NBA will offer 18 year olds, not eligible for the draft, 125k contract

Arrogate

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...e-ncaa?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

I wonder how this will change things for the NCAA. I still think a lot of elite players will initially choose college because they probably get paid more ;)

Not a lot is known about how they will select "elite" talent, how that talent will be divided up, how many select contracts will be even given etc.

Probably a step in the right direction. I would imagine the age rule will be debated and changed during the next CBA

It'll take awhiile before this gains traction but I think it will eventually. No reason not to though. Coaching to get you ready for the NBA, easier adjustment to NBA life and season, no distraction of classes or pretending to going to classes.

I would think they will have to create a G League team that won't be affiliated with any specific NBA team. I would also assume they would have to enter the draft after playing their one year in the G League bc if their rights were attained before/while playing in the G League they would lose out on value.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a complete expansion/overhaul of this at the next CBA. I would think eventually they lower the age requirement and teams will draft them accordingly and the 125k thing will be for maybe the "next level" of talent that maybe cant go straight to the NBA or need time developing.

It will be a trickle down eventually hurting the little guy IMO. Teams that are in the 2nd tier wont get the same quality of player because the big dogs will eventually be going after predominantly 4 year guys. The blue blood's will still rule by taking players away from Xavier, UC, and other good programs. It will be a domino effect and the bottom and middle of college basketball will get a whole lot worse. I am not saying UC and Xavier will fall off, I think both will continue to have success, just that it will be that much harder IMO.

Have they said anything about how they will be incorporated into the G League? I wonder if they just put them on random teams or if they create a new team so no team makes "inroads"/has an advantage with being familiar with them before they can be signed/drafted.

Once the bugs get worked out this will cut into the top-end college talent IMO. On top of that $125K you have to factor in shoe contracts and other endorsements that guys could "legally" get. I can see Nike, Adidas, Under Armour and now also Puma paying six figures for one year shoe deals with guys they expect to be high end lottery picks a year later, at which point they'll offer multi-million multi-year deals.

Factoring in a short-term shoe deal with a company that's trying to build a connection in the event the player meets expectations, I could see projected lottery bound guys pulling in a few hundred grand easily during their G League year without the hassle of keeping it under the table or of having to go to classes for a semester.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Have they said anything about how they will be incorporated into the G League? I wonder if they just put them on random teams or if they create a new team so no team makes "inroads"/has an advantage with being familiar with them before they can be signed/drafted.

IF they are smart they would try to put them with a franchise within the said fanbase of the area they came from...if possible, to drive some attendance.

There will not be many who opt for this for many reasons. I still think, at least I hope to think, that most level headed parents are at least on board with the idea of college. Johnny may not make it big in the NBA. This option is only for the .5% of players each year, and it's still not a great option.
NBA G-Leaguers, many 22-26 years old, will feast on 17-18 year old green kids who "think" they are all that. Put a kid in a G league and he falls flat on his face, his draft stock is gone. Go to college, be a big fish in a little pond for one more year and your draft stock rises, or at least does not get hurt.

There will not be many who opt for this for many reasons. I still think, at least I hope to think, that most level headed parents are at least on board with the idea of college. Johnny may not make it big in the NBA. This option is only for the .5% of players each year, and it's still not a great option.
Initially I think you're right. Eventually though this will become the norm. Your hope regarding college is incorrect though. It's all about the money.

NBA G-Leaguers, many 22-26 years old, will feast on 17-18 year old green kids who "think" they are all that. Put a kid in a G league and he falls flat on his face, his draft stock is gone. Go to college, be a big fish in a little pond for one more year and your draft stock rises, or at least does not get hurt.
I disagree. Most lottery picks can play just fine in the G League. Most of these guys come in and do fine as Rookie NBA players and that's who this is targeting right?

A lot of the guys that will be attracted to this are already signing with whoever offers them the most money/benefits to play in college.

It's all about the money.

125k for one year is enough to pay for a degree.....with money left over. Not to mention any endorsements or money made from their name...

If it were my kid I tell him take the money and if you want to get a degree after your career/attempt at making the NBA then go back to school. It is an easy decision.

Darius Bazley just inked an endorsement deal with New Balance that's valued at anywhere from $1 million to $14 million depending on a variety of factors. While Bazley trains this year, he's going to "intern" at New Balance for a few months in the winter.

If this is the endorsement deal road we're heading down for one year G-League, overseas, and privately trained guys, you can forget about seeing the top 10-15 high school guys play in college in the very near future.

Also, I think people will choose college because they can also get somewhat of an education and probably get paid more. However, I do believe that money right away will appeal to some people. So who knows?