NBA thread

Ja Morant is not helping the stereotype of a current NBA player.

and we now have this time in pro sports, thanks to Kevin Love and Ben Simmons, that you just throw in mental illness, anxiety and everyone treats you with kid gloves. I think these folks need to be aware that it's pretty normal to be nervous when you are asked to become independent, take on adult tasks, when you have people relying on you, etc. Our young generation is very soft because it's permitted for them to be that way.

and we now have this time in pro sports, thanks to Kevin Love and Ben Simmons, that you just throw in mental illness, anxiety and everyone treats you with kid gloves. I think these folks need to be aware that it's pretty normal to be nervous when you are asked to become independent, take on adult tasks, when you have people relying on you, etc. Our young generation is very soft because it's permitted for them to be that way.
Better this than Michael Irvin stabbing his teammate in the neck, than Karl Malone impregnating 13-year olds, than Todd Marinovich, Dwight Goodson, Lawrence Taylor and Darryl Strawberry becoming cokeheads.

From what generation were those stars delivered?

Better this than Michael Irvin stabbing his teammate in the neck, than Karl Malone impregnating 13-year olds, than Todd Marinovich, Dwight Goodson, Lawrence Taylor and Darryl Strawberry becoming cokeheads.

I didn't hear any of those guys claiming mental illness, anxiety, pressure, etc. Now Marinovich was wacky because he Dad was nuts. that was a form of child abuse he endured. The others are just dumb decisions made by young athletes who get alot of money. And Malone, young girls have had sex with athletes and band members for the longest time. Minor sex laws are 100 times tougher today than back then.

And Malone, young girls have had sex with athletes and band members for the longest time. Minor sex laws are 100 times tougher today than back then.
1678130657488.jpeg

From a generation of athletes that was blessed to not have their transgressions and questionable commentary criticized 24/7 in a social media era sports media.

Jay Williams used the expression "doing it for the 'gram (Instagram)". I'd agree. Totally dumb and ignorant choice made here based on...looking for attention??

When I first saw this, my thought was that it was so predictably stupid with consequences to follow that it could have been a "when keeping it real goes wrong" skit on Chappelle's Show.

Jay Williams used the expression "doing it for the 'gram (Instagram)". I'd agree. Totally dumb and ignorant choice made here based on...looking for attention??

When I first saw this, my thought was that it was so predictably stupid with consequences to follow that it could have been a "when keeping it real goes wrong" skit on Chappelle's Show.
Yet these pro sports leagues have rookie seminars and bring in old guys who tell them the pitfalls and they still do it. The upper crust of athletes are never told no, never told they can't do something so there is no repercussions. There is still many of these guys who want to be gangbangers and keep their crew in tact. The NBA may make an example of Morant and hit him with a big suspension.

He is a six-time NBA All-Star, four-time All-NBA team selection, twice on the second All NBA team and twice on the third All NBA team. He won two NBA championships and was the NBA Rookie of the Year.
I think his resume is a little light for a Lakers jersey retirement.

He spent 6 1/2 years as a Laker. In those years, he was a three-time All-Star, had one All-NBA second team and two All-NBA third teams. He generally averaged about 18 points, 10 rebounds and 3.5 assists in those years. And obviously he was never the lead dog on the team.

That seems a little short of a jersey retirement to me, but I guess being part of two championship teams probably was the deciding factor.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I think his resume is a little light for a Lakers jersey retirement.

He spent 6 1/2 years as a Laker. In those years, he was a three-time All-Star, had one All-NBA second team and two All-NBA third teams. He generally averaged about 18 points, 10 rebounds and 3.5 assists in those years. And obviously he was never the lead dog on the team.

That seems a little short of a jersey retirement to me, but I guess being part of two championship teams probably was the deciding factor.

Smells fishy. I think two other factors, one his relationship with Kobe Bryant, and two being an international player. How many international players jerseys have been retired? No coincidence the NBA is always looking to pimp its international brand.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who questioned this.

While in this NBA tread, absolutely great that JJ Redick called out Kendrick Perkins on First Take the other day. Perk called NBA mvp voters racists because Nikola Jokich is likely to win his third MVP. On ESPN it's just normal to call everything racist. JJ went right after Perk and said ESPN and First Take makes up narratives with no facts behind them. Of course Stephen A and the eye candy on there fall behind the "it's a debate show" excuse.

I can think of any number of Lakers who belong up there of ahead of Gasol, I was just pointing out his accomplishments. At the end of the day it's really about whether Jeannie thinks he should be up there.

While in this NBA tread, absolutely great that JJ Redick called out Kendrick Perkins on First Take the other day. Perk called NBA mvp voters racists because Nikola Jokich is likely to win his third MVP. On ESPN it's just normal to call everything racist. JJ went right after Perk and said ESPN and First Take makes up narratives with no facts behind them. Of course Stephen A and the eye candy on there fall behind the "it's a debate show" excuse.
I noticed Kendrick Perkins got very shouty as soon as he got called out for his racist viewpoint, unsuccessfully hoping to talk loud enough to stop Redick from eviscerating him.

Perkins was racist about a week ago when he heavily implied Nash, Dirk and Jokic only won MVP awards because they’re white. And no one was there to call him out on it that day. Although even Stephen A. halfway pushed back on that garbage.

The Morant thing is a mess. I'd have a tough time committing long term to that absent a real change in the direction of his life. That being said, we need to realize some of this is a symptom of the environment in which some of these kids are raised, which is far different that those of the critics. Not an excuse, but an explanation as to how these things develop.

That whole thing was a mess in so many directions. The actual topic itself is deeply complicated in its own right. Just a lot going on.

As for the fireworks on TV…

• Perk probably isn’t the guy that should be claiming “media bias.” (I suspect this is the one thing you can somehow get 95% of people to agree on WRT this topic.)

• I like Perk in general, but him evading (or going around, whatever you want to call it) JJ’s rebuttal when JJ voices his disagreement with both the general trend of FT and what Perk said — and then shouting down JJ — doesn’t promote a charitable listening to his point. Just not convincing; not in this climate, but also for the fact the multi-directional “talk show” industry that promotes confrontation isn’t really the place to get the point across.

• JJ voiced his disagreement with Perk on the issue, while also making the inference that the dynamic of the show isn’t promoting the presumptive values (in his eyes) of thought-provoking and informative discussion from which viewers can come out more thoughtful. I can’t personally agree with everything JJ said on the former matter, but more to his broader point I think that latter innuendo has been lost in the shuffle as well.

• If the only thing people choose to take away from this is an affirmation of their prior idea of “woke”, that’s fine but they’re clearly missing the point of what JJ was also getting at.

— — —

As for the topic,

There probably is some merit to media bias, and the implication the white voters become enamored (to a fault) toward white players who can conceivably be MVP candidates. But this is such a difficult year to be making that argument. It’s difficult because Jokic has both been absolutely incredible, yet again, with ridiculous stats and because he’s clearly the best player on the best team in the better of the two halves to the Association. Like, the only question of interest in this matter between now and the end of the season is whether Giannis can make up enough ground to make it remotely interesting.

There are two minor “food for thought” things brewing on the impending Joker 3-peat. The first is whether he’s loafing it on defense/is just too generally vulnerable on D this year to hand him the keys to it. Personally, I don’t think it matters and don’t think it’s that interesting. The second is the looming “he better have a ring to show for it.” And that is where it gets hot.

I noticed Kendrick Perkins got very shouty as soon as he got called out for his racist viewpoint, unsuccessfully hoping to talk loud enough to stop Redick from eviscerating him.

Perkins was racist about a week ago when he heavily implied Nash, Dirk and Jokic only won MVP awards because they’re white. And no one was there to call him out on it that day. Although even Stephen A. halfway pushed back on that garbage.

ESPN obviously has a very left leaning agenda, they have changed so much over the last 40 years. I watch only games on there, PTI and a good 30/30 if they have one. Sportscenter with El Duncan or many of the other liberal anchors they have now is just hard to watch.

The Morant thing is a mess. I'd have a tough time committing long term to that absent a real change in the direction of his life. That being said, we need to realize some of this is a symptom of the environment in which some of these kids are raised, which is far different that those of the critics. Not an excuse, but an explanation as to how these things develop.
I, you, we all understand how these kids are raised, that's the issue here. This issue is these guys work hard to become the best at their professions, and they have no understanding of doing the right thing. Where's the agent, where's anyone in this kids life that sits on him? As we know talent always prevails and the NBA kind of likes some of this as they put up with Iverson's antics during his career. That said Morant needs to grow up and understand that the only way he can derail his career is doing self-inflicting damage like this.

That whole thing was a mess in so many directions. The actual topic itself is deeply complicated in its own right. Just a lot going on.

As for the fireworks on TV…

• Perk probably isn’t the guy that should be claiming “media bias.” (I suspect this is the one thing you can somehow get 95% of people to agree on WRT this topic.)

• I like Perk in general, but him evading (or going around, whatever you want to call it) JJ’s rebuttal when JJ voices his disagreement with both the general trend of FT and what Perk said — and then shouting down JJ — doesn’t promote a charitable listening to his point. Just not convincing; not in this climate, but also for the fact the multi-directional “talk show” industry that promotes confrontation isn’t really the place to get the point across.

• JJ voiced his disagreement with Perk on the issue, while also making the inference that the dynamic of the show isn’t promoting the presumptive values (in his eyes) of thought-provoking and informative discussion from which viewers can come out more thoughtful. I can’t personally agree with everything JJ said on the former matter, but more to his broader point I think that latter innuendo has been lost in the shuffle as well.

• If the only thing people choose to take away from this is an affirmation of their prior idea of “woke”, that’s fine but they’re clearly missing the point of what JJ was also getting at.

— — —

As for the topic,

There probably is some merit to media bias, and the implication the white voters become enamored (to a fault) toward white players who can conceivably be MVP candidates. But this is such a difficult year to be making that argument. It’s difficult because Jokic has both been absolutely incredible, yet again, with ridiculous stats and because he’s clearly the best player on the best team in the better of the two halves to the Association. Like, the only question of interest in this matter between now and the end of the season is whether Giannis can make up enough ground to make it remotely interesting.

There are two minor “food for thought” things brewing on the impending Joker 3-peat. The first is whether he’s loafing it on defense/is just too generally vulnerable on D this year to hand him the keys to it. Personally, I don’t think it matters and don’t think it’s that interesting. The second is the looming “he better have a ring to show for it.” And that is where it gets hot.
great post, and lost in this is the utter irony that Perkins and others on ESPN claim racism at every turn, yet, Perk, Jalen Rose, Michael Irvin, Shannon Sharpe, we can go on and on, these guys have jobs at these networks because they are black. Really amusing that many NBA broadcasts have all black hosts, including the new females now. Remember Rachel Nichols got canned.

As far as the MVP, I'm a big Sixers and Embiid fan, but I'll even admit that Jokic has had better seasons and deserves the MVP. IT's really hard to give the MVP to guys who don't play all the time. That's also a component here that few say. Now I will say this season, you could give it to Giannis, Embiid or Jokic. Unless there is an injury to one of these guys, they are all on pace to play 60+ games. All 3 score and rebound like crazy, I think the separation is Jokic, for a center, averages 10 assists per game.

So I just have to chime in on Ja Morant. Is there anything more mellinial than this kid and Ben Simmons? So Morant now enterred himself into "counseling". Now no one is allowed to ask what kind of counseling. It could be drug counsling? alcohol? gambling? anxiety?

Meanwhile his team is in the midst of the season and he just goes away with no timetable for return. You talk about enabling a young man to never take any responsibility for himself. These guys get into trouble and it's anxiety, stress??? Really? They don't know what stress is.

So I just have to chime in on Ja Morant. Is there anything more mellinial than this kid and Ben Simmons? So Morant now enterred himself into "counseling". Now no one is allowed to ask what kind of counseling. It could be drug counsling? alcohol? gambling? anxiety?

Meanwhile his team is in the midst of the season and he just goes away with no timetable for return. You talk about enabling a young man to never take any responsibility for himself. These guys get into trouble and it's anxiety, stress??? Really? They don't know what stress is.
In David Stern's NBA this numbskull would have already been suspended for the remainder of the year and probably at least a chunk of next season, if not all of it.

In the last year, he has:

- had a lawsuit filed against him for allegedly beating up and brandishing a gun at a 17 year old minor that was playing a pickup game at his house (DA declined to file charges)

- been a passenger in a vehicle that allegedly "pointed a red dot laser" at the Pacers team bus while players were loading to leave the arena in Memphis; multiple Pacers players/personnel thought somebody pointed a gun at them

- flashed a gun while making a livestream video amidst a night of spending 50k on stripper tips after a road game in Denver; one assumes he must have brought the firearm with him on the team plane and probably also the locker room at the arena

On paper he begins a 5 year contract extension worth about $200 million next year. If you are the club or his agent, I imagine trying to have your biggest asset get his head out of his before he crosses the point of no return trumps the remainder of this season. Whatever the "cause", he appears to be on a really bad path that without some course correction looks like being a potential future felon that's out of the league.

PTI discussion topic today: should there be a minimum number of games for eligibility for awards (i.e. All NBA selection) to combat load management?

Absolutely. I believe you already have to have at least 58 games to qualify for the scoring title. IMO there should be a minimum requirement of 65 games played (roughly 80% of the season) for these individual awards that often trigger lucrative contract escalators.

In David Stern's NBA this numbskull would have already been suspended for the remainder of the year and probably at least a chunk of next season, if not all of it.

In the last year, he has:

- had a lawsuit filed against him for allegedly beating up and brandishing a gun at a 17 year old minor that was playing a pickup game at his house (DA declined to file charges)

- been a passenger in a vehicle that allegedly "pointed a red dot laser" at the Pacers team bus while players were loading to leave the arena in Memphis; multiple Pacers players/personnel thought somebody pointed a gun at them

- flashed a gun while making a livestream video amidst a night of spending 50k on stripper tips after a road game in Denver; one assumes he must have brought the firearm with him on the team plane and probably also the locker room at the arena

On paper he begins a 5 year contract extension worth about $200 million next year. If you are the club or his agent, I imagine trying to have your biggest asset get his head out of his before he crosses the point of no return trumps the remainder of this season. Whatever the "cause", he appears to be on a really bad path that without some course correction looks like being a potential future felon that's out of the league.
Amen, and this is THE REASON why teams are reluctant to pay guys long term, guaranteed contracts for high dollars. Many fans and media never bring up these things. The Grizzlies have sunk their future into this kid and he's not really making them feel good about it.
As much as I don't like how Adam Silver leads, one other big issue in these leagues is young guys listening to veterans. Many of these young guys come into the league with their own "people" and no one addresses this.

PTI discussion topic today: should there be a minimum number of games for eligibility for awards (i.e. All NBA selection) to combat load management?

Absolutely. I believe you already have to have at least 58 games to qualify for the scoring title. IMO there should be a minimum requirement of 65 games played (roughly 80% of the season) for these individual awards that often trigger lucrative contract escalators.
Good luck to get that by the CBA. But isn't it sad that we have to "incentivze" elite athletes and millionaires to earn awards and even more money? I mean at one point in these guys lives, they play the sport becasue they love it and want to be the best. What happens to them?

I've always said, how many millions do you need ? I mean for the guys who are the top 15-20% player in the league, does it really matter what they make?

So Dallas is struggling and the pundit believe it's because Luka and Kyrie aren't gelling, and Luka is getting frustrated. Do you think that maybe two guys that expect to the control the ball 75% of the time might have a problem playing together (especially when one of them is a freaking kook)? Any team willing to take on Kyrie deserves what they get.