Neutral playoff game sites

Since no one wants to host the State Finals very badly, how long will it be before even finding neutral site locations for lower round games that are willing to host becomes problematic?
The OHSAA, like other states, tend to want all the games in one place scheduled one after another to avoid splintering their staff to multiple locations to run the finals. All OHSAA officials, etc can be at one location to run the games.

Tiffin - Frost Kalnow stadium is for you. Clover Club actually has great food as well as a huge draft list, and then you can stumble out the back door and across one street and you are at the stadium.
Nice. I rarely get out that way. I'm a NE Ohio resident. My favorites are North Royalton and Lakewood.

When playoffs went to four per region most higher seeded teams hosted playoffs with rare exceptions in first round.

I know from 1987-1992 all of Minster's first round playoff games were at neutral sites. There were four teams per region then.

When playoffs went to four per region most higher seeded teams hosted playoffs with rare exceptions in first round.
Actually from that 1985-1998 period when it was 4 per region, the games were almost exclusively at neutral sites. There were instances when a higher seed hosted (which happened a few times with Steubenville), but those were rare. If you need a resource:

You just said 'play better'. You can't control your opponents outcomes when you schedule in 2 year agreements for home and away.
Higher seeded teams hosting throughout the regional games would force teams to play better competition, and to beat said competition most of the time.
I do think that, due to the expanded playoffs, teams have started to schedule some better out of conference teams. That is the first step.

Higher seeded teams hosting throughout the regional games would force teams to play better competition, and to beat said competition most of the time.
I do think that, due to the expanded playoffs, teams have started to schedule some better out of conference teams. That is the first step.

No, they wouldn't under the Harbin computer. More wins doesnt mean better. It would make ADs more likely to try to pick out weak opponents with a large number of wins, often from lower divisions, which is how to beat the Harbin game.

If you want a tailor-made example, look at D2R7 from this year Columbus City teams got more Harbin points than several other local teams despite playing far easier schedules. And then they all got destroyed in the playoffs because the league isn't competitive and all of their wins were off each other.

Actually from that 1985-1998 period when it was 4 per region, the games were almost exclusively at neutral sites. There were instances when a higher seed hosted (which happened a few times with Steubenville), but those were rare. If you need a resource:

Massillon hosted in 1989 against Walsh. and many other local teams hosted when it was 4 teams per region. After first round d-1 played at rubber bowl alot

Tiffin - Frost Kalnow stadium is for you. Clover Club actually has great food as well as a huge draft list, and then you can stumble out the back door and across one street and you are at the stadium.
But the kitchen closes early.

I could be wrong, but last I heard less and less schools are putting in to host. It absolutory is a hassle for what you get in return.

More wins doesnt mean better.
In general, it does -- with the proviso that wins against smaller schools are discounted. In the aggregate, the disparity between the points earned for inter-division games is an accurate reflection of the projected outcome.

If you want a tailor-made example, look at D2R7 from this year Columbus City teams got more Harbin points than several other local teams despite playing far easier schedules.
How do you objectively quantify easier?

And so what? Did any legit title contenders not qualify? Playoffs are about the cream on top, not the dregs on the bottom. Does it really matter if a team is seeded 8th or 12th? Barring a monumental upset, they're all playing for the right to be curb-stomped by Massillon.

In general, it does -- with the proviso that wins against smaller schools are discounted. In the aggregate, the disparity between the points earned for inter-division games is an accurate reflection of the projected outcome.
In general, it does not, as is evidenced all the time in playoffs when teams like 3-7 Olentangy Liberty (who played a relatively much stronger schedule) beat an 8-2 team like Findlay. Points earned in a Harbin model aren't a remotely accurate reflection of anything because they never account for performance during losses, are evidenced every year like this year when multiple regions had half the lower seeds win 1st round games.

How do you objectively quantify easier?

And so what? Did any legit title contenders not qualify? Playoffs are about the cream on top, not the dregs on the bottom. Does it really matter if a team is seeded 8th or 12th? Barring a monumental upset, they're all playing for the right to be curb-stomped by Massillon.
Not surprisingly, you completely missed the purpose of the conversation above, which is what if later rounds of playoffs hosted home games. In which case, it matters much more what seed you are assigned than it does right now, and places a greater importance of getting the actual seeding numbers done correctly, which Harbin currently does a laughably bad job of.

Not going to waste my time with someone who wants to argue whether or not Columbus City schools have an exceptionally weaker schedule compared to teams like Big Walnut, Hoover, and Perry.

Last edited:
In general, it does not, as is evidenced all the time in playoffs when teams like 3-7 Olentangy Liberty (who played a relatively much stronger schedule) beat an 8-2 team like Findlay.
Do the math. If you can.

BTW, the higher seed won the overwhelming majority of first round games in D2. Does that not qualify as "in general"?

Not surprisingly, you completely missed the purpose of the conversation above, which is what if later rounds of playoffs hosted home games. In which case, it matters much more what seed you are assigned than it does right now, and places a greater importance of getting the actual seeding numbers done correctly, which Harbin currently does a laughably bad job of.
By the time you get to the later rounds, it's all been sorted on the field.

Win in the regular season and reap the rewards.

Not going to waste my time with someone who wants to argue whether or not Columbus City schools have an exceptionally weaker schedule compared to teams like Big Walnut, Hoover, and Perry.
Would that be 4-6 Perry who beat a D6 and two one-win teams? Or Hoover, whose only win over a team with a winning record was D4 Buchtel? Or 5-5 Big Walnut who beat 4 teams with a total of 6 wins? So, the best you've got is three teams who collectively won three games against teams with winning records and were 8-15 against D1 and D2 (but 5-1 against smaller schools)?

If memory serves, the 1980 state championship game between Moeller and Massillon was played in Cincinnati, not Dayton.

Do the math. If you can.

BTW, the higher seed won the overwhelming majority of first round games in D2. Does that not qualify as "in general"?

By the time you get to the later rounds, it's all been sorted on the field.

Win in the regular season and reap the rewards.

Would that be 4-6 Perry who beat a D6 and two one-win teams? Or Hoover, whose only win over a team with a winning record was D4 Buchtel? Or 5-5 Big Walnut who beat 4 teams with a total of 6 wins? So, the best you've got is three teams who collectively won three games against teams with winning records and were 8-15 against D1 and D2 (but 5-1 against smaller schools)?

That would be the Perry team who, by a computer that actually evaluates losses also (Fantastic50), ranks from roughly 150-250 positions higher in Ohio than the 3 CCL schools who finished "ahead" of them in the Harbin computer.

1698875523892.png

and had a strength of schedule that ranked 26th out of 103 D2 schools
1698875172629.png

Where the other 3 schools "ahead" of them had SOS of 100, 101, and 103
1698875603410.png

Good day, sir

That would be the Perry team who, by a computer that actually evaluates losses also (Fantastic50), ranks from roughly 150-250 positions higher in Ohio than the 3 CCL schools who finished "ahead" of them in the Harbin computer.
You mean the Perry team that got thumped last week? The Perry team that is 3-21 over the last three years against teams that aren't a) D6, b) 2-18, or c) 6-24?

You're leaning on a mighty weak post.

No, they wouldn't under the Harbin computer. More wins doesnt mean better. It would make ADs more likely to try to pick out weak opponents with a large number of wins, often from lower divisions, which is how to beat the Harbin game.

If you want a tailor-made example, look at D2R7 from this year Columbus City teams got more Harbin points than several other local teams despite playing far easier schedules. And then they all got destroyed in the playoffs because the league isn't competitive and all of their wins were off each other.
You obviously either didn't comprehend it when I types "better competition". I for one, definitely believe there is a difference between better competition and Harbin cows. If you don't, I can't help you.

I looked at you Perry example. Now look at Massillon this year. I think that will prove my point.

You obviously either didn't comprehend it when I types "better competition". I for one, definitely believe there is a difference between better competition and Harbin cows. If you don't, I can't help you.

I looked at you Perry example. Now look at Massillon this year. I think that will prove my point.

I comprehended and quoted exactly what you said, which is that it would force teams to seek out better competition, which I said is an incredibly dumb take because ADs will do the opposite. They will seek out "Harbin cows" that will keep their computer points high, while playing the least amount of competition possible, because losing a game in that scenario has bigger potential impact.

Massillon this year is a perfect example of my point, not yours. They aren't going to schedule games like St Eds they might lose when there is a noticeable difference between a 1 and a 4 seed. Right now, there isn't. If there were, they wouldn't schedule a game like that in favor of seeking out a Harbin cow they can easily win, but they know will win other games due to being in a weak league or having other poor OOC games.

You mean the Perry team that got thumped last week? The Perry team that is 3-21 over the last three years against teams that aren't a) D6, b) 2-18, or c) 6-24?

You're leaning on a mighty weak post.

Yes, that Perry team, that is an avg of 200 teams better than any of those 3 Columbus City teams despite those facts you stated. All 3 of those CCL teams would be winless playing Perry's schedule over the last 3 years. Which is why all 3 of them also lost in the 1st round of the playoffs, but to lower seeds, where as Perry lost a Uniontown Lake team most humans and computers would call the 3rd best team in the region.