MVL 2023-24

TheBigRed1

I know there's an MVL thread buried somewhere but it has turned into a mess. What's everyone looking like this season? A lot of you know I have grandkids at Tipp so I follow the devils pretty close. I know they lose a decent amount but also return a lot of starters. I don't expect the run they had last year but I guess you just never know.

Trojans will be running the wing-t. Strong preseason schedule with games at Cincinnati Princeton and home vs. Toledo Central Catholic.

Tipp was replacing 21 of 22 starters going into last season, with the coaching staff they have in place, the culture and the type of kids they have, I don’t care how many kids Tipp is replacing, they will still be competitive. For the first time I think ever, Tipp will have over 100 kids on the team this year. For a small D3 school, those are insane numbers. If Tipp ever had some size on the lines they’d be insane.

Trojans will be running the wing-t. Strong preseason schedule with games at Cincinnati Princeton and home vs. Toledo Central Catholic.
Strong pre-season schedule, but the opener against Dunbar again this year is kind of a let down. A tougher non-conference opponent might help come playoff time.

Sounds like after the initial large donations, the donations regarding funding for a turf field at Troy has all but dried up, currently placing the project on indefinite hold.
🤔 What happens to the funding?

I prefer grass over turf...like God intended when he passed the commandments down to Moses or Noah

Strong pre-season schedule, but the opener against Dunbar again this year is kind of a let down. A tougher non-conference opponent might help come playoff time.
Princeton can be a hit or miss but I like it. TCC, I dont know what they have but history dictates, they are quality opponent. Dunbar...years ago, that would be a good game but now, that is a tuner game and nothing wrong with that to get things on track...essentially another preseason game. You'll know how your team will compete in the playoffs come week 7, when they are playing their best and peaking and week 1 is a distant memory. I dont hold a lot of stock in the first game of the year...they can be ugly even with a win.

I expect Fairborn to be sneaky this year, they have a great coach and some young studs. Butler has some really strong underclassman coming up that could lead them to compete if the coach gets buy in. Troy’s QB situation is not good. The Liette twins at Tipp are two of the best players in the conference and Tipp has an extremely talented freshman class.

Tipp will be the team to beat in the MVL again this year. They return a good group and Matt has shown that his teams just reload. One of the smallest schools in the MVL as far as enrollment and will have maybe the biggest team in terms of overall numbers. We have the culture that everyone else wants. I don’t say that to be pompous just a fact.

I expect Fairborn to be sneaky this year, they have a great coach and some young studs. Butler has some really strong underclassman coming up that could lead them to compete if the coach gets buy in. Troy’s QB situation is not good. The Liette twins at Tipp are two of the best players in the conference and Tipp has an extremely talented freshman class.
What do the Devil's numbers look like this year? I've always been impressed with the amount of kids they put into an uniform. Since you guys left the CBC I haven't tracked so well, what's the deal with the Liette twins?

What do the Devil's numbers look like this year? I've always been impressed with the amount of kids they put into a uniform. Since you guys left the CBC I haven't tracked so well, what's the deal with the Liette twins?
109 kids 9th through 12th grade. The freshman and sophomore classes alone have over 60 kids between the two. The Liette twins are bigger and faster than last year and I expect both to compete for conference player of the years honors. Not entirely sure if Cael will be going two ways as the starting running back but he will definitely be getting carry’s. Evan broke the single season receptions record last year, and without Stanley Clyne, I fully expect him to break his own record this season.

109 kids 9th through 12th grade. The freshman and sophomore classes alone have over 60 kids between the two. The Liette twins are bigger and faster than last year and I expect both to compete for conference player of the years honors. Not entirely sure if Cael will be going two ways as the starting running back but he will definitely be getting carry’s. Evan broke the single season receptions record last year, and without Stanley Clyne, I fully expect him to break his own record this season.
GREAT Numbers!!! Thanks for the info and I will be sure to track the twins this year. Good luck to the Red Devils

For a smaller D3 school in a sport that is seeing numbers decline across the board, it truly is an impressive number. It’s what tends to happen when you have a great coach and winning culture
Week one vs Bellbrook should be a barn burner, so to speak. Get the W in that, looks like Piqua is the only thing that separates the Devil's from a 10-0 season...IMO, and not dismissing the others on the schedule as Troy and Xenia could be a snake bite.

1687349206393.png

Just catching up on news and came across this. Hats off to Coach Harden as a Greene County top performer.

From the Xenia Daily Gazette (11 May 2023):
Xenia High School Football coach Maurice Harden was the Ohio Prep Sportswriters Association Division II Co-Coach of the Year in the state.
Harden, of Xenia, was named the head football coach in February 2021. In just his second season, he led Xenia to the first undefeated regular season in school history and a 10-1 overall record. Harden’s team reached new heights on and off the field. The Bucs finished the season with more than 12 school records broken, seven all-state honors, and a 3.71 team GPA.

Last edited:
Do they have a capable QB to get him the ball though? I feel like that's the biggest question with keeping their offense rolling this season
I think this year's QB play will be the true test of Burgbacher's coaching. I don't think Tipp will have a QB the caliber of Poronsky leading the offense, but it won't be the drop off to the typical QB Tipp has had in the past. A combination of the new offense and coaching will lead to more consistent quality play across the board. We have seen it at many other positions, and I think we'll see it at QB as well.

I think this year's QB play will be the true test of Burgbacher's coaching. I don't think Tipp will have a QB the caliber of Poronsky leading the offense, but it won't be the drop off to the typical QB Tipp has had in the past. A combination of the new offense and coaching will lead to more consistent quality play across the board. We have seen it at many other positions, and I think we'll see it at QB as well.
Braden Burgbacher is recovering from a torn ACL. He seems to have the most talent of the bunch but it is yet to be seen if he will be ready for the season. There are a few others including Peyton Shultz who will be competing for the job and it is going to be a good battle. Watch out for freshman QB Larkin Thomas, he will be a good one

Braden Burgbacher is recovering from a torn ACL. He seems to have the most talent of the bunch but it is yet to be seen if he will be ready for the season. There are a few others including Peyton Shultz who will be competing for the job and it is going to be a good battle. Watch out for freshman QB Larkin Thomas, he will be a good one
I'm curious how you would know that Burgbacher 1. Tore his ACL and 2. Has the most talent? Considering his only recorded stats last year was against West Carollton. It makes me think you are either a VERY close parent or (god forbid) a tipp coach. As a tipp guy myself I don't appreicate you throwing all this information out for these people to read. You have said the exact number of players on tipp's roster, named freshman kids, injuries, and more. i really doubt a tipp parent would have access to all this information...

I'm curious how you would know that Burgbacher 1. Tore his ACL and 2. Has the most talent? Considering his only recorded stats last year was against West Carollton. It makes me think you are either a VERY close parent or (god forbid) a tipp coach. As a tipp guy myself I don't appreicate you throwing all this information out for these people to read. You have said the exact number of players on tipp's roster, named freshman kids, injuries, and more. i really doubt a tipp parent would have access to all this information...
Information like this may seem intimate, but hardly a closely held secret. If you are active in the community, you can extract info from parents, trainers, coaches from other sports, and even baseball umpires 😹. I get most of what I know from the kids themselves. All you have to do now is have an interest and pursue what you want to know about. I haven’t had a kid in the program for over 10 years and can verify most of what isgreat’s has to say. And who he is is not a big secret. Why would you seem so concerned? Do you think he is colluding with the other teams in the MVL and spreading fake news 😆