Music Genre You Detest

Genres I don't like, some more than others: rap (my least favorite), country, anything auto-tuned, Lawrence Welk, elevator music, seventies disco, formula rock (Journey, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Boston), lots of the eighties MTV stuff, some of the old-time crooners/singers (some are OK, like Sinatra...Bing Crosby is a no), Celine Dion (not a genre, but cringe-worthy enough to mention), Death metal, among others.

Now that I have offended some people (especially the Journey/Boston fans!), I am well aware that music taste is just a personal preference and there is no right or wrong. I don't care for Justin Bieber, but his music isn't for me to begin with...it's for teeny boppers. Rap is not written for me, either. My mom loved Lawrence Welk and my dad loved Ray Conniff and Ann Murray and I couldn't stand them.

Explain “formula rock” please. I think it’s more a result of those bands being overplayed on classic rock radio, but maybe you have a different take.

Explain “formula rock” please. I think it’s more a result of those bands being overplayed on classic rock radio, but maybe you have a different take.
Commercial rock might be a better description. Rock formulated to be a big commercial hit. And, just like you said, they are overplayed on the radio, almost by definition.

Commercial rock might be a better description. Rock formulated to be a big commercial hit. And, just like you said, they are overplayed on the radio, almost by definition.

That same sentiment could be applied to any music on the radio. Am I right to assume you weren’t born when those bands were making those songs?

Gangster Rap- not R&B or even some Tupac or Eminem, but really thug s**t like Chief Keefe

Country- I like some country Rock, like the Eagles, but the old school redneck crap and the fake pop country garbage sucks

Death Metal/Screamo- I like Metallica, but the hard core screaming crap is the worst of any genre. It has no melody, no rhythm, just loud screaming.

Probably on board with you for 80-90% of this.

Probably on board with you for 80-90% of this.
I can even see how someone would like Hardcore rap or modern country. However, it boggles my mind how anyone can enjoy “music” with just guttural screaming with no rhythm, no melody, no musical talent at all really.

Not everyone has a good ear for melody. Some people even think melody is boring. They prefer the repetitive beats of hip-hop or loud thrashing of drums and screaming. I don't get it, either.

That same sentiment could be applied to any music on the radio. Am I right to assume you weren’t born when those bands were making those songs?
My teenage years, when our musical tastes were being formed, were early-to-mid seventies. Music taste is just personal preference. Obviously many people love Journey, but I don't.

I have told this story on yappi before, but it sums up different music tastes and opinions:

When I was at Miami U., Foreigner played at Millett Hall, a large venue. I didn't attend but lots of my friends did.

First friend, "OMG! Foreigner rocked! They actually played 'Hot Blooded' twice! Can you believe it? Best concert ever!"

Second friend, "OMG! Foreigner sucked! They actually played 'Hot Blooded' twice! Can you believe it? Worst concert ever!"

Who was right? Both of them.

Last edited:
Most mainstream country. The music that pays homage to the greats of country music of past generations is found in the Americana and Outlaw genres.

My teenage years, when our musical tastes were being formed, were early-to-mid seventies. Music taste is just personal preference. Obviously many people love Journey, but I don't.

I have told this story on yappi before, but it sums up different music tastes and opinions:

When I was at Miami U., Foreigner played at Millett Hall, a large venue. I didn't attend but lots of my friends did.

First friend, "OMG! Foreigner rocked! They actually played 'Hot Blooded' twice! Can you believe it? Best concert ever!"

Second friend, "OMG! Foreigner sucked! They actually played 'Hot Blooded' twice! Can you believe it? Worst concert ever!"

Who was right? Both of them.

I think i get it. Are those bands more bubble gum rock to you compared to the Zeps, Stones, Deep Purple, Sabbath, etc? You threw me with the “bands trying to make hits” comment.

If so, I feel the same way about Poison, Warrant, Winger, Night Ranger, Europe, Great White, etc. I graduated in the 80s and i hated that stuff after being more of a Skynyrd/Zeppelin/Floyd/Allmans kind of guy. Now, to be honest, I’ll hear some of that Glam Rock and have fond memories but just for a couple songs lol.

I think i get it. Are those bands more bubble gum rock to you compared to the Zeps, Stones, Deep Purple, Sabbath, etc? You threw me with the “bands trying to make hits” comment.

If so, I feel the same way about Poison, Warrant, Winger, Night Ranger, Europe, Great White, etc. I graduated in the 80s and i hated that stuff after being more of a Skynyrd/Zeppelin/Floyd/Allmans kind of guy. Now, to be honest, I’ll hear some of that Glam Rock and have fond memories but just for a couple songs lol.
I think we're on the same page. I didn't want to use the term "bubblegum" (or worse). Poison, Night Ranger, etc. are on that list.

FWIW, we seem to have similar tastes. In my formative HS and college years, I listened to: The Allman Brothers Band, Flying Burrito Brothers, Neil Young, CSN&Y, Poco, Bob Dylan, The Byrds, Skynyrd, etc. A lot of folk/country/southern rock. I also rocked out with: Zeppelin, Montrose, Joe Walsh, The James Gang, Lou Reed and others.

Dylan is one of my favorites.

My older brother bought The Kinks Greatest Hits album when I was about nine. That record and his Meet the Beatles! album were the first albums I remember listening to, other than my dad's albums. I didn't care for my dad's musical tastes, but he had some decent albums, mostly in the folk music genre. The Kingston Trio and The Limeliters stood out in his collection.
Dylan? Horrible. Don't get it...can't even understand him.

Dont be lumping Night Ranger and Europe with those other crap bands. Those other bands spelled the end of the 80's

Dylan? Horrible. Don't get it...can't even understand him.
I get Dylan but then again I will admit that Dylan is one of the more polarizing figures in music to the average person, primarily because of his voice. Doubt that I will change any minds but what attracts me to him is obviously the tunes and the fact they are considered some of the best crafted songs in recent memory. I don't necessarily think he performs them very well but then again my dad thought Beatles tunes were done much better by others so they are more songwriters than crack musicians. Dylan live is a mixed bag too. I saw him three times with one being a great show, the 2nd being OK and a 3rd was a total bore.

I get Dylan but then again I will admit that Dylan is one of the more polarizing figures in music to the average person, primarily because of his voice. Doubt that I will change any minds but what attracts me to him is obviously the tunes and the fact they are considered some of the best crafted songs in recent memory. I don't necessarily think he performs them very well but then again my dad thought Beatles tunes were done much better by others so they are more songwriters than crack musicians. Dylan live is a mixed bag too. I saw him three times with one being a great show, the 2nd being OK and a 3rd was a total bore.
Many have similar opinions on Neil Young and his "terrible" voice. But Dylan's and Young's songwriting skills are what I like about them. Some great songs! I was probably a High School Freshman and just starting to listen to music when I bought Neil's "After the Gold Rush" album, after listening to my older brother's CSNY "Four Way Street" album. I was hooked.

I hate the Yacht Rock genre, rap/hip hop genre and Christian rock genre. That being said I do like individual songs from these genres also.