Monroe boys basketball 2021-22

Hornet21

With Monroe finishing second in the league last 3 years winning their first tournament game in seems like a century not to mention back to back 14 win seasons which is the most they had I think since before I was in high school and I graduated from Monroe in 2012. Before 2019 I don’t think they won that many in a season since 06-07. I say they carry the momentum over this year and give Franklin a fight for the league title. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

186B230F-16AE-4308-B84C-F89D32015781.jpeg

The top 8 guys have all graduated. so who knows….

Anyone know what Franklin has coming back? They were super good as always but got beat by springboro the first round I think? That Zumbiel kid for Monroe was a beast beyond the arc. Until recently Monroe struggled in basketball for years and I mean a long time same as girls team. Lack of talent, bad coaching, god awful shooting etc. Horne is a good coach and I feel they’ll be pretty good for sometime not saying they’re going to win league every year but will give Franklin a good challenge.

Last edited:
I saw Oakwood at Wittenberg and they looked like they were in mid-season form. Franklin has the size and experience but it will take all they can muster to get by the 'Jacks!

With Monroe finishing second in the league last 3 years winning their first tournament game in seems like a century not to mention back to back 14 win seasons which is the most they had I think since before I was in high school and I graduated from Monroe in 2012. Before 2019 I don’t think they won that many in a season since 06-07. I say they carry the momentum over this year and give Franklin a fight for the league title. Any thoughts?
Don't really know much about them but if they only have 3 returning varsity players who combined for 68 points in the season, then that looks like a major rebuilding year to me. And they won a tourney game? Oh Lord the standard must be very low in Monroe.

First tournament win in an eternity. Yes the standard in basketball at Monroe has been very low for a while. Hopefully they’ll top that tourney win with another one. They’ve never been much good in basketball. Girls and Boys teams have long been subpar ok.

.Monroe is 28-19 in Hornes first 2 years. That tourney win was the first since 2005. It will be hard to replace those top 8 guys but I think they’ll be fine.

Out of Franklin’s top 9 players from last year, 7 are back including the SWBL POY. The class that is now seniors has always been very good. Honestly, the only team I see challenging them is Oakwood with the Maxwell kid.

Franklin, Oakwood, Bellbrook ,and Monroe in that order. Waynesville might be ok but Brookville will be down.

Last edited:
I would hope Monroe will contend for the title but they lost some really good talent. Ryan Miles is probably the best player we’ll have.

Not being able to watch any games last year, and not knowing this player, I went to the SWBL site and looked him up. He wasn't on the team last season. Is he a freshmen this year?

Don't really know much about them but if they only have 3 returning varsity players who combined for 68 points in the season, then that looks like a major rebuilding year to me. And they won a tourney game? Oh Lord the standard must be very low in Monroe.
3 players combined scoring 68 points in last season and adding a 5'9" sophomore who played JV or freshmen ball....? I don't see them being up near the top of the league. Am I missing something??

It will be a tall task for Monroe to contend with Oakwood and Franklin since Collin Deaton graduated. Miles who is our QB is supposed to be pretty good in basketball as well. Be interesting to see how he fits into the rotation.

The football team has a great record, that usually means they have some pretty good athletes. IF that is the case the basketball team could make some noise this year.

Monroe opens the season at Edgewood on November 24th. Monroe was 14-10 last year and Edgewood 7-14 if I’m not mistaken.

Last edited:
Since the SWBL website was launched in 2013 Monroe is 98-110 in basketball ?. Not a favorable statistic but interesting.