NCAA Brackets

Wrestlingfan21

Brackets are out and alot of tough draws for OSU. Mendez gets Vito 2nd round, Sasso gets Gomes 2nd round, Romero same quarter as Brooks. Just wow looking at the draws the Buckeyes got. Might be the toughest draws I can remember overall as a team.

Brackets are out and alot of tough draws for OSU. Mendez gets Vito 2nd round, Sasso gets Gomes 2nd round, Romero same quarter as Brooks. Just wow looking at the draws the Buckeyes got. Might be the toughest draws I can remember overall as a team.
I had the same thoughts. Gomez is still Gomez, but if Big Ten tourny was any indication, he might still be too hobbled to really keep up.

The others just suck. Why was Brooks at #3?

Yes, a lot of these brackets are very questionable. I really wonder how Max Dean got seeded 9th. I may be missing something there?

Does not being a returning national champ mean anything? In the case of Brooks and Dean?
You would think, which is why I asked about Brooks, especially his only being 1 loss. Dean I can see why he's not a top 3 seed considering the losses he did have, but 9 seems crazy, even if he lost to the 8 at some point.

Every year, people have questions about the seeding and brackets, and (not to criticize any specific poster) it's usually because they do not realize there is a specific formula determining rankings. From FloWrestling:

First, we must now how the NCAA tournament is seeded. The NCAA uses a matrix formula for every qualifier that looks like this:

Here are the initial criteria you need to know, and then we will explain how they are applied:

1. Head-to-head competition — 25 percent
  2. Quality wins — 20 percent
  3. Coaches Ranking — 15 percent
  4. Results against common opponents — 10 percent
  5. RPI (Ratings Percentage Index) — 10 percent
  6. Qualifying event placement — 10 percent
  7. Win % — 10 percent
Essentially you plug all of that into a matrix and it spits out a number. The wrestler with the higher number gets the higher seed. The committee has the ability to move you either one or two spots (I forget, it's not more than that), but for the most part the matrix tells you where a wrestler is. Only this year's results are taken into account, which is why some human intervention is needed (RBY finished lower than Fix in the matrix, but the committee rightfully flipped them). Brooks only had thirteen matches and his best win was Kaleb Romero- the All-Star Classic win again Keckeisen doesn't count, it's listed as an exhibition. And Max Dean's wins look much better if you were to tell me them at the end of last year instead of March 9th, 2023- Jacob Warner, Yonger Bastida, and Gavin Hoffman haven't had as much succcess this year as last year.

From @wrestlingnomad on Twitter. Hidlay had more quality wins, higher win %, and Brooks didn't wrestle enough matches to qualify for RPI. Past accomplishments/head-to-heads are not taken into account. Hidlay finished (much) higher in matrix, Hidlay is seeded over Brooks.

1678377597454.png