Midwest Athletic Conference 2023

Who Wins The MAC in 2023?

• Total voters
When it comes to programs, FR ain't above Minster or Anna.

If you wan't my reason why, see post #29.
I guess I can see why you say that. In my mind, both FR and Anna’s head coaches got lucky and had a stud class walk through the halls. Honestly though without Anna’s class I doubt he would still be there. Minster is ahead of Anna on my board because the last two years since Minster got their new coach he is 1-1 against Anna with his one loss being by a point

If we are still talking top MAC coaches, Fort Recovery's does have a state title.
if you are going by State Championships.. then yes you are correct, if you are going by what a coach gets out of his team each season... then the rankings might be a little different.

so does Anna's coach... and that team could have been one of the Best teams ever in the MAC... does St Henrys coach have a State title?
He doesn’t but I think year by year he has had better teams than Anna’s coach. I think Anna’s coach benefited from maybe the best team of all time

He doesn’t but I think year by year he has had better teams than Anna’s coach. I think Anna’s coach benefited from maybe the best team of all time
And then a dearth of upperclassmen after that. I’ve seen coaches piss away talent before, and he sure didn’t in 2019. I think Anna will be pretty decent this year.

Any word on the fields that were redone? Believe Loramie and Versailles got facelifts to the turf. Seems like the weather has been good this yr for grass.

Dang, rode by Loramie high school twice last week and forgot to look at the field.

Long shot, by I might as well ask. Does anyone know what the bleachers/press box are like at St. Paris Graham? Trying to plan if I can get in the press box or if I need to bring a table and/or extension cord for doing stats at a game there.

Dang, rode by Loramie high school twice last week and forgot to look at the field.

Long shot, by I might as well ask. Does anyone know what the bleachers/press box are like at St. Paris Graham? Trying to plan if I can get in the press box or if I need to bring a table and/or extension cord for doing stats at a game there.

it was a DIRT field last week

And then a dearth of upperclassmen after that. I’ve seen coaches piss away talent before, and he sure didn’t in 2019. I think Anna will be pretty decent this year.
And what about 2018? Some believe Anna should have had back-to-back titles starting in 18. Heard Marino speak once, good speaker but Anna IMO has not always performed up to its talent.

Last edited:
wasn't Versailles done last season?
Versailles sprayed their field with round up early this spring and then tilled it up. Added some good rich soil and new irrigation and then reseeded it. It has been a challenging Spring to start grass because of the cold spring and a considerable dry period. Although there is now an ok start of grass and weeds that I heard just got cut for the 1st time this week. I get a picture of Hole Field in the near future.
Picture was April 12.

Attachments

• 20230412_162256.jpg
    20230412_162256.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 39
And what about 2018? Some believe Anna should have had back-to-back titles starting in 18. Heard Marino speak once, good speaker but Anna IMO has not always performed up to its talent.
Eh, they got beat in the playoffs on a last second drive in an absolute quagmire. I believe the same thing happened in 2017. Back to back is very difficult. Al Hetrick had a ton of junior studs at Versailles in 2002 (the year before they went 15-0) and didn’t even make the playoffs.

Eh, they got beat in the playoffs on a last second drive in an absolute quagmire. I believe the same thing happened in 2017. Back to back is very difficult. Al Hetrick had a ton of junior studs at Versailles in 2002 (the year before they went 15-0) and didn’t even make the playoffs.
Yes and no. The 2003 state team skill positions were all seniors and stars. But the whole entire line was juniors. Part of the reason they were runners up the following year. Didn’t have a very good line in 2002 due to youth. Skill position is flashy but always comes back to the big fellas up front.

“This was a great matchup. Only one team is going to win this whole thing,” Stokes said.

“That kid (Huelskamp) is a stud. These guys should be going for their third straight state title. That’s what they should be doing. They need to go win one.”

From Press Pros Magazine, I don't know about 3 in a row but Anna had basically the same team in 17 as they had in 18.

Yes and no. The 2003 state team skill positions were all seniors and stars. But the whole entire line was juniors. Part of the reason they were runners up the following year. Didn’t have a very good line in 2002 due to youth. Skill position is flashy but always comes back to the big fellas up front.
This will be interesting to see how the MAC develops their lines this year. Good lines can make good coaches, good coaches can make good lines. As for Versailles it only returns two returning starters on the O line and will need to replace its Fullback that is basically a guard in the backfield. The good thing for the Tigers is there are good numbers of seniors competing for positions and underclassmen making their talent known.

This will be interesting to see how the MAC develops their lines this year. Good lines can make good coaches, good coaches can make good lines. As for Versailles it only returns two returning starters on the O line and will need to replace its Fullback that is basically a guard in the backfield. The good thing for the Tigers is there are good numbers of seniors competing for positions and underclassmen making their talent known.
2.5 returning staters on the O line for VHS. One fella got injured midway. VTJ brings up a good question: how do the O and D lines look within the MAC this yr.

“This was a great matchup. Only one team is going to win this whole thing,” Stokes said.

“That kid (Huelskamp) is a stud. These guys should be going for their third straight state title. That’s what they should be doing. They need to go win one.”

From Press Pros Magazine, I don't know about 3 in a row but Anna had basically the same team in 17 as they had in 18.
Coming from a rival MAC coach, that sounds more like a shot than a compliment. I doubt Stokes cared how it was perceived, though.

Saw Dave posted a tweet for an article about DSJ considering the NWC. Click the link & page not found. 🤣 What's the back story to that one?
Screenshot_20230623_092003_Twitter.jpg