Midwest Meet of Champions

JAVMAN83

As a follow-up to another thread from last summer, I'm endeavoring to document the winners of each of the MMOC's from 1974 till Ohio's last participation in 2019. This meet was important to a couple of generations of Ohio athletes to be ignored. Many athletes from participating states went on to compete in World & Olympic championships.

As a follow-up to another thread from last summer, I'm endeavoring to document the winners of each of the MMOC's from 1974 till Ohio's last participation in 2019. This meet was important to a couple of generations of Ohio athletes to be ignored. Many athletes from participating states went on to compete in World & Olympic championships.
I thought that The Midwest Meet of Champions was first held in 1985 in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I thought that The Midwest Meet of Champions was first held in 1985 in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
No, it goes back to 1974. Orginally called the "Tri-State Championship" between Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan. Jeff Ross of West Chester Lakota high jump fame won the 1980 version with a 6' 10" leap for reference.

7' 0 1/2" from the VFW Invite @ Edgewood (Trenton) on May 7, 1979. T&F News also notes that mark in their HS Track 1980 (1979 season) issue.
Must be a typo on my part. I did have it on the web site at 7'0½. https://www.swotccca.com/Documents/CityRecords/Cincinnati City Records Boys42.pdf. I'm not sure if Lakota before the split into East and West was ever referred to at West Chester Lakota. After the split into two high schools they were referred to as Liberty Township Lakota East and West Chester Lakota West.

Must be a typo on my part. I did have it on the web site at 7'0½. https://www.swotccca.com/Documents/CityRecords/Cincinnati City Records Boys42.pdf. I'm not sure if Lakota before the split into East and West was ever referred to at West Chester Lakota. After the split into two high schools they were referred to as Liberty Township Lakota East and West Chester Lakota West.
We knew it locally as just "Lakota", and I competed there twice myself back in '81 & '83. In fact, I was there for the the All-Star meet in late May '81 and witnessed Miford's Napoleom McCallum clear both 13' 6" & 6' 8" in the PV/HJ that were located right next to each other on the west end of the stadium (as I think I remember it). However, given that there's also a Kansas Lakota in Ohio, I believe OHSAA did refer to it as West Chester Lakota in order to differentiate between the two.

We knew it locally as just "Lakota", and I competed there twice myself back in '81 & '83. In fact, I was there for the the All-Star meet in late May '81 and witnessed Miford's Napoleom McCallum clear both 13' 6" & 6' 8" in the PV/HJ that were located right next to each other on the west end of the stadium (as I think I remember it). However, given that there's also a Kansas Lakota in Ohio, I believe OHSAA did refer to it as West Chester Lakota in order to differentiate between the two.

It's just as JAVMAN has mentioned. OHSAA needed to differentiate the much larger Lakota north of Cincinnati from the smaller one located between Bowling Green and Fremont.

Scroll to last page of either link.

Those basketball teams' tournament runs were the first times I'd ever heard of Lakota as a pre-teen living in NE Ohio, especially '92 when 2 teams in my neck of the woods, Firestone and McKinley, also made the state semis. Incidentally, that '91 hoops team had at least 3 guys go on to play at major DI programs. Steve Belter at OSU after transferring from Cleveland St, JB Reafsnyder at Syracuse, and Keith Gregor at UC.

Last edited: