Music Genre You Detest

cjb5656

There have been various music fads over the years I haven’t liked…the “hair bands” come to mind and I do not like the current country rap style at all, or country pop, but no music in the history of music has ever made my skin crawl like the so called “indie girl” sound that’s so popular among female singers today. Total nails on the chalk board.

There have been various music fads over the years I haven’t liked…the “hair bands” come to mind and I do not like the current country rap style at all, or country pop, but no music in the history of music has ever made my skin crawl like the so called “indie girl” sound that’s so popular among female singers today. Total nails on the chalk board.
But hipsters and especially female critics absolutely love this stuff so they will force it down your throats as act X is flavor of the day and the next huge thing. Almost all of these acts tend to fizzle out eventually as most have just a basic sound and have trouble evolving. Don't get me wrong, I actually like some of this stuff if the artist has some chops, Natalie Merchant is one that I think has it. The current darling of critics

They even got the obligatory NY Times fluff piece too:

The genre I really do not connect with is prefab pop acts that seem to be about everything but the music. Some elements that get to me:

• Heavy use of auto tune or back up singers assisting on the harder parts because they cannot carry a tune.
  • Say they write the music but on a song's credit 6 folks are listed with the artists'' name last.
  • Live shows that are more about spectacle than music.
  • Lip synching during live performances.

All country music that is not Outlaw. Not that I'm a fan, but I can at least respect the musicianship and real talent.

Mumble rap. Every song sounds like the artist is on a heroin trip, no one has a distinguishable identity, and even the production sounds lazy. Where are the layers of instruments? Where has sampling gone? 15-25 years ago I thought a lot of the mainstream hip hop vibe was pretty juvenile, but at least there were distinguishable styles and there was personality. I could listen to a Jay-Z song for the first time and recognize that it's Jay-Z. Same with Eminem. Outkast. Nelly. Even second or third tier acts (Busta Rhymes, Ludacris, Fabolous, Mystikal) had distinguishable styles. I cannot tell Travis Scott from Future, Lil Baby, or Rich Homie Quan or whatever

Genres I don't like, some more than others: rap (my least favorite), country, anything auto-tuned, Lawrence Welk, elevator music, seventies disco, formula rock (Journey, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Boston), lots of the eighties MTV stuff, some of the old-time crooners/singers (some are OK, like Sinatra...Bing Crosby is a no), Celine Dion (not a genre, but cringe-worthy enough to mention), Death metal, among others.

Now that I have offended some people (especially the Journey/Boston fans!), I am well aware that music taste is just a personal preference and there is no right or wrong. I don't care for Justin Bieber, but his music isn't for me to begin with...it's for teeny boppers. Rap is not written for me, either. My mom loved Lawrence Welk and my dad loved Ray Conniff and Ann Murray and I couldn't stand them.

But hipsters and especially female critics absolutely love this stuff so they will force it down your throats as act X is flavor of the day and the next huge thing. Almost all of these acts tend to fizzle out eventually as most have just a basic sound and have trouble evolving. Don't get me wrong, I actually like some of this stuff if the artist has some chops, Natalie Merchant is one that I think has it. The current darling of critics

I don't know if hipsters are still a thing but progressivism is rampant in music media so acts that are clearly of bi/gay people get a huge boost. boygenius is a "supergroup" of sorts of gay girls so they're darlings. Their music is just alright.

Early-mid 90s Natalie Merchant was great.

Last edited:
Mumble rap. Every song sounds like the artist is on a heroin trip, no one has a distinguishable identity, and even the production sounds lazy. Where are the layers of instruments? Where has sampling gone? 15-25 years ago I thought a lot of the mainstream hip hop vibe was pretty juvenile, but at least there were distinguishable styles and there was personality. I could listen to a Jay-Z song for the first time and recognize that it's Jay-Z. Same with Eminem. Outkast. Nelly. Even second or third tier acts (Busta Rhymes, Ludacris, Fabolous, Mystikal) had distinguishable styles. I cannot tell Travis Scott from Future, Lil Baby, or Rich Homie Quan or whatever
This! I've been a fan of rap since the early 80s and cannot stand listening to the same repetitive boring rappers that are out today. They all sound the same and don't stand out. It's the same sound from all of them.

Also, the female rappers are getting to all sound the same although they are better than the males. I joke about all of them sounding like Iggy Azalea because she started this sound. She's not "cool" so it bothers the youngsters when the newer rappers are compared to the "Fancy" singer.

This! I've been a fan of rap since the early 80s and cannot stand listening to the same repetitive boring rappers that are out today. They all sound the same and don't stand out. It's the same sound from all of them.

Also, the female rappers are getting to all sound the same although they are better than the males. I joke about all of them sounding like Iggy Azalea because she started this sound. She's not "cool" so it bothers the youngsters when the newer rappers are compared to the "Fancy" singer.
I do think Megan Thee Stallion stands out above others.

Gangster Rap- not R&B or even some Tupac or Eminem, but really thug s**t like Chief Keefe

Country- I like some country Rock, like the Eagles, but the old school redneck crap and the fake pop country garbage sucks

Death Metal/Screamo- I like Metallica, but the hard core screaming crap is the worst of any genre. It has no melody, no rhythm, just loud screaming.

That boygenius song is definitely one of the best of the year

K pop just strikes me as Koreans finally discovering NSYNC, Spice Girls, etc and giving it a try, but with barely a fraction of the dance talent.

Actually, I was thinking more in terms of recent music.

Was that the real into? Yikes! Beyond that, pretty good song for the time.

Mid-song: Oh no, it's ba-aak!!! Yeah, now I remember. Pretty lame. Thanks. 😬
That was a cover of the BJ Thomas hit song

There's a lot of different stuff that I can listen to, and a lot that does nothing for me.

Some country I really like, most is boring.

Some jazz I really like, most is boring.

etc,

Lately I've been listening to some Bob Dylan, and The Kinks.

The only thing I detest is the vulgarity and obscenity.

There's a lot of different stuff that I can listen to, and a lot that does nothing for me.

Some country I really like, most is boring.

Some jazz I really like, most is boring.

etc,

Lately I've been listening to some Bob Dylan, and The Kinks.

The only thing I detest is the vulgarity and obscenity.
Dylan is one of my favorites.

My older brother bought The Kinks Greatest Hits album when I was about nine. That record and his Meet the Beatles! album were the first albums I remember listening to, other than my dad's albums. I didn't care for my dad's musical tastes, but he had some decent albums, mostly in the folk music genre. The Kingston Trio and The Limeliters stood out in his collection.

I have to agree and chime in on this..
I was in Jr High when Rap was starring to get known outside of NYC. So it was the Sugarhill Gang, Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash, etc. I was good until a few years ago with this mumble s#$t. Not only do they sound the same their videos are all the same. Showing off the gold fronts, flashing stacks of money, dudes from the hood in the background doing nothing, etc. At least their songs are 2.5 minutes long since that generation has no attention span
At least the females open their mouths and you can hear actual words. All the guys sound as if they're in concussion protocol.