Mooney / Canfield Scheduling Poll

WGS3P

Question for the group: Should Canfield discontinue its policy of not scheduling Mooney and invite them to play in all sports? Or perhaps, as it was before the ban, all sports but football?

They should but won’t. Canfield is content being the big fish in a small pond. They are a d 3 and cry about not playing d4’s anymore.

Question for the group: Should Canfield discontinue its policy of not scheduling Mooney and invite them to play in all sports? Or perhaps, as it was before the ban, all sports but football?
They should cause Canfield would win, but they won’t

What other D 3 schools are local they could play? Only Niles and Howland come to mind.
You have a valid point. Not a lot of schools in the Valley they can actually play.
Which means independent or join the Suburban, which is light years away.
Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

BTW, the Mooney/ Canfield lack of scheduling is the Superintendant. He’s just an arrogant idiot. Canfield’s schedule is embarrassing.
The number of students at last nights game could be could be counted on 1 hand. And they lost to a team that hadn’t won a game yet.
They need some changes - quickly

There’s nothing wrong with their schedule. Dover, Louisville, NDCL are all relatively strong teams. Alliance, Howland, Boardman and East (division 2 and 3) are up and down local teams but pretty good programs. And JFK just a late fill in. Who do you want them to play Austintown Fitch, Warren Harding, Massillon?
They are right where they need to be at the moment. Do not know what some guys problem is with Canfield and to a lesser degree Poland?

2019 Football Schedule

• Aug. 30 – at Louisville
  • Sept. 6 – Dover
  • Sept. 13 – McKinley Tech (DC)
  • Sept. 20 – at Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin
  • Sept. 27 – Alliance
  • Oct. 4 – Cleveland JFK
  • Oct. 11 – at Highland
  • Oct. 18 – East
  • Oct. 25 – at Howland
  • Nov. 1 – at Boardman

Last edited:
Lumping Boardman in with East, Howland and Alliance? I mean we are struggling a little this year with a young group but give us a little more credit haha.

There’s really minimal difference between Harding, Boardman, Mooney, and Fitch most years. Same with Ursuline until last few years.

The way I’ve always looked at it for Canfield is if they don’t feel like they can schedule the old SVC 5 and go 2-3 or better, they aren’t going anywhere deep in the playoffs anyhow as SVSM and Big Red are better than most if not all of them. None of those 5 are elite currently and Mooney and Ursuline barely have 40 kids on their roster.

Beyond the competition side of things, what I can’t understand is the huge revenue $ they are losing not playing these local games. That just means your district is subsidizing even more of the athletic departments losses for all other programs out of the general school fund instead of it going to academics or facility upgrades.

I’d bet there’s $10-15k a year being lost minimum on football not playing these games. I just know the big difference in ticket revenue Boardman had in Federal League vs currently. And its a huge difference. Not to mention more travel costs when not playing local teams.

I’d guess the McKinley Tech (DC) game was lucky to be much of a profit between zero away crowd and I’m sure subsidizing travel costs for them. Mooney game probably has full house with 2k more fans x $7 a ticket.

Lumping Boardman in with East, Howland and Alliance? I mean we are struggling a little this year with a young group but give us a little more credit haha.

There’s really minimal difference between Harding, Boardman, Mooney, and Fitch most years. Same with Ursuline until last few years.

The way I’ve always looked at it for Canfield is if they don’t feel like they can schedule the old SVC 5 and go 2-3 or better, they aren’t going anywhere deep in the playoffs anyhow as SVSM and Big Red are better than most if not all of them. None of those 5 are elite currently and Mooney and Ursuline barely have 40 kids on their roster.

Beyond the competition side of things, what I can’t understand is the huge revenue $ they are losing not playing these local games. That just means your district is subsidizing even more of the athletic departments losses for all other programs out of the general school fund instead of it going to academics or facility upgrades.

I’d bet there’s $10-15k a year being lost minimum on football not playing these games. I just know the big difference in ticket revenue Boardman had in Federal League vs currently. And its a huge difference. Not to mention more travel costs when not playing local teams.

I’d guess the McKinley Tech (DC) game was lucky to be much of a profit between zero away crowd and I’m sure subsidizing travel costs for them. Mooney game probably has full house with 2k more fans x $7 a ticket.

Chaney bringing football back spread Youngstown's kids out even more. Ursuline is young and Reardon will eventually get them together. I see that they played Watterson real tough down in Columbus.

As for Canfield, their schedule isn't that bad. In fact, I actually think that Howland is much better than most are willing to give them credit for. However, like you said, you'd get equal, if not better, competition by playing the former SVC schools plus a much larger gate. All of these kids play each other at the lower levels, but when they get older, the narrative is that certain schools "are too good for them." How when those same kids grew up competing against each other? Even if that was the case, why encourage the mentality that kids from other areas are better than your's?

People are clueless to think Canfield would play up. They wanna schedule down to the schools who have less then 150 boys then them but they have an issue when they have less. Cry baby cry, Canfield would never get an invite to the NE8 the league is fine. Howland would get brought before Canfield because people just don’t like Canfield

You sound harsh and bitter, Buckeye Elite. More importantly, your statements don't accurately reflect the situation in its entirety.

You sound harsh and bitter, Buckeye Elite. More importantly, your statements don't accurately reflect the situation in its entirety.
Whoever made this thread is bitter I’m just stating how most feel, Canfield is going to cry about not getting into the NE8 for as long as it exists. Cry cry cry