MLB Playoffs 2022

14Red

A thread for this years baseball playoffs. Some intriguing matchups.

It all begins this weekend with the wild card round, best of 3 with all 3 games being at the top seeds site.

Not a Guardians fan, but they got a pretty sweet schedule, probably as good as they could hope for. With 92 wins for the season, they had the lowest win total of the 6 divisions. The AL matchups are not great from a viewership standpoint, the Guardians/ Rays, Blue Jays/ Mariners may be two of the lowest watched playoff series ever. Now the NL wild card with the Mets/ Padres and Phillies / Cardinal will draw HUGE numbers.

Guards clinched early and have been home over a week and playing good. Rays ended on road loosing 5. Weather will be cold, All signs point to Cleveland but may have to face 2 lefties. If it goes to game 3 Quantril has never lost in Cleveland.
I’ll take Guardians Mariners Mets Phillies.

Love this Guardians team, and would like to see them at least get into the next round, but if I were forced to bet on their opening series I would bet they get quickly swept by Tampa Bay. Hate the starting pitching match ups. Bieber and McKenzie give up homers and the Guardians haven’t hit lefties well all season. I expect Cleveland’s line up to go dormant and Bieber and McKenzie will give up a couple bombs each and TB, who has faced a much stiffer schedule this year, moves on. I would love to be wrong, of course, and I will be rooting hard for the Guardians.

A thread for this years baseball playoffs. Some intriguing matchups.

It all begins this weekend with the wild card round, best of 3 with all 3 games being at the top seeds site.

Not a Guardians fan, but they got a pretty sweet schedule, probably as good as they could hope for. With 92 wins for the season, they had the lowest win total of the 6 divisions. The AL matchups are not great from a viewership standpoint, the Guardians/ Rays, Blue Jays/ Mariners may be two of the lowest watched playoff series ever. Now the NL wild card with the Mets/ Padres and Phillies / Cardinal will draw HUGE numbers.
None of these series will draw huge viewership numbers. They won’t fare well against college and pro football this weekend.

Love this Guardians team, and would like to see them at least get into the next round, but if I were forced to bet on their opening series I would bet they get quickly swept by Tampa Bay. Hate the starting pitching match ups. Bieber and McKenzie give up homers and the Guardians haven’t hit lefties well all season. I expect Cleveland’s line up to go dormant and Bieber and McKenzie will give up a couple bombs each and TB, who has faced a much stiffer schedule this year, moves on. I would love to be wrong, of course, and I will be rooting hard for the Guardians.
Not a Guardians/ Indians fan, but I love the way the team was built and the Cleveland draft / development process. Francona is the best manager in baseball, hands down.
But do you wonder if the club should have/ could have gone out and got a big bat or two - even if it's just renting a guy or two for this season? I fear they will get good playoff pitching, but will simply not be able to score. I think they have a great matchup for the playoffs. Home for the Rays, then the Yankees who've scuffled much of the last few months. I'd give them as much of a chance getting to ALCS than any other wild card team.

But do you wonder if the club should have/ could have gone out and got a big bat or two - even if it's just renting a guy or two for this season?
I think the hope might have been that Franmil Reyes was going to be that big bat - then he flamed out majorly this year.

Guardians young hitters are a little bit too hyped to start off today. They usually make the pitchers work hard by looking at a lot of pitches, but the first time through they are swinging early and getting out without making the pitcher sweat at all.

My series picks sure to go wrong:

AL:

Guardians over Rays
Blue Jays over Mariners

Yankees over Guardians
Astros over Blue Jays

Astros over Yankees

NL:

Mets over Padres
Phillies over Cardinals

Mets over Dodgers
Braves over Phillies

Braves over Mets

World Series:

Astros over Braves — Dusty finally gets a title and rides off into the sunset.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Guardians young hitters are a little bit too hyped to start off today. They usually make the pitchers work hard by looking at a lot of pitches, but the first time through they are swinging early and getting out without making the pitcher sweat at all.
Ironic that the teams with two of the lowest HR totals during the season have two home runs accounting for all the runs so far (through 7)

Gotta say, I love Giminez’s game, but I think his barber must be Uncle Enzo. Dude needs to work on that, unless there’s another mole up there as big as a tangerine….

My series picks sure to go wrong:

AL:

Guardians over Rays
Blue Jays over Mariners

Yankees over Guardians
Astros over Blue Jays

Astros over Yankees

NL:

Mets over Padres
Phillies over Cardinals

Mets over Dodgers
Braves over Phillies

Braves over Mets

World Series:

Astros over Braves — Dusty finally gets a title and rides off into the sunset.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
Hope you're right, Dusty took a lot of unfounded grief in Cincy.

I was a little worried about this team. Didn’t like the match ups, but this team just doesn’t care. Can’t count them out. Love it! Happy to be wrong.

No freaking relievers! :)

I've said it before but they remind me of the 60s Dodgers teams. Great job Guards. Finish it tomorrow.
My old HS English teacher was a classmate of John Roseboro. He would appreciate your reference, as would Maury Wills and Wille Davis. 🙂

My old HS English teacher was a classmate of John Roseboro. He would appreciate your reference, as would Maury Wills and Wille Davis. 🙂
John Roseboro. Of course, he was the catcher of that great Dodger pitching staff but when I hear his name the first thing I think of is the incident when Juan Marichal of the Giants hit him in the head with his bat. Ugly scene between the old bitter NL rivals.

I think the hope might have been that Franmil Reyes was going to be that big bat - then he flamed out majorly this year.
That may have been the fastest baseball game ever. Looked like a get away day after a long roadtrip. So many early swings. Baseball isn't that complicated, pitchers throw strikes, batters have to swing.

How many times do we see it in baseball. Who's the one guy for Cleveland that, if your the opponent is not going to beat us?? Ramirez right? We'll, you got happy because you got him out a few times and you pitched to him one too many times - bingo, you lose 2-1.

How many times do we see it in baseball. Who's the one guy for Cleveland that, if your the opponent is not going to beat us?? Ramirez right? We'll, you got happy because you got him out a few times and you pitched to him one too many times - bingo, you lose 2-1.
Some managers would just walk him and push the runner from first into scoring position simply because they aren’t going to allow Ramirez to beat them. Others, as Cash chose to do, pitch to him so as not to allow the tie run to get into scoring position for free. The gamble did not pay off for the Rays.

Some managers would just walk him and push the runner from first into scoring position simply because they aren’t going to allow Ramirez to beat them. Others, as Cash chose to do, pitch to him so as not to allow the tie run to get into scoring position for free. The gamble did not pay off for the Rays.
It's the age old question, would you rather get beat by Oscar Gonzales (who?) or Jose Ramirez???

So with the Seattle/ Toronto series in Canada, what is the current Covid rules in Canada? Is there still a ban on non-vaxxed people?