Moeller gives players $2000 tuition credit to work summer camp

I don't know anything about Moeller's situation or policies but the private school I am most familiar with requires their families to work around the school if they are receiving financial aid because they can't afford the full tuition. Now, that work is painting in the school, landscaping, etc. not working athletic camps. But this school is a fraction the size of Moeller too so maybe Moeller needs more opportunities for students or families to work off their financial aid.

Just a thought.

That’s like parking in handicap space where the logo is painted in the space, but there’s no sign. You’re not technically breaking the law, but you’re still a scumbag bc you know what you’re doing is wrong.
That’s like parking in handicap space where the logo is painted in the space, but there’s no sign. You’re not technically breaking the law, but you’re still a scumbag bc you know what you’re doing is wrong.

You take this stuff way to seriously.

"They still have to abide by the academic eligibility rules."

Those rules seem to have become blurred over the last several years at Big Moe now that the head coach is the principal . . . wouldn't want one of your stars to be ruled ineligible. Football, baseball, lacrosse . . . all have kids that are academically ineligible. But not basketball.

How can you make that claim when it’s your school that’s allegedly doing this? I’d say Moeller takes it too seriously if that’s the case.

Doing what? First, believe about 10% of what you read on here. If the kid in fact did earn 2k in assistance, maybe he worked for it? Moeller has summer camps that run for about 3 weeks. The young man may have worked them all and was there working the entire camp? You have now idea as to what the facts may have been. Tuition assistance comes in many forms. Elder and X hand it out in droves. Moeller not so much because their endowment is not a big. If the kid earned 2k, hats off to him. Because it's Moeller, you and many others circle like vultures. Grow up.

Doing what? First, believe about 10% of what you read on here. If the kid in fact did earn 2k in assistance, maybe he worked for it? Moeller has summer camps that run for about 3 weeks. The young man may have worked them all and was there working the entire camp? You have now idea as to what the facts may have been. Tuition assistance comes in many forms. Elder and X hand it out in droves. Moeller not so much because their endowment is not a big. If the kid earned 2k, hats off to him. Because it's Moeller, you and many others circle like vultures. Grow up.
Is that service opportunity open for non athletes? Or anything similar, I somehow doing it. You can’t say other people take HS sports too seriously when your school is back channeling ways to give out free tuition specific to athletes.

I'm pretty sure most schools pay for kids helping at camps (and that opportunity likely isn't open to anyone). It may not be $2,000, but to the previous posters point, maybe they don't give away as much financial aid? It's really just giving a similar amount of money in different ways.

Is that service opportunity open for non athletes? Or anything similar, I somehow doing it. You can’t say other people take HS sports too seriously when your school is back channeling ways to give out free tuition specific to athletes.

I don't now. I'll ask Carl Kremer if they have ever considered having someone in the band earn tuition assistance by working his basketball camp.

I'm pretty sure most schools pay for kids helping at camps (and that opportunity likely isn't open to anyone). It may not be $2,000, but to the previous posters point, maybe they don't give away as much financial aid? It's really just giving a similar amount of money in different ways.

Yes

I don't now. I'll ask Carl Kremer if they have ever considered having someone in the band earn tuition assistance by working his basketball camp.
Or you can ask the Principal if they have similar initiatives for non athletic extra curriculars. I’m guessing not. Stop trying to blow smoke up our like we’re dumb.

My school ran a youth soccer camp, and I know for a fact no student made any money for working 3 plus hours a day for 5 days. This was joint effort by the boys and girls soccer team, there was around 20 soccer players working each day. I would hate to have to pay the fees for a camp that would need to make up 40,000 bucks in order to pay the students.

Last edited:
Or you can ask the Principal if they have similar initiatives for non athletic extra curriculars. I’m guessing not. Stop trying to blow smoke up our like we’re dumb.

Why don't you give him a call yourself? This probably will drive you to the grave you thinking Moeller is pulling something over on everyone. You need some answers PBoy.

Why don't you give him a call yourself? This probably will drive you to the grave you thinking Moeller is pulling something over on everyone. You need some answers PBoy.
No, but do you see the circular logic? You say I take this too seriously and your school is coming up with this scuzzy ways to hand out tuition to athletes.

I’ll also add, I have no sympathy for the coaches that complain about Kremer while letting him walk all over them. If they put half the energy into digging up the dirt on Kremer that they did b1tchin about him, they could have him by the balls. Carl is not that smart. FFS, he wrote a letter with a Moeller Letterhead to a judge pleading for leniency on behalf of that slime ball Galemmo. If he’s that careless, I’m sure there’s tons of loose threads from rules he’s broken in the past.

If this were true I wouldn't imagine there's any way they'd get in trouble for it. It wouldn't be illegal, but it would definitely be unethical. Even if the kid worked three weeks of camps that would be an irregularly large payment that there's no way they're giving to a non-athlete or athlete in a lower revenue sport performing a similar time service.

If this were true I wouldn't imagine there's any way they'd get in trouble for it. It wouldn't be illegal, but it would definitely be unethical. Even if the kid worked three weeks of camps that would be an irregularly large payment that there's no way they're giving to a non-athlete or athlete in a lower revenue sport performing a similar time service.
I’m sure there’s other things he could get nailed for, the problem is other coaches would rather than put resources into finding those missteps.

I’m sure there’s other things he could get nailed for, the problem is other coaches would rather than put resources into finding those missteps.

From talking to folks, my sense is that he doesn't have too many admirers in the coaching community. Some direct competitors definitely like to but my sense is that they'd nail his to the wall if anything was clear cut and beyond a doubt provable.

From talking to folks, my sense is that he doesn't have too many admirers in the coaching community. Some direct competitors definitely like to but my sense is that they'd nail his to the wall if anything was clear cut and beyond a doubt provable.
I’ve been told via 3rd party they didnt think it worth it and that it could look bad image wise. My thought is that’s a pvssified response and if you can get definitive proof, go get it, otherwise, you lose all right to complain. He’s not smart enough to make sure all loose ends were tied up.

Have had kids work many of the camps Moeller offers- no one is making $2000 just doing basketball, not even close. Basketball does offer pay to their counselors which is great because they are usually there for workouts in the morning and league in the evenings so it makes it a bit tough to keep hours at a summer job.
Many of the other sports and activities (band, art, robotics, etc) have camps and students are either offered service hours or payment (and yes even free pizza) to work them.
Nice try though ?

No, but do you see the circular logic? You say I take this too seriously and your school is coming up with this scuzzy ways to hand out tuition to athletes.
Have had kids work many of the camps Moeller offers- no one is making $2000 just doing basketball, not even close. Basketball does offer pay to their counselors which is great because they are usually there for workouts in the morning and league in the evenings so it makes it a bit tough to keep hours at a summer job.
Many of the other sports and activities (band, art, robotics, etc) have camps and students are either offered service hours or payment (and yes even free pizza) to work them.
Nice try though ?

Nice try though ?

As I stated, believe about 10% of what you read on here. Cheeseburger starts this thread and many posters on here believes its gospel?

I’ve been told via 3rd party they didnt think it worth it and that it could look bad image wise. My thought is that’s a pvssified response and if you can get definitive proof, go get it, otherwise, you lose all right to complain. He’s not smart enough to make sure all loose ends were tied up.

And of course this clown has to take it to a whole new level.

Nice try though ?
The uncle of the student athlete who was given the $2000 tuition credit is the source of this information. I believe the uncle.

There is certainly a difference between illegal and inappropriate. I certainly don't think this runs afoul of any law although if they were paying $2,000 for work at a camp it would be inappropriate. (Given the fact that it would probably work out to $100/hr if it was for one week).

I know that the kids who get financial aid from St X actually have a work study program where they are doing things like janitorial work after school.

My son has attended Moeller's bball camp, it was from 9am-3pm. And there were 3 of them this year right so that's 90hrs, the tuition credit was probably $1800 and the uncle rounded up. That's $20 an hour, if cash than certainly more than a regular job but its a tuition credit so basically financial aid, which comes in many forms and varied amounts from the schools based on the school's endowment. At least this kid was earning his credit vs. being given the money from an endowment or EdChoice for doing nothing at all. Its also not unheard of for Catholic parishes to offer similar credits for fulfilling various needs to families needing assistance to meet the school tuition. How is it really different than all of the high school booster programs requiring a certain number of booster service hours but then include credits for them/waive them in all the higher donor levels?

My son has attended Moeller's bball camp, it was from 9am-3pm. And there were 3 of them this year right so that's 90hrs, the tuition credit was probably $1800 and the uncle rounded up. That's $20 an hour, if cash than certainly more than a regular job but its a tuition credit so basically financial aid, which comes in many forms and varied amounts from the schools based on the school's endowment. At least this kid was earning his credit vs. being given the money from an endowment or EdChoice for doing nothing at all. Its also not unheard of for Catholic parishes to offer similar credits for fulfilling various needs to families needing assistance to meet the school tuition. How is it really different than all of the high school booster programs requiring a certain number of booster service hours but then include credits for them/waive them in all the higher donor levels?
The basketball program only gives you the option to get paid cash money for 1 camp. If you work 3 camps you then can choose between a credit towards team fees or service hours. Typically if you work every day of a camp you get between $500-$600 and you only get that once. Of course if the kid is good then this wouldn't matter bc the rules would be selectively enforced based on whether he is a "starter" or on "scout team". I would love to see an accounting of the slush fund that Kremer has put together . . . basketball program is outside the athletic department and not subject to the same rules as the other teams.