MLB reportedly discussing wild addition and realignment idea

Sig Hansen

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/10/17...-expansion-radical-realignment/?sf122753506=1

The details of the plan:

The American and National Leagues would be disposed of, with MLB putting all 32 teams into four, eight-team, regionally-based divisions: East, North, Midwest, West. This is designed to (a) maintain regional and traditional rivalries while (b) cutting way back on cross-time zone travel. Both New York teams and Boston are in the “North,” both Chicago teams and St. Louis are in the “Midwest,” etc. Texas and Houston are in the “Midwest” too, but we’ll let the Texans get mad about that later.
The playoffs would feature a LOT of play-in games. Specifically, Ringolsby would have the four division winners go to the Division Series, where they would play the winner of four different Wild Card games, the participants in which would come from the eight non-division winners with the best records, regardless of which division they came from.
The schedule would go back to 156 games, giving every team an off-day every week. Between that and the more compact, almost all single-time-zone divisions, the travel schedules would be far less taxing, with shorter flights and more flights which could leave the day after a night game as opposed to directly after a night game, causing teams to arrive in the next city in the wee hours of the morning.

Well this would certainly shake things up a bit. Wow

Last edited:

Pros and cons of this idea, in my opinion

Pro: Divisional realignment would be sweet. Think about how nice a Chicago x2, STL, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati division would be. Attendance would rise a bit due to the ease of traveling to road games.
Con: DH would almost certainly be implemented across the league, which I HATE

Pro: Montreal Expos are back
Con: Bad teams like the Marlins and Rays still exist. Contract both and keep a 30 team league

Pro: 156 game season
Con: Actual season doesn't get any shorter and regular season still ends in late September/October. Need to cut it back to 140 or less imo.

Just a wild idea all around because you don't expect to see MLB make such drastic changes, ever.

Last edited:
Fine with it as long as they ban the DH

Not gonna happen, sadly. Although this could be a marketing chip for the owners to negotiate when they talk about fewer games. If the owners are willing to give up revenue for fewer games, players have to give up the DH. However I think most owners probably like the DH and most AL fans seem to like it. Doesn't mean they're not crazy though

Pros and cons of this idea, in my opinion

Pro: Divisional realignment would be sweet. Think about how nice a Chicago x2, STL, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati division would be. Attendance would rise a bit due to the ease of traveling to road games.
Con: DH would almost certainly be implemented across the league, which I HATE

Pro: Montreal Expos are back
Con: Bad teams like the Marlins and Rays still exist. Contract both and keep a 30 team league

Pro: 156 game season
Con: Actual season doesn't get any shorter and regular season still ends in late September/October. Need to cut it back to 140 or less imo.

Just a wild idea all around because you don't expect to see MLB make such drastic changes, ever.

Can't get rid of Miami's because of that new stadium. But would be nice

East: New York x2, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore, Montreal, Washington, Philadelphia
South: Tampa Bay, Florida, Atlanta, Texas, Houston, Kansas City, STL, Colorado?
Central: Chicago x2, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland
West: LA x2, San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, Arizona, Portland, Seattle

Colorado and STL would both get screwed

I'm curious how the divisions will be split. Maybe

Midwest
Cincinnati
Chicago Cubs
Chicago White Sox
Colorado
Houston
Kansas City
St. Louis
Texas

North
Boston
Detroit
Montreal
Minnesota
Milwaukee
New York Mets
New York Yankees
Toronto

East
Atlanta
Baltimore
Cleveland
Miami
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Tampa
Washington

West
Arizona
Los Angeles Dodgers
Los Angeles Angels
Oakland
Portland
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle

I'm curious how the divisions will be split. Maybe

Midwest
Cincinnati
Chicago Cubs
Chicago White Sox
Colorado
Houston
Kansas City
St. Louis
Texas

North
Boston
Detroit
Montreal
Minnesota
Milwaukee
New York Mets
New York Yankees
Toronto

East
Atlanta
Baltimore
Cleveland
Miami
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Tampa
Washington

West
Arizona
Los Angeles Dodgers
Los Angeles Angels
Oakland
Portland
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle

That's probably more realistic. Either way I'd say this has about a 1% chance of happening

Would be awesome to have Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati together. I don't know how they'd make that work but they should.

Sounds like what the NHL did. Might have made things easier but people are still getting used to Detroit being in the East as they were always a mainstay with Chicago as a West team. People would fuss over the changes but all of these sound fairly reasonable.

Other option would be to have 8 four team divisions

Northeast: NYY, BOS, MTL, TOR
East: NYM, WAS, BAL, PHI
Southeast: TB, MIA, ATL, HOU
Central1: TEX, KC, MIN, COL
Central 2: CIN, PIT, CLE, DET
Midwest: CHC, CHW, STL, MIL
West1: LAD, LAA, SF, OAK
West2: SD, ARI, POR, SEA

I really like the concept of having inter city rivalries going on all year long. Would be awesome and adds the derby atmosphere of soccer to baseball

I really wouldn't mind seeing a league-wide implementation of the DH. I'd be willing to trade an automatic out for less "strategy". I never understood the fascination with hating the DH but it's a non-issue for me.

I really wouldn't mind seeing a league-wide implementation of the DH. I'd be willing to trade an automatic out for less "strategy". I never understood the fascination with hating the DH but it's a non-issue for me.

The "strategy" is precisely why I like it. It adds more to the later innings of a game, or a game where the starter doesn't last very long.

The little strategy it adds is trumped by the awfulness of having an automatic out 4-5 times a game. Like I said, non-issue for me and I couldn't care less which way the MLB decides to go with it, just playing devil's advocate.

What the MLB really needs to focus on is significantly reducing game times and length of the season.

The little strategy it adds is trumped by the awfulness of having an automatic out 4-5 times a game. Like I said, non-issue for me and I couldn't care less which way the MLB decides to go with it, just playing devil's advocate.

What the MLB really needs to focus on is significantly reducing game times and length of the season.

Again, I actually like watching a pitcher get a hit or bunt. Call me crazy, I just do. The oddness of a pitcher getting a double or an RBI is fairly entertaining imo. But I can see why people hate it.

Agree wholeheartedly on the second point. These playoffs have been pretty good so far but the numerous 4-5 hour nine inning games are totally insane

The DH was contrived for children who have low attention spans. There's more top baseball than home runs, you clowns.

If I wanted to watch players bat who can't hit major league pitching, I'd watch college ball instead of MLB, or at least I'd go watch the Reds.

Apparently you never watched a certain Ohio State outfielder who graduated a few years ago. That dude could rake

I may be willing to compromise on the DH if MLB would institute a hard salary cap. That's about the only way though.

Apparently you never watched a certain Ohio State outfielder who graduated a few years ago. That dude could rake

I may be willing to compromise on the DH if MLB would institute a hard salary cap. That's about the only way though.

That David Corna kid sucked. He couldn't hit a curveball if his life depended on it.

He was a Brent Suter wanna be

Dumb. Baseball has more tradition than any other sport. Getting rid of what makes baseball great is the quickest way to ruin it.

Why not start the season two weeks earlier and end it in mid-October. Late March weather is usually better than Late October weather. Why are they waiting to play meaningless games in early April and playing the most important games in late October. Dumb.