Ned Reeb

swimfan

Ned Reeb is this Saturday and it looks to be a fast meet. St.X, St.F, UA, Iggy, University, Hudson and Solon will all be there. Based on the psych sheet St.X will easily win with a lot of depth, but there could be a battle for second. Surprisingly St. Charles does not look to be the next best after UA from the Central District. Based on the psych sheets Dublin Coffman could be in the hunt for second along with UA, St.F & Iggy. Should be quite a meet.

Some of the times on the psych sheet look a little fast. Not sure we will see 49s in the back and fly or a 55 in the breast. Typically because the Ned Reeb is so early in the season coaches use tapered times from last year for their entry. As a result it is difficult to assess the team race based on the entry times. If a team has used last season's best times they will likely fall short of the predicted finishes. I for one would love to see the swimmers at the top of the psych sheet match their times, but I'm not holding my breath.

i agree with aquacard the times are all over the place with some being pr's the rest being estimates. i still think that sc has a healthy lead over coffman and darby for being the biggest challenge to ua, darby and coffman are essentially 4-5 man teams while sc will have 10 plus scoring at districts most likely. it really does appear though that the aslaner loss has hurt sc quite a bit especially when you think about the relay affect, any guesses on top 3 this weekend for individual events?

As far as the psych times and St. Francis, some of the times are from the state meet from last year and some are from this year. Looking at the other schools, it seems to be a lot of state times from last year. This meet will be a very fast and competitive meet, but do not expect some of these times. Looking forward to one heck of a meet to basically start the season.

It does look like this will be a fast meet. Any predictions on new meet records?
The current records are:
200 Medley R - 1:35.99; Akron Firestone 1999
200 Free - 1:39.59; Dan Miller; St. Francis 2010
200 IM - 1:53.10; Nicholas Crane; University 2010
50 Free - :20.69; John Sands; Granville 2003
100 Fly - :48.66; Austin Staab; Westerville Central 2006
100 Free - :45.93; John Sands; Granville 2003
500 Free - 4:36.23; Ian Stewart-Bates; University 2007
200 Free R - 1:26.92;Akron Firestone 2001
100 Back - :50.90; Austin Staab; Westerville Central 2006
100 Breast - :56.80; Andrew Malone; University 2010
400 Free R - 3:10.74; University 2010

It does look like this will be a fast meet. Any predictions on new meet records?
The current records are:
200 Medley R - 1:35.99; Akron Firestone 1999
200 Free - 1:39.59; Dan Miller; St. Francis 2010
200 IM - 1:53.10; Nicholas Crane; University 2010
50 Free - :20.69; John Sands; Granville 2003
100 Fly - :48.66; Austin Staab; Westerville Central 2006
100 Free - :45.93; John Sands; Granville 2003
500 Free - 4:36.23; Ian Stewart-Bates; University 2007
200 Free R - 1:26.92;Akron Firestone 2001
100 Back - :50.90; Austin Staab; Westerville Central 2006
100 Breast - :56.80; Andrew Malone; University 2010
400 Free R - 3:10.74; University 2010

I will project that St. Francis will break the medley and 200 free relay records if Coach Ransom "stacks" them.

I have heard rumors of Michael Phelps coming back to swim high school because he never used his eligibility. I cant wait to see this play out, perhaps the records will all be rewritten

some takeaways from ned reeb:
-states could be interesting, x has crazy depth but moeller and sf have a lot of top end talent that will compete
-in the central district ua's young kids were very impressive, relays are a work in progress, but it appears they have developed enough depth to win districts or at least be a favorite
-lots of other good schools in central this year (coffman, darby, olentangy's, etc) weird to see worthington not being one at all!
-i think sc will still get second at districts or even 1st their depth will help when you take away the out of town teams
-top public school could be interesting hudson and solon might have enough to top ua in the state format
-suits matter! (almost every team had some if not all kids in suits!)
-GREAT MEET PUT ON BY COSA, CONGRATS (also preeder good job!)

any other thoughts?

-states could be interesting, x has crazy depth but moeller and sf have a lot of top end talent that will compete
-in the central district ua's young kids were very impressive, relays are a work in progress, but it appears they have developed enough depth to win districts or at least be a favorite
-lots of other good schools in central this year (coffman, darby, olentangy's, etc) weird to see worthington not being one at all!
-i think sc will still get second at districts or even 1st their depth will help when you take away the out of town teams
-top public school could be interesting hudson and solon might have enough to top ua in the state format

any other thoughts?

The St. Francis swimmers did not wear fast suits and 3 of the 5 finalist swimmers did not wear caps in any events. They practiced Friday morning in Toledo and swam in a meet Friday night in Columbus, so they were pretty tired on Saturday. The fact that they got 2nd place while having yet another relay disqualified is pretty amazing. Their 3 relays will be in contention and they will have some individuals in contention in Canton, but no one can compete with the depth at St. X; however, it would be very interesting to watch the 5 finalists from St. Francis swim against any 5 from St. X!!!!!

any other thoughts?

I agree with analysis of Central District. Will be far more diverse this year at the top. UA is the favorite because of their scoring in the 500 & Backstroke, but besides Trace they have no freestylers. SC is deep but really has no top end which may let them sneak up on UA at district. Would expect SC to be fully tapered. But to win the district SC will have to improve and have a great meet. Coffman looks very strong in the relays. If SC slips at district Coffman could sneak in for second. Loved seeing St.F & X there. St.F was fast and the new coach seemed impressive...but they still push the relay starts too much especially when there is no need. Sure that drives the coach nuts. X looks secure to win the state with St.F & Moeller battling for second.

any other thoughts?

Thanks for the shout out, COSA does put on a good meet, I was only the talking head, Lew Timberman really worked hard to put this together. I was also surprised by some of the fast racing, Reilman's 50.8, 100 back, beating Staub's record was my winner. However, Hunter Cook's 4:36 500 and 1:53 looked really good for this early.