Nearly 50K showed up for Region 4 semifinal doubleheader in 2001

I was there for that, and believe the number was quite a bit higher than that. I was kid of upset since I paid for a ticket, but so many people showed up that they just started letting people in. There was so many people eager to see the still new stadium and went to see it deeply discounted.

They had planned to just open the lower level of PBS. That filled up real fast. They then opened the middle level. Filled again fast. They then opened upper deck & it was just about all the way full. It was a truly incredible atmosphere for high school games.

But heaven forbid a state championship game at PBS or UC's Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati....
Wouldn't want that!

And for my money, Nippert is the best place to watch a high school game. Plenty of parking, bars and restaurants, beautiful facility, etc...

I was there for that, and believe the number was quite a bit higher than that. I was kid of upset since I paid for a ticket, but so many people showed up that they just started letting people in.

There was so many people eager to see the still new stadium and went to see it deeply discounted.

They had planned to just open the lower level of PBS. That filled up real fast. They then opened the middle level. Filled again fast. They then opened upper deck & it was just about all the way full. It was a truly incredible atmosphere for high school games.

But heaven forbid a state championship game at PBS or UC's Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati....
Wouldn't want that!

And for my money, Nippert is the best place to watch a high school game. Plenty of parking, bars and restaurants, beautiful facility, etc...

I'm typically a NEO poster but this caught my eye for a couple reasons.

It sounds like people more seized a chance to see the new stadium on the cheap than they were there to see top quality HS Football and back their favorite teams. I'm sure the atmosphere was Great but probably not reflective of the actual interest of the fans (what with attendance state wide on the decline in general except for certain pockets of extremely high interest.)

Having said that, I am in favor of either holding the championships in Columbus at all time (centrally located and more or less fair or unfair for everyone in equal measure ) OR... rotating them around the State and letting every Region (even SEO if they could use Peden Stadium at OU in Athens) &/or large populated areas get into a hosting rotation. Cinci has some good venues as stated above, and they ought to get the same shot that Columbus and Canton are currently getting, if they put together a bid.

I bet 25,000 would attend a D1/D2 regional final doubleheader of St. X vs Colerain and LaSalle vs Winton Woods on a Saturday. (Depending on the weather)

I attended a regional matchup at the Rubber Bowl between Ignatius and Massillon in Zwick's senior year. The Rubber Bowl had a capacity of around 35,000 and people were sitting in the aisles because all the seats were taken.

Wouldn't want that!

Has a bid to do this been presented?

I'm typically a NEO poster but this caught my eye for a couple reasons.

It sounds like people more seized a chance to see the new stadium on the cheap than they were there to see top quality HS Football and back their favorite teams. I'm sure the atmosphere was Great but probably not reflective of the actual interest of the fans (what with attendance state wide on the decline in general except for certain pockets of extremely high interest.)

Having said that, I am in favor of either holding the championships in Columbus at all time (centrally located and more or less fair or unfair for everyone in equal measure ) OR... rotating them around the State and letting every Region (even SEO if they could use Peden Stadium at OU in Athens) &/or large populated areas get into a hosting rotation. Cinci has some good venues as stated above, and they ought to get the same shot that Columbus and Canton are currently getting, if they put together a bid.

Thanks for your input. UC's Nippert Stadium often had 25,000+ for playoff games involving Elder, Moeller, Colerain and X 10-15 years ago. And on a serious note, I really do wish the kids from NE (and central) OHIO had an opportunity to play there. It's a fantastic venue.

Having said all that, will state title games now be played at the HOF Stadium?
Sounds like a beautiful facility.....

It sounds like people more seized a chance to see the new stadium on the cheap than they were there to see top quality HS Football and back their favorite teams.

New stadium, fantastic matchups, $10 for two games, and a 71 degree temperature were all factors in the attendance.

I bet 25,000 would attend a D1/D2 regional final doubleheader of St. X vs Colerain and LaSalle vs Winton Woods on a Saturday. (Depending on the weather)

If that's what the R4/R8 finals end up being, absolutely. Those would be 2 heavyweight games back-to-back.

I really miss the Saturday playoff doubleheaders.

I remember the 88 State Championship at the Shoe for Canton Central and Versailles ... I know it was a double header but cannot remember the other pairing. There had to be over 25K for that one. Nowhere near the 50K but still a big crowd. Miss the double headers as well.

I think the biggest one game crowd I attended was the 97 State Semi McKinley vs Iggy at the Rubber Bowl... that place was packed that evening. Great Game.

I attended a regional matchup at the Rubber Bowl between Ignatius and Massillon in Zwick's senior year. The Rubber Bowl had a capacity of around 35,000 and people were sitting in the aisles because all the seats were taken.

Not doubting a ton of people were there. But general admission with bleachers is notorious for overrepresenting the number of people. And a stadium as old as the Rubber Bowl might not even be using 18" per seat. Without Japanese subway style handler shoving people into place, one bench holding 20 people might only fit 15-16 real people and yet look full. And yet that cuts 20-25% of the crowd.

It's just how people spread out.

A lot of 2001 had to do with opening the new Paul Brown Stadium; however, another year of note was 2005. The Region 4 semifinal at Paul Brown Staidum drew approximately 45,000 fans for the Centerville-Wayne and Colerain-St. X double header, and the crowd size had all to do with the quality of the football being played. In what will never be topped as the best playoff doubleheader in Ohio history, Wayne beat Centerville 29-28 to cap a comeback from a 21-point deficit including going for 2 later in the game, and then St. Xavier beat Colerain 12-9 in overtime on a walk-off 20-yd wheel route to Darius Ashley.

Wouldn't want that!

The 1980 state championship game between Massillon Washington and Cincinnati Moeller was played at Nippert Stadium with around 23,000 fans in attendance.

The 1980 state championship game between Massillon Washington and Cincinnati Moeller was played at Nippert Stadium with around 23,000 fans in attendance.

Unfair that Massillon had to go all the way to Moeller's backyard to face the 4-time state champs!

Is that the only time the title game was played in Cincy?

Once in nearly 50 years???

Unfair that Massillon had to go all the way to Moeller's backyard to face the 4-time state champs!

Actually, the original site chosen for the game was the University of Dayton's Welcome Stadium. Many Massillon fans complained because of the inadequate size of that facility. The OHSAA commish, at that time, Richard Armstrong, moved the game to Cincinnati. He was irritated that he was receiving many phone calls asking for a change in venue. He never thought Massillon fans would show up in the thousands at either site. Of course, he was wrong. LOL!!

No, not at all. Thousands of Tiger fans enjoyed the trip to Cincy, except for the result of the game.:mad::mad:

Thank heavens Darius caught that ball. One of the best games I've ever seen. Both teams were outrageously good. Nothing compared to the stress of getting out of the region..

They have the attendance for that game at 29,000 +. I never believed the OHSAA numbers anyway. In 94 they had the attendance for Massillon McKinley at 34,208 in the rubber bowl. There wasn't a double header either. I miss that old place, what great times we had there.

Not doubting a ton of people were there. But general admission with bleachers is notorious for overrepresenting the number of people. And a stadium as old as the Rubber Bowl might not even be using 18" per seat. Without Japanese subway style handler shoving people into place, one bench holding 20 people might only fit 15-16 real people and yet look full. And yet that cuts 20-25% of the crowd.

It's just how people spread out.[/QUOTE]

I've "spread out" some since then.:Ohno::Ohno:

I may be wrong but I thought Massillon played Moeller at the shoe on a Sunday afternoon in the early 80s with about 40,000 present. This was a state title game,beautiful warm day.