Michael Stanley

Just coming here to post this:

Cleveland music legend Michael Stanley dies at 72
Michael Stanley's music career spanned five decades

Devastating news for music fans in Cleveland. Michael Stanley, 72, has died. He was diagnosed with lung cancer last fall and fought until the very end.

Michael Stanley Gee was born in 1948, the same year the Indians won the World Series. He loved baseball, playing throughout his childhood in Cleveland and Rocky River. His ability earned him a baseball scholarship to Hiram College.

His Mom was my librarian in Junior High School. Alot of girls sucked up to her trying to get tickets to go see him in concert.

Coincidentally, I was listening to some old Michael Stanley Band songs just yesterday on youtube and still have a couple albums (Stage Pass and the first Michael Stanley).

I'm from SWO, but my roommate Sophomore year at Miami U. was from Cleveland. My taste in music was Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt and lots of "southern" rock, e.g. Skynyrd, Allman Bros., Flying Burritos, Byrds, Poco, Eagles, etc. My roomie had a completely different taste and introduced me to other bands: UFO, Earthquake, Nazareth, Roxy Music, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Mott the Hoople, Velvet Underground and, of course, The Michael Stanley Band.

I've shared this before on yappi: we saw the MSB at a small venue, Hall Auditorium, on Miami's campus, circa 1977. Great live show. My fondest memory was hanging around after the show, at my roommate's insistence, to meet the band. Sure enough, the MSB came out and mingled with us and a few others after the show. My roommate even gave one of them a big "fattie" for the road.

RIP Michael Stanley.

Favorite songs:

Lover
Somewhere in the Night
Falling in Love Again
Let's get the Show on the Road
Nothing's Gonna Change my Mind
Spanish Nights
Just another Night in America
Why should Love be this Way

Favorite songs:

Lover
Somewhere in the Night
Falling in Love Again
Let's get the Show on the Road
Nothing's Gonna Change my Mind
Spanish Nights
Just another Night in America
Why should Love be this Way
Good list.

I always liked "Rosewood Bitters" and "Waste a Little Time on Me." An underrated rocker, with Joe Walsh playing a mean slide guitar, was "Rock and Roll Man" from his first album.

He was legendary; what a tremendous songwriter!

I was at the Richfield Coliseum on New Year's Eve '81 when John Cougar opened for MSB. Also was there for the MSB final nights at the Front Row Theater. Probably saw him over a dozen times as his career unfolded over the decades; simply great music.

Favorites include:

Midwest Midnight
Nothings Gonna Change My Mind
Lets Get the Show on the Road
Misery Loves Company
Spanish Nights
Take the Time
Somewhere in the Night
My Last Day on Earth

RIP; thank you for the ride.

I'm still recovering from an MSB concert at Blossom in the early 80's with Donny Iris and Cruisers as the warmup. Donny was the Michael Stanley of the Pittsburgh area.

Canei wine and Milich's chicken were not a good combo.
My brother.R.I.P. got his start in the music business working as a roadie for Breathless with Jonah Koslen and MSB in the 70's. His best friend in School was the drummer for Donny Iris( Kevin Valentine). So my brother got his break from that friendship and became the lighting tech for those Donny Iris shows . He was at whatever show you are referring to. He met Jules Belkin (Belkin Brothers) and they took him under their wing to help him go on to be a world renowned lighting director for live stage acts designing and running the lights for touring acts from Kiss, Michael Jackson, Ozzy, Earth Wind and Fire, Peter Frampton etc,etc,.And even a special request from Eric Clapton to do the lights for a New Years Eve show at the Hard Rock Vegas among many others .Even Charlie Daniels and Dianna Ross.

My brother.R.I.P. got his start in the music business working as a roadie for Breathless with Jonah Koslen and MSB in the 70's. His best friend in School was the drummer for Donny Iris( Kevin Valentine). So my brother got his break from that friendship and became the lighting tech for those Donny Iris shows . He was at whatever show you are referring to. He met Jules Belkin (Belkin Brothers) and they took him under their wing to help him go on to be a world renowned lighting director for live stage acts designing and running the lights for touring acts from Kiss, Michael Jackson, Ozzy, Earth Wind and Fire, Peter Frampton etc,etc,.And even a special request from Eric Clapton to do the lights for a New Years Eve show at the Hard Rock Vegas among many others .Even Charlie Daniels and Dianna Ross.
I have a brother who did quite a bit of both sound board and light work in the 70's at the Tomorrow Club in Youngstown, later the Youngstown Agora. He also did some of the same off and on for Donnie Iris, so our brothers probably knew each other, and likely worked some gigs together back in the day.

I suspect he has much clearer memories of that night than I do!

Unfortunately was never a big fan, always thought MSB was a copy of Southside Johnny who was in turn a copy of Bruce Springsteen; maybe that is why they were never a thing outside of NEO? I will grant that he had a great hometown audience that he parlayed into a 2nd career as a TV host and radio DJ. Also liked the tune Rosewood Bitters but I do prefer Joe Walsh's more rocking cover.

I have a brother who did quite a bit of both sound board and light work in the 70's at the Tomorrow Club in Youngstown, later the Youngstown Agora. He also did some of the same off and on for Donnie Iris, so our brothers probably knew each other, and likely worked some gigs together back in the day.
That is probably very true. 6 degrees of separation!!!
I suspect he has much clearer memories of that night than I do!
LOL!!!! Maybe ? Wish he were alive now to ask him.

Nice gesture yesterday for Mr. Stanley, as most rock stations in northern Ohio all played "My Town" simultaneously at 10:35 am.

Coincidentally, I was listening to some old Michael Stanley Band songs just yesterday on youtube and still have a couple albums (Stage Pass and the first Michael Stanley).

I'm from SWO, but my roommate Sophomore year at Miami U. was from Cleveland. My taste in music was Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt and lots of "southern" rock, e.g. Skynyrd, Allman Bros., Flying Burritos, Byrds, Poco, Eagles, etc. My roomie had a completely different taste and introduced me to other bands: UFO, Earthquake, Nazareth, Roxy Music, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Mott the Hoople, Velvet Underground and, of course, The Michael Stanley Band.

I've shared this before on yappi: we saw the MSB at a small venue, Hall Auditorium, on Miami's campus, circa 1977. Great live show. My fondest memory was hanging around after the show, at my roommate's insistence, to meet the band. Sure enough, the MSB came out and mingled with us and a few others after the show. My roommate even gave one of them a big "fattie" for the road.

RIP Michael Stanley.
MSB, i think played at BGSU in the early 80's almost every year.....i think there was a few people from CLeveland that were on the student council who made that decision.... but they sure did put on a great show