NCAA Rankings 12/3/2019 & It's Unanimous

bdhof

The big news...
After tOSU, PSU and OKST took upset dual losses, #1 Iowa was set to be challenged by #3 WISC. Iowa flexed their muscles, crushing WISC 32-3. Three top 3 ranked Badgers went down as #2 Desanto beat #1 Gross 6-2, #2 Marinelli beat #3 Wick and #12 Cass beat #2 Hilger. Two other ranked H2Hs went to Iowa as #9 Murin beat #10 Moran and #3 Lugo beat #17 Martin. I don't know if PSU has noticed yet, but this Iowa team is really good.

Other big news...
On the local front, tOSU beat a pretty solid Cornell team, with Romero getting the best win of his career, beating AA and #14 Womack 6-5 to remain undefeated.

And maybe the biggest news...
Iowa is now a consensus #1, with a 24.5 pt lead over PSU. While this lead is significant, it's still only December, so a lot can happen - RS getting pulled, injuries, etc. They meet for their dual on 1/31. That should be fun to watch. Iowa soared 15 pts this week, mostly due to Desanto and Cass. Meanwhile, PSU slipped 1.5 pts. The drumbeat will get louder for Beard to pull the shirt as Conel struggles. Cael could wait until early 2020 to make that move, giving Conel more time to see what he's got.

Now on to the rankings...

Last edited:

These rankings compile the average rankings of five venues - Amateur Wrestling News (AWN), Intermat (IM), The Open Mat (TOM), Trackwrestling (TW), and Wrestler Insider Magazine (WIN). Last year Flowrestling (Flo) was included but they took their rankings behind a paywall this year so they won't be included unless that changes (which I doubt). When one or more of these venues do not submit a ranking, then the compilation will be of those venues that did. This week all 5 submitted rankings. I will focus on the top four teams and the normal standard bearers are the top four - PSU, tOSU, IOWA and OKST. IOWA and PSU are clearly 1 & 2 this year, and IOWA is trying to pull away, but PSU is still really good. The battle for 3rd is very crowded. I will always include tOSU and will include OKST for now unless a clear selection for the 4th team develops. I give each team an average ranking for their lineup, awarding advancement and placement points (no bonus pts). The plus/minus is the difference between this week and last week.

Weekly Rankings
1 IOWA 128 (plus 15)
2 PSU 103.5 (minus 1.5)
3 tOSU 54 (minus 1.5)
4 OKST 43.5 (plus 1.5)

Last edited:
Who's Number Three?
As stated above, tOSU standings in the team race are uncertain with 3rd place up for grabs. IM has them 3rd, TW has them 4th (NEB 3rd), WIN has them 3rd, and TOM has them 3rd. The current landscape for the battle for 3rd looks like this:
3rd - Ohio State - 57.0*
4th - Nebraska - 53.0
5th - Northern Iowa - 51.5
6th - Oklahoma State - 50.5*
7th - North Carolina State - 49.0
8th - Arizona State - 48.5
9th - Wisconsin - 46.0
10th - Iowa State - 43.5

*These numbers may be different than what I use in the Top 4 calculation above, due to using IM's team points which include bonus pts. Other venues do not use bonus pts, nor do I.

Last edited:
tOSU has 3 wrestlers ranked in the top 8. Here's the list of Ohio wrestlers ranked Top 8 by IM, including affiliates.

6 Alex Mackall Iowa State
none
1 Luke Pletcher Ohio State

2 Dom Demas Oklahoma
7 Josh Heil Campbell
none
3 David Carr Iowa State
2 Alex Marinelli Iowa
none
7 Ben Darmstadt Cornell
1 Kollin Moore Ohio State

7 Matt Stencel Central Michigan
8 Chase Singletary Ohio State

Consensus #1
197 Kollin Moore Ohio State

Other tOSU ranked wrestlers:

149 Sasso #12, 165 Smith #12, 174 Romero #14

Let me know if I missed any OH guys in the top 8.

Last edited:
Coming up this week...
#3 tOSU vs CKLV (more on this later in the week)
#2 PSU vs #14 LEH & PENN
#1 IOWA vs #11 PRIN
#10 OKST #11 PRIN

Just realized that I used last week's TOM Team rankings. It won't make much of a difference (only used for Who's #3), but I'll tweek it tomorrow when it comes out.

Late night news- Aaron Brooks looks like he's gonna wrestle for Penn State tonight at 184. Top 2018 HS recruit, junior/cadet world medalist. Has wins over #18 ranked Harvey and #25 Samuelson last year, so could be ranked as soon as next week.