NCL White Division Champiinship Game: VASJ beats CCC 61-55

Bball216

Tonight was a game that was basically the NCL White Division championship game @ Cleveland Central Catholic. The game included everything you have come to expect from at game played there. - thuggery, technical fouls, athletic plays and fan ejections. The night started by CCC having several people sitting during the national anthem and ended with a large lady getting tossed for cussing, flipping the VASJ players, fans and refs the bird and throwing her popcorn all over the court. CCC might be trying to duplicate what VASJ does by putting their players in suit coats prior to the game - but that is where the comparison stops. I feel bad because there are some great coaches who came over from Chanel when it closed on the staff - but they are working with thugs.

CCC like always has talent - but no discipline. It does not matter who the head coach is, it's always the same thing. It's by far and away the WORST place to watch a game. This is the second time this season there has been fan issues. I was told it was the point guards Mom (cannot verify that). If it was its no wonder he was t'ed up and she was ejected. You wonder why CCC is the way it is - look at the fans. As for the game it was back and fourth all night until VASJ took over in the last 5mins. Higgins was a beast and dropped 31 on them and the Vikings just ignored the trash talk and thuggish behavior to walk out with a solid 61-55 win. After the game several players refused to shake hands - classy. There is a reason why VASJ is who they are and have had the success they have and why CCC is who they are and this keeps happening. Until they give people a reason to think differently it will continue to be viewed as a program and school full of thugs - because that's what they are.

CCC is doing its work in, perhaps, the city's toughest neighborhood...and succeeding beyond anyone's imagination. It's enrollment is up in recent years, somewhere in the vicinity of 700...50% larger than VASJ. They wish they had CCC's enrollment...and their endowment.

I went to this game last year at CCC...no trouble.

You obviously were not there tonight. Everything I posted was true and happened - the neighborhood is an excuse. There is NOTHING about CCC any school would want - except for their football stadium. No trouble when the varsity had to sit at VASJ either. Why were they sitting - a fight with SVSM. Notice the pattern.

You obviously were not there tonight. Everything I posted was true and happened - the neighborhood is an excuse. There is NOTHING about CCC any school would want - except for their football stadium. No trouble when the varsity had to sit at VASJ either. Why were they sitting - a fight with SVSM. Notice the pattern.

I mentioned two other things you would want...their enrollment and their endowment.

Bball216's view of the world...Ignatius...arrogant and mean, massive, heartless; Central Catholic...thuggish brutes; Euclid...well-meaning morons. At least you're consistent.

Here are my true thoughts - not those of CatAlum.

Ignatius - many feel like their fan base is elitist and arrogant, I'm sure some are. I personally have never experienced it and I have been there a ton of times. Never had an issue there and feel incredibly safe there. I wish they had a bigger gym and did not sell season tickets. Big games sell out insanely fast.

Euclid - horribly run program and a bad AD. Winless this year and the last 5 years or so it's a bit dangerous to stay to the end of a game depending on the opponent. Nowhere near the same Euclid us alumni remember.

CCC - the people who work the door and concession stand are very nice. Not all but a large part of the fan base and usually a few players are petty thuggish. Does something happen at EVERY CCC home game - no, but it feels like something could go down any minute. The place just has a bad vibe. It's not a coincidence that stuff keeps happening there - it's a pattern. Who lost a state championship because they showboated and hug on the rim - let me think CCC. You can say what you want and make any excuse about the neighborhood or the economy, but the program always has these problems. You can use basketball to embrace change and be different but they don't. It seems like they like being the bad boys and the embrace the negative aspects of their surroundings. That is why until they change they will be viewed and punks and thugs. When you play the way they do there is nothing else to call them. Read Cleveland.Com and you will see what I described really happened.

I'm going to the Ed's vs VASJ game tonight. It will be packed to the ceiling and I'm willing to bet the game will be intense and without issue - wonder why.

I mentioned two other things you would want...their enrollment and their endowment.

I don't think CCC is at 700 but for the sake of argument, we'll use that number. VASJ rejects about 50 to 60 kids a year, many which are taken by CCC and other well known Catholic schools. If we accepted those kids, on top of the 130 per year we do accept, we would be at 700 too, but it's not worth it. VASJ is selective in the quality of student they accept and that suits us just fine.

Last edited:
I was talking with some Ed's people at a fund raiser (for a VASJ family) today and Ed's is trying to get their game vs CCC changed to 2pm. They do not want to play at that venue in the evening. It's not just me that is the general feeling with many schools and their fan base.