Mentor Football 2024

So that creates a nice advantage by sport it feels like .. go to Jackson if you are good at baseball, Go to Washington for football , Perry for winter sports ..

I don’t know seems interesting ..
I said Massillon Washington is open for all sports. Don't know about the other Massillon schools, but don't think so on Jackson. Jackson has a competitive balance number of 0 just like we do.

Mentor Offense will be “the way” this year.

There are no excuses this year why we can’t go back to “the best defense is a good offense” if we have to. I think our defense will be fine (especially the front 7) but any struggles they have should easily be overcome by this offense.

Offense personnel recap
- 5 Division I college offered players return on offense this year (2WR , QB , 2OL)
- Returning RB from injury who runs with bad intentions and two others with speed and aggression.
- 2 inside receivers with quickness and good hands
- 3 other O line with playing experience and size.

Keys to this season offensively IMHO :
-
1. Scotty has to be given more freedom to check at the line , make adjustments and move guys around. I would go so far as to say in some situations he needs to be given the Allar treatment and let him call and control some drives. He spends so much time with these receivers , he knows what the feel is in game , who is sharper on routes in the moment etc.

2. We need to be able to run between the tackles at will. Two years ago this meant running more of a TE/Wing look with Schenk, I’m all for doing something similar when needed. The argument is we should be able to run 5 wide all the time with this receiver core and Scotty , but with the RB’s we have this year we should be able to really open things up off the play action.

3. Would like to see us take more shots this year. We see it a lot with big arm QB’s , get the 1st down , take a shot at one of your big receivers, let those guys make plays , Scotty has an arm that most of the DB’s we will face can’t cover , use it.

Last edited:
I said Massillon Washington is open for all sports. Don't know about the other Massillon schools, but don't think so on Jackson. Jackson has a competitive balance number of 0 just like we do.
That is what I mean .. like if mentor had two high schools , if the kid is in mentor there wouldn’t be a feeder score. If you live in Massillon are you out of district for 2 of the 3 schools ?

Mentor Offense will be “the way” this year.

There are no excuses this year why we can’t go back to “the best defense is a good offense” if we have to. I think our defense will be fine (especially the front 7) but any struggles they have should easily be overcome by this offense.

Offense personnel recap
- 5 Division I college offered players return on offense this year (2WR , QB , 2OL)
- Returning RB from injury who runs with bad intentions and two others with speed and aggression.
- 2 inside receivers with quickness and good hands
- 3 other O line with playing experience and size.

Keys to this season offensively IMHO :
-
1. Scotty has to be given more freedom to check at the line , make adjustments and move guys around. I would go so far as to say in some situations he needs to be given the Allar treatment and let him call and control some drives. He spends so much time with these receivers , he knows what the feel is in game , who is shaper on routes in the moment etc.

2. We need to be able to run between the tackles at will. Two years ago this meant running more of a TE/Wing look with Schenk, I’m all for doing something similar when needed. The argument is we should be able to run 5 wide all the time with this receiver core and Scotty , but with the RB’s we have this year we should be able to really open things up off the play action.

3. Would like to see us take more shots this year. We see it a lot with big arm QB’s , get the 1st down , take a shot at one of your big receivers, let those guys make plays , Scotty has an arm that most of the DB’s we will face can’t cover , use it.
Agreed. Gray is an offensive coach and there is no excuse this year. They need to make a big jump

Would Mentor people like the Lorain move to the GCC?

Can see both sides of it.

On the positive, it eases scheduling. 8 conference teams means weeks 4-10 are filled. Ignatius can stay in week 2. You only have 2 games to schedule

On the negative, Lorain is another far trip in all sports. They also don't offer all sports that other GCC members offer. You can move St Ignatius to the Solon spot in their place and still only have weeks 1-3 to schedule in football. Plus Lorain hasn't been very good consistently

Id lean towards staying at 7 personally. Move St Ignatius to the later week vacated by Solon leaving. Schedule in weeks 1-3 when everyone is out of conference

The other sports besides football it doesn't matter if you have 7 or 8. I don't know that Lorain adds much

Would Mentor people like the Lorain move to the GCC?

Can see both sides of it.

On the positive, it eases scheduling. 8 conference teams means weeks 4-10 are filled. Ignatius can stay in week 2. You only have 2 games to schedule

On the negative, Lorain is another far trip in all sports. They also don't offer all sports that other GCC members offer. You can move St Ignatius to the Solon spot in their place and still only have weeks 1-3 to schedule in football. Plus Lorain hasn't been very good consistently

Id lean towards staying at 7 personally. Move St Ignatius to the later week vacated by Solon leaving. Schedule in weeks 1-3 when everyone is out of conference

The other sports besides football it doesn't matter if you have 7 or 8. I don't know that Lorain adds much
I didn’t know this was a possibility. I like having 8 but agree with the other points. I wouldn’t mind some other wholesale changes and really Try to turn GCC into a premier conference.

I didn’t know this was a possibility. I like having 8 but agree with the other points. I wouldn’t mind some other wholesale changes and really Try to turn GCC into a premier conference.
Appears they are in . Skimmed board meeting to find it and Matt Goul from the PD confirmed

Guess St Ignatius stays in week 2 now.

With Erie McDowell a two year deal, Mentor only has week 1 to figure out for 2025.