Mentor schedules Mass/Eds

MentorGrad2002

They are home and home series coming up in the next couple of seasons

Massillon will play in Mentor in 2016 and at their place in 2017. Both look like week 1 games

I hope this can go on long term. I know Mentor won't stop the series. Many fans wanted it to resume and I'm glad it's back

Mentor will be at home vs St Edward in 2017 and play in Lakewood in 2018. Saves eds going out of state.

Glad to see mentor could schedule 2 good opponents who are not afraid of competition. It's too bad more teams won't schedule up as these 3 teams are avoided by many teams in NE Ohio

Edit. And I'm posting this again since this site won't let me view the other one

Last edited:

Jason hall had our schedule so watered down I thought we were eventually going to be playing Strasburg.

Good to see a coach who isn't afraid of competition.

Outstanding!!!

That is good news. If Moore's implementation of his program at Massillon mirrors his time at LaSalle, the Mentor @ Massillon game should be perfectly timed for the Tigers' build up to a big, big season.

Just keep the natives from getting too restless if things don't go well this week.

And that is?

St Ignatius. They won 12 of 13 against the Tigers. FWIW, Massillon hung in there for quite a while despite continuous losses. I don't think Massillon is going to back out after two games even if Mentor wins both.

The last six year series between Mentor and Massillon was tied at three a piece.

He said "the one matchup they have NEVER won", and I see his name is wildcat, but since we won one against them, I thought he meant someone else.

Massillon's win against Ignatius is legit. The Tigers earned it. I also don't blame Massillon for not scheduling Ignatius anymore. They played what, 12 or 13 times? That's more than more local teams.

Kudos to Mentor for their willingness to play a very tough non conference schedule.

What other local school is going to step up and start scheduling Mentor, Ed's, and Ignatius? Maybe Berea-Midpark?

Massillon's win against Ignatius is legit. The Tigers earned it. I also don't blame Massillon for not scheduling Ignatius anymore. They played what, 12 or 13 times? That's more than more local teams.

Kudos to Mentor for their willingness to play a very tough non conference schedule.

Massillon had 10 regular season games with Ignatius. 6 of the 10 were very competitive games (including the last one). 4 were, well, not.

There aren't a lot of 10 year series out there between any two teams that are competitive games in all 10.

Mind you I'm not anyone who was involved in the series ending, but I'm assuming Ignatius was probably willing to keep it, but wasn't really pushing the issue when the decision was made to end it at 10 games.

I know Hall was part of the group of coaches/admin who decided to not play the big private schools for a while. He openly said it. So I'm sure he honored the deal, and moved on.

Beyond that, the series really never was able to keep its initial luster. Attendance numbers back that up (as pointed out, the last game at PBTS drew less fans than Buchtel did at PBTS).

Fast forward to now, and picking this series back up doesn't make sense. When this series first started you had two d1 teams that had a good chance of meeting in the state semifinals (which happened in 2001, and Massillon was there in 2002 but Ignatius lost to Warren week 11, who Massillon played in the semis; again in 2007 Massillon played the team Ignatius was knocked out by. 2008 the opposite happened.)

However now, we don't have that. Massillon is solidly in D2 and Ignatius D1. The whole intrigue around a regular season preview of what had a good chance of being a state semi matchup is gone.

Two programs in different situations. Ignatius is in the home stretch of Kyle's career and Massillon is in transition with a completely new coach with a completely different philosophy.

Right now I'm not sure if you put a mutual open date with an opportunity to renew the series in front of them that either coach would be jumping up to say "get it done"

Who knows.

-----

As for Mentor and Massillon. Nice to see it work out. This was a series that neither side really wanted to end, but league commitments and lack of mutual opens put the series on hold.

That series really never got boring. Both fan bases seemed to enjoy it and the kids got pumped up for it.

Enter Keith Wakefield pulling the "take my ball and go home" routine for the third time at perry since not getting the job he wanted at Massillon and viola! Mutual open date and both schools jumped on the opportunity. (Honestly, it's been 2 weeks since Keith took his AARP card off the table and Mentor and Massillon got the contract done.

Bravo.

I knew it.

Massillon had 10 regular season games with Ignatius. 6 of the 10 were very competitive games (including the last one). 4 were, well, not.

There aren't a lot of 10 year series out there between any two teams that are competitive games in all 10.

Mind you I'm not anyone who was involved in the series ending, but I'm assuming Ignatius was probably willing to keep it, but wasn't really pushing the issue when the decision was made to end it at 10 games.

I know Hall was part of the group of coaches/admin who decided to not play the big private schools for a while. He openly said it. So I'm sure he honored the deal, and moved on.

Beyond that, the series really never was able to keep its initial luster. Attendance numbers back that up (as pointed out, the last game at PBTS drew less fans than Buchtel did at PBTS).

Fast forward to now, and picking this series back up doesn't make sense. When this series first started you had two d1 teams that had a good chance of meeting in the state semifinals (which happened in 2001, and Massillon was there in 2002 but Ignatius lost to Warren week 11, who Massillon played in the semis; again in 2007 Massillon played the team Ignatius was knocked out by. 2008 the opposite happened.)

However now, we don't have that. Massillon is solidly in D2 and Ignatius D1. The whole intrigue around a regular season preview of what had a good chance of being a state semi matchup is gone.

Two programs in different situations. Ignatius is in the home stretch of Kyle's career and Massillon is in transition with a completely new coach with a completely different philosophy.

Right now I'm not sure if you put a mutual open date with an opportunity to renew the series in front of them that either coach would be jumping up to say "get it done"

Who knows.

-----

As for Mentor and Massillon. Nice to see it work out. This was a series that neither side really wanted to end, but league commitments and lack of mutual opens put the series on hold.

That series really never got boring. Both fan bases seemed to enjoy it and the kids got pumped up for it.

Enter Keith Wakefield pulling the "take my ball and go home" routine for the third time at perry since not getting the job he wanted at Massillon and viola! Mutual open date and both schools jumped on the opportunity. (Honestly, it's been 2 weeks since Keith took his AARP card off the table and Mentor and Massillon got the contract done.

Bravo.

I knew it. You couldn't heap the praise on this new wonderful deal, without saying something wise.

What other local school is going to step up and start scheduling Mentor, Ed's, and Ignatius? Maybe Berea-Midpark?

Berea can only schedule one nonleague game. The expanded SWC now had 10 teams and they play round robin. If Berea wants to take the next step (from making the playoffs to winning multiple playoff games), they have to see what it takes. Playing up with their nonleague game would be a great idea. Not to mention playing Ignatius would bring a big gate to Finney.

But having only Week 1 to work with for nonleague games leaves your options limited.

I would take a Mentor/Berea series.

I knew it. You couldn't heap the praise on this new wonderful deal, without saying something wise.
What you don't think we would love to drive 3 miles for week 1 next year. Your Coach punked out. We have to drive 60 miles now for week 1. Fine with us. Go hump on an NBC team because I bet that's who Shaky Wakey is looking at.:laugh:

Ok.

What you don't think we would love to drive 3 miles for week 1 next year. Your Coach punked out. We have to drive 60 miles now for week 1. Fine with us. Go hump on an NBC team because I bet that's who Shaky Wakey is looking at.:laugh:

Thanks.

Where was I wrong?

- Mentor and Massillon stopped their series because of league changes in Mentor and lack of mutual open dates

- Wakefield dropped Massillon despite Moore having a contract ready to sign

- This is the third time Wakefield has pushed and succeeded in convincing his admin to end the Massillon series. (Openly admitted by KW himself)

- Perry not renewing created a week 1 mutual open with Mentor

Let's face facts, Wake turning tail because he's KW and Massillon is Massillon is how this Mentor V Massillon series finally had the opportunity to be renewed.

Mentor has scheduling problems for a few reasons:

1) They are good
2) Geographically isolated in county
3) Most of the NEO public school teams that are/were willing to play to them are in their league

Games with St X, Boardman, Erie McDowell, and now St Eds are done out of necessity - not preference. I think Mentor is very happy with the series with Ignatius. Same with Massillon. It isn't so clear that Mentor would go out of their way to schedule St Eds. Nothing too personal, but if 2/3 of the nonleague schedule is loaded - I think Mentor would prefer to schedule someone other than the Eagles.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/2...or-has-heavyweight-schedule-in-upcoming-years

“We don’t have much of a choice,” Cassella said. “People aren’t really beating down doors to play us. We take who we can play. If we’re going to drive five hours to play St. Xavier, (St. Edward) is the same level of competition. Let’s just play an hour away instead.”

What I love about our AD is how honest he is and how he schedules up. It only helps the teams to play good competition. And at least the local teams plus past powers in NEO are complimenting us somewhat when they tuck their tails between their legs and hide.

Looks like all the teams that have a hard time finding games are just saying screw it let's just play each other.

Berea can only schedule one nonleague game. The expanded SWC now had 10 teams and they play round robin. If Berea wants to take the next step (from making the playoffs to winning multiple playoff games), they have to see what it takes. Playing up with their nonleague game would be a great idea. Not to mention playing Ignatius would bring a big gate to Finney.

But having only Week 1 to work with for nonleague games leaves your options limited.

I would take a Mentor/Berea series.

Perhaps a conference change is in order for B-M. Post merger, doesn't the GCC seem like more of a fit?