last March, it basically shut the kids out of the weight room from March until early June. There was much doubt even having a season this year. Losing out on valuable reps this summer with 7 on 7's and scrimmages definitely hurt the progress of our offense with many 1st year starters. I know other teams had the same issues we did; but a veteran team like New Bremen had their pieces in place and most of their starters at key positions were returning from last year.

I didn't think our defense had a bad game the other night. We held them under 200 total yards and caused 2 turnovers. There were 3 huge special teams plays New Bremen made on top of the made field goals that helped them win. In my mind, New Bremen was an extremely physical team that matched up with us well. We had a lot of things go against us this game. Doesn't matter though. New Bremen made the plays that needed made when they had to and made 1 more play than us to get the win.

We are going to have some big holes to fill after this year with some very important seniors graduating. I believe Griesdorn, Hess or Otte will be the QB next year and the 2 that aren't the QB will be moved to receivers to take advantage of their athletic ability.

We just experienced a 9 straight year run to the state title game. I doubt it will ever be done again by anyone. We have to get over the thought in the Marion Community that anything less than a state championship is a failure.
I agree, after the loss to Kirtland after being up at halftime, it was demoralizing when people in the community thought the team were failures, because we didn't win. I know some guys on the team still have regrets about that game because they think they're failures. The point of my initial post about the kid saying we got too fancy was to say that every now and then people need knocked back into their roots that made them successful and maybe this loss was what did it, and now no win will be taken for granted.

The point of my initial post about the kid saying we got too fancy was to say that every now and then people need knocked back into their roots that made them successful and maybe this loss was what did it, and now no win will be taken for granted.
ML has had kids for a long time, Ken Meyer won 70% of his games in that conference and now 7-3 would result in mass depression. You can't be vanilla offensively or defensively in the MAC or you'll be steamrolled, the level of competition and game planning is more along the lines of small college. Coach Goodwin has been part of raising that bar and I suspect that you can trust his and the staff's judgement.

I recall a game against McComb a few seasons ago where there was an offensive interference call against McComb, fifteen yards and loss of down. Teams get their share of calls for and against them, but even Coach Goodwin said that the rule was "overly punitive."

He is graduated. You run into these guys out and about and they'll get philosophical about the team now, because they still have a stake in the team. These seniors were teammates of theirs last year, so they feel bad when they don't succeed. It wasn't a putdown by any means of Goodwin. He just thought it should've been a lot simpler based on what they are working with. They had 2 big backs that ran down hill real easy, and he thought they should have gone back to what Marion has always been good at. Anyone that played for Goodwin respects his coaching and it makes them who they are today. That doesn't mean they have to agree with everything the man does.
Got it. I was hoping he wasn’t still on the team because I’m not a fan of guys publicly griping about their coach or his methods. I’ve got no issue with two graduates talking in a bar. I would only ask, though, how much anyone outside the team really knows? You mentioned earlier about not having the weapons, but we had two of our better receivers on this year’s team. And don’t forget, when ML beat NB in the regular season the passing game was a big part of it. You can’t just ram the ball down everybody’s throats. Finally, was the original QB1 healthy toward the end of the year? Lots of things that are unknown to the fan base but known by the coaching staff.

No justification, New Bremen won fair and square. Marion got their butts beat. Its happened before even recently against Kirtland and last year week 2, and be sure it'll happen again.
If I recall, it happened week 8 last year to another Auglaize county school.......:)

ML has had kids for a long time, Ken Meyer won 70% of his games in that conference and now 7-3 would result in mass depression. You can't be vanilla offensively or defensively in the MAC or you'll be steamrolled, the level of competition and game planning is more along the lines of small college. Coach Goodwin has been part of raising that bar and I suspect that you can trust his and the staff's judgement.

I recall a game against McComb a few seasons ago where there was an offensive interference call against McComb, fifteen yards and loss of down. Teams get their share of calls for and against them, but even Coach Goodwin said that the rule was "overly punitive."
OPI rule was way too harsh. Want to say they took the kids if down away recently but I could be wrong.

He is graduated. You run into these guys out and about and they'll get philosophical about the team now, because they still have a stake in the team. These seniors were teammates of theirs last year, so they feel bad when they don't succeed. It wasn't a putdown by any means of Goodwin. He just thought it should've been a lot simpler based on what they are working with. They had 2 big backs that ran down hill real easy, and he thought they should have gone back to what Marion has always been good at. Anyone that played for Goodwin respects his coaching and it makes them who they are today. That doesn't mean they have to agree with everything the man does.
You make it seem like ML’s backs were so good that they ran wild. Not really. A few games, they looked really good. Other games, not so much. Add that inconsistency to a really poor passing game, and it was a recipe to be ineffective on the offensive side of the ball. I can only remember 2-3 seasons in Goodwin’s tenure that he didn’t have the benefit of a passing game that could blow the lid off the game when called upon. Kept defenses honest and allowed him to stick to his bread and butter running game with a great mix of passing.

He and his staff have been the best in Ohio for twenty plus years in developing schemes based off of each year’s personnel and succeeding year after year. They had to see something this year in their day-to-day interaction with the kids to go to the offensive scheme that they did.