MVAC Grey Tier 2023

OhioGuy4

As we get closer to the season I thought it would be a good time to start this thread up. This season the conference seems to be more wide open than it has in previous seasons. The defending champs, Brookfield, lost a lot of contributors on both sides of the ball, but welcome back a good chunk of the Oline and their 2 running backs. It seems based off of their youth from last season Garfield would be the preseason favorite, and with a few new faces in head coaching positions this season, we should expect a crazy campaign in which not one team dominates.

This season, it could only be 2 teams that could be the conference champ. Brookfield is a clear favorite to repeat, however, Garfield seems to be in the hunt as well. We'll see how the season progresses once August gets here.

I'd give the nod to Garfield with Keegan Sell returning. They have a great system, and probably the best all around player in the league. They will be more consistent week to week then Brookfield.

Brookfield is a strong #2 with talent alone. Davis and Jones are explosive threats that will give teams trouble in that tier every week. I'm sure, as has been the case with Clark, the team will have a game or two with 15+ penalties. They may not have the talent to overcome those games as in they have had in the past.

3. Liberty-I was surprised they were able to field a competitive team last year with the mass defection to private schools. I think of what could have been if all the talent remained. I don't expect them to challenge the top 2, but more a best of the rest situation.

4. Crestview-Probably will be an adjustment period with a new head coach. I like that they didn't go in a totally new direction, but something is always lost when a program builder leaves. Losing Bettura probably hurts just as much too. Still they have the pedigree that the other schools don't over the last 20 years.

5. Labrae-I think they will be the team that shows the most improvement. I know last year was tough, but Coach Elliot has to build from the ground up. I'm happy that he decided to stay on another year. They have some young talent coming up that could make them relevant in a year or two.

6. Champion-They will likely be competitive with a team they shouldn't be competitive with on paper. They also could lose to anyone in the league. The loss of Fell probably means more down weeks than competitive weeks.

7 Campbell-The amount of kids having success at other districts that live or were originally from Campbell is astounding. If Campbell was ever able to keep their talent, they could be a major force in D6/D7. Unfortunately, they can't. I don't see that changing this upcoming season. They have some stability in the coaching staff, but their upside is severely capped without the studs playing in other jerseys.

8. Newton Falls-I think Lazzari had a system that fit their talent. With his departure, I look for them to struggle. Carter Rapczak is a good player, but he will be asked to do too much. I think they will end the season struggling to win a game or two.

I'd give the nod to Garfield with Keegan Sell returning. They have a great system, and probably the best all around player in the league. They will be more consistent week to week then Brookfield.

Brookfield is a strong #2 with talent alone. Davis and Jones are explosive threats that will give teams trouble in that tier every week. I'm sure, as has been the case with Clark, the team will have a game or two with 15+ penalties. They may not have the talent to overcome those games as in they have had in the past.

3. Liberty-I was surprised they were able to field a competitive team last year with the mass defection to private schools. I think of what could have been if all the talent remained. I don't expect them to challenge the top 2, but more a best of the rest situation.

4. Crestview-Probably will be an adjustment period with a new head coach. I like that they didn't go in a totally new direction, but something is always lost when a program builder leaves. Losing Bettura probably hurts just as much too. Still they have the pedigree that the other schools don't over the last 20 years.

5. Labrae-I think they will be the team that shows the most improvement. I know last year was tough, but Coach Elliot has to build from the ground up. I'm happy that he decided to stay on another year. They have some young talent coming up that could make them relevant in a year or two.

6. Champion-They will likely be competitive with a team they shouldn't be competitive with on paper. They also could lose to anyone in the league. The loss of Fell probably means more down weeks than competitive weeks.

7 Campbell-The amount of kids having success at other districts that live or were originally from Campbell is astounding. If Campbell was ever able to keep their talent, they could be a major force in D6/D7. Unfortunately, they can't. I don't see that changing this upcoming season. They have some stability in the coaching staff, but their upside is severely capped without the studs playing in other jerseys.

8. Newton Falls-I think Lazzari had a system that fit their talent. With his departure, I look for them to struggle. Carter Rapczak is a good player, but he will be asked to do too much. I think they will end the season struggling to win a game or two.
This is a great rundown. I actually think Falls will be more competitive than Campbell and Champion this season.

This is a great rundown. I actually think Falls will be more competitive than Campbell and Champion this season.
If Lazzari was back, I would agree with you. I just think the coaching search and change will set the program back. I really liked their physical running game, but I worry that they won't be able to keep that style with the new guy.

Any word how the 1st scrimmages went for the rest of the Grey Tier? Brookfield got some good work in with a good Mineral Ridge team and is now gearing up for a scrimmage with Hubbard that will always be played hard.

Any word how the 1st scrimmages went for the rest of the Grey Tier? Brookfield got some good work in with a good Mineral Ridge team and is now gearing up for a scrimmage with Hubbard that will always be played hard.

How did Jones look at Q? I couldnt make it

Piecing info together from other threads it sounds like Newton Falls got worked over by Reserve and Champion the same against McDonald. Neither come as a surprise.

Obviously this is the grey tier thread, but interested what Ridge looked like. They are kind of a mystery, they return Erb who had a really good year but lost Valley at QB and Miller at WR. I believe they lost a couple OL starters as well.

How did Jones look at Q? I couldnt make it

Piecing info together from other threads it sounds like Newton Falls got worked over by Reserve and Champion the same against McDonald. Neither come as a surprise.
Did not look bad, it was a learning experience for him as it was the first time ever playing QB competitively. The offense is tailored to him being a runner, and he will only get better as the year goes on. Including him, Davis, and a freshman who is going to be a breakout player in the era in my opinion, they have 3 guys that can take it the distance on any play.

Both of those arent that much of a surprise. Who do they scrimmage next?

Obviously this is the grey tier thread, but interested what Ridge looked like. They are kind of a mystery, they return Erb who had a really good year but lost Valley at QB and Miller at WR. I believe they lost a couple OL starters as well.
Defensively Ridge blitzed a lot, especially for a first scrimmage. Offensively they did not play bad, a couple blow coverages lead to their scores

Did not look bad, it was a learning experience for him as it was the first time ever playing QB competitively. The offense is tailored to him being a runner, and he will only get better as the year goes on. Including him, Davis, and a freshman who is going to be a breakout player in the era in my opinion, they have 3 guys that can take it the distance on any play.

Both of those arent that much of a surprise. Who do they scrimmage next?

I'm looking forward to seeing Jones and Davis together back there. They can make the case for being the fastest QB-RB combo in the area.

Falls has McDonald and Champion has Crestwood this week.

Crestview is wanting in the EOAC and has been scheduling EOAC OOL games. Trouble is, there is still bad Karma between them and a couple schools they raided for athletics, namely EP and Columbiana.

Crestview is wanting in the EOAC and has been scheduling EOAC OOL games. Trouble is, there is still bad Karma between them and a couple schools they raided for athletics, namely EP and Columbiana.
That’s a shame cause the EOAC would be a lot stronger w/ them in it

Having Crestview in the MVAC is nice for competition in a lot of sports, but the drive to away games down there does stink

A straight up trade for Crestview & Valley Christian would help travel for everybody
VC will leave long before Crestview gets back in.
They would need to shut down the Open Enrollment intake before they get back in. Crestview gets over 400 OE students, 200 from EP alone, the rest spread between Columbiana, Leetonia and Beaver Local.

VC will leave long before Crestview gets back in.
They would need to shut down the Open Enrollment intake before they get back in. Crestview gets over 400 OE students, 200 from EP alone, the rest spread between Columbiana, Leetonia and Beaver Local.
How many kids would they have if they shut down open enrollment?

You are delusional, the rest are other sports and academics, same as here. Go back to your Parochial lane and stay there. 17 hand picked recruited kids JFK.
There are 128 boys in Crestview high school and 129 girls. Even if you factor in K-12 there would be around 800-850 students, so you believe that half open enroll there. Like I said, delusional.

There are 128 boys in Crestview high school and 129 girls. Even if you factor in K-12 there would be around 800-850 students, so you believe that half open enroll there. Like I said, delusional.
Even if it that were the case, every other school around them is open enrollment as well so there shouldn’t be much controversy since they probably also have kids from other places

I'm wasting time with your attitude of correctness chump. Truth a little hard for you to swallow? Crestview district has almost 1200 students, you're delusional.

Are there any other scrimmages tonight other than Brookfield v Hubbard? Honestly prefer the thursday 2nd scrimmage to give the team and coaches an extra day to prepare for week 1

I'm wasting time with your attitude of correctness chump. Truth a little hard for you to swallow? Crestview district has almost 1200 students, you're delusional.
My bad. You believe 1/3 of all the students in Crestview are from other school districts. Delusional.

Labrae-I think they will be the team that shows the most improvement. I know last year was tough, but Coach Elliot has to build from the ground up. I'm happy that he decided to stay on another year. They have some young talent coming up that could make them relevant in a year or two.
Only thing going for him is he got some good coaches recruited this year to lead the team. They will be the difference the talent never left, it was just lead wrong.