Michigan Under New Investigation: Sign Stealing ?

Wonder if this actually becomes a credible problem for Harbaugh with the other nonsense that's swirled around him and the problem.

Probably depends on the exact details here as to how intricate this was and how much he actually orchestrated it.

It's not the sign stealing. It's the in person scouting. Which is interesting. Back in the day, that is how high schools scouted. Typically the jr high coaches were tasked with going to the next week's opponent's game. I'm pretty sure my kid's school still does that, and or were doing it when he was playing there.

1697760325806.png

Lol.

How is this a big deal? Like Hammerdrill mentioned, I charted future opponents plays and tendencies back in the day. If there were any obvious sideline signals I could figure out I certainly would have noted it.

Two thoughts I find hilarious:

1) Their schedule this year has been absolute so far, and it's absurd they'd have unallowed reconnaissance trying to get an undue advantage against teams like Rutgers and Minnesota.

2) If this is actually a heavily ingrained aspect of their program, it laughably somewhat explains getting their chit pushed in in the playoffs the last two years, especially against TCU last year.

Two thoughts I find hilarious:

1) Their schedule this year has been absolute so far, and it's absurd they'd have unallowed reconnaissance trying to get an undue advantage against teams like Rutgers and Minnesota.

2) If this is actually a heavily ingrained aspect of their program, it laughably somewhat explains getting their chit pushed in in the playoffs the last two years, especially against TCU last year.
Where there is smoke...

How is this a big deal? Like Hammerdrill mentioned, I charted future opponents plays and tendencies back in the day. If there were any obvious sideline signals I could figure out I certainly would have noted it.
I think the big deal is allegedly getting in-person feedback on signals that you wouldn't get from watching the ample coaches' cut films that are made available and traded in season. It is SpyGate-esque, if it's being done.

Now should it be? I have a sneaky suspicion the real reason this practice isn't allowed within the rules isn't a sanctity of the game type of thing, but rather an idiot NCAA bureaucratic cost control measure like the recent dumb regulation against photo shoots for recruits on unofficial visits.

It's not the sign stealing. It's the in person scouting. Which is interesting. Back in the day, that is how high schools scouted. Typically the jr high coaches were tasked with going to the next week's opponent's game. I'm pretty sure my kid's school still does that, and or were doing it when he was playing there.
Some schools still do this but I’d say half do not. I always liked it because a coach could pick up other details not always clear on film (injuries, attitudes, etc.).

Hudl has made life much easier than the days of charting by hand and trying to time your VHS rewind just right. 😉

Whenever you have competition, you have incentives to gain an advantage. So, rules are developed to draw the lines of what can and can't be done, but human beings love to test boundaries.

The stealing of signs and the tipping of pitches the Astros did was a remarkable example of what competitors are willing to do.

But this is *ichigan with their *ichigan men and their inflated sense of honor. So, it's delicious.

Now excuse me while I go over to MGo to see the pretzeling going on over there. Fun stuff.

Some schools still do this but I’d say half do not. I always liked it because a coach could pick up other details not always clear on film (injuries, attitudes, etc.).

Hudl has made life much easier than the days of charting by hand and trying to time your VHS rewind just right. 😉
VHS? You must be young. We had 8mm when I was in HS. I think we finally had VHS my senior year. Hudl is great. And 8mm was far superior to VHS too, just less convenient.

100% Facts. Except for us it was JV coaches.

No, he has one of the highest winning % of an NFL HC over the last 20 yrs.
He would've left 3 years ago if an NFL team really wanted him.

Instead, he stayed, took a pay cut, and it looks like they're winning more now because they're cheating.

He would've left 3 years ago if an NFL team really wanted him.

Instead, he stayed, took a pay cut, and it looks like they're winning more now because they're cheating.
They started that practice in ‘22, so there’s no excuse for why they won in ‘21.

Whenever you have competition, you have incentives to gain an advantage. So, rules are developed to draw the lines of what can and can't be done, but human beings love to test boundaries.

The stealing of signs and the tipping of pitches the Astros did was a remarkable example of what competitors are willing to do.

But this is *ichigan with their *ichigan men and their inflated sense of honor. So, it's delicious.

Now excuse me while I go over to MGo to see the pretzeling going on over there. Fun stuff.
I would of thought the reaction over at MGO would be like:

download.jpeg

Instead what I read was more about who ratted them out.

Now that the story about the alleged improper scouting is out, will UM football performance suffer?

I would of thought the reaction over at MGO would be like:

View attachment 48405

Instead what I read was more about who ratted them out.

Now that the story about the alleged improper scouting is out, will UM football performance suffer?
It's hilarious seeing the reactions of TTUN fans in response to MSU's initial considerations for cancelling the game this weekend. I saw more than a few Sparty fans mentioning how Harbaugh ducked tOSU during the Covid season.

They started that practice in ‘22, so there’s no excuse for why they won in ‘21.
While he was stationed at Camp Pendleton in California, Stalions wrote, he served as a volunteer assistant coach at Michigan from May 2015 to May 2022.

"On top of my daily duties as a Logistics Officer leading [40-plus] at a time, I volunteered for the Michigan football staff, flying back [and] forth on my own dime, assisting the defensive staff," Stalions wrote.

While he was stationed at Camp Pendleton in California, Stalions wrote, he served as a volunteer assistant coach at Michigan from May 2015 to May 2022.
I was going to say, I thought the NCAA/Big10 said it’s been going since at least 2021. The guy was just officially hired by UM in 2022.