Mentor Football 2023

I have been seeing the writing on the wall that 2023 would be step back, possibly even a big step back from the past few seasons (which were in turn, also a big step back from 2017-2019). But I do agree that 2024 has a lot of potential with a lot of the offensive talent being either sophomores or juniors in 2023. Defensively, this is my big concern for 2023. The upcoming senior class hasn't really shown the kind of talent or depth we are used to seeing at Mentor. It is hard to rely on sophomores and juniors (unless their names are Trubisky, Fritts, and Krizancic) to carry you to big playoff wins.

I have been seeing the writing on the wall that 2023 would be step back, possibly even a big step back from the past few seasons (which were in turn, also a big step back from 2017-2019). But I do agree that 2024 has a lot of potential with a lot of the offensive talent being either sophomores or juniors in 2023. Defensively, this is my big concern for 2023. The upcoming senior class hasn't really shown the kind of talent or depth we are used to seeing at Mentor. It is hard to rely on sophomores and juniors (unless their names are Trubisky, Fritts, and Krizancic) to carry you to big playoff wins.
Agree. Defense may have some challenges but they may need to go to an outscore other teams approach as Mentor is used to from past seasons. Fox is the biggest factor there, if he can step up and see the field better , throw his receivers open and start to truly develop into a DI prospect that could go a long way this coming season. 2024 will then just be the finishing touch for this team.

Excellent about the defense. Maybe I'll get some awesome Mentor shootouts. I love those. 65-60 games.

That has been the Mentor philosophy.. the best defense is a good offense. :)
Which is why the DC should have been shown the door over a decade ago...

Let's hope a hire is made that changes this norm along with bringing basic fundamentals that have been lacking for a long long time

Way, way early ranking of these games in terms of difficulty:

Likely losses:
1. St Ignatius
2. Medina

50/50:
3. Cleveland Heights
4. Riverside

Comfortable win:
5. Jackson
6. Solon

Running clock potential:
7. Strongsville
8. Brunswick

Running clock certainty:
9. Shaker
10. Euclid

I think Mentor will be less talented than 2022 and still end up with 8 wins, which is two more than their regular season total from this past season (yes, I know there was a bye). They certainly will enter the season with a lot less experience. St Ignatius and Medina are easily the top two teams on the schedule. Riverside and Heights are tough road games that could go either way. I think Mentor should be clear favorites in the other six.
Riverside 4 lmao.

Too low? They do bring back a lot of their offense from the team that hung 62 on Nordonia in a playoff game. I’m more concerned about Riverside than Jackson or Solon.
Riverside will be tough but they lost a lot of that defense. Those 3 linebackers anchored that package and made them punishing. All three ( Borris, Ryan, Simpson) are gone. Mentor kept that offense out of the endzone all game , that probably won’t be the case in 2023, this game may be a shootout.

Riverside will be tough but they lost a lot of that defense. Those 3 linebackers anchored that package and made them punishing. All three ( Borris, Ryan, Simpson) are gone. Mentor kept that offense out of the endzone all game , that probably won’t be the case in 2023, this game may be a shootout.
Agreed. Both teams were led by defense that day. Both graduate nearly all of their best defensive players.

The Mentor Sports Hall of Fame is inducting a new class this spring and its looking to be a star-studded cast. Congrats to all the inductees!

Coaches:
Nestor Janiak - Football and Basketball
Steve Trivisonno - Football

Athletes:
Brandon Fritts Class of 2014 Football and Basketball
Katie Hine Class of 2003 Basketball and Golf
Kristen Koval Class of 1999 Volleyball
Conner Krizancic Class of 2014 Football and Basketball
Mitchell Trubisky Class of 2013 Football and Basketball

Teams:
1990 volleyball team
2012 Football team
2012-2013 Boys basketball team
2013 Football team

https://mentorathletics.com/2023/01...3-spring-sports-hall-of-fame-class-announced/

Does anyone know any info about the upcoming senior class? Any returning starters on offense/defense, and what impact will the 2024 class have?

Mentor has named Andrew Mooney as their new offensive line coach. Mooney was let go as head coach at NDCL after last season where he was 46-37 as their head coach. Before that, Mooney worked as an assistant with Ohio University for 4 years primarily working with their offensive line. Mooney played tight end at OU and set their single season TD reception record. He played high school football in Lubbock, Texas.
Wondering if this means that Jordan Wilcox becomes the new defensive coordinator. Wilcox was assistant head coach/strength coach/o-line coach last season. He has previously coached Mentor's LBs.

Mentor has named Andrew Mooney as their new offensive line coach. Mooney was let go as head coach at NDCL after last season where he was 46-37 as their head coach. Before that, Mooney worked as an assistant with Ohio University for 4 years primarily working with their offensive line. Mooney played tight end at OU and set their single season TD reception record. He played high school football in Lubbock, Texas.
Wondering if this means that Jordan Wilcox becomes the new defensive coordinator. Wilcox was assistant head coach/strength coach/o-line coach last season. He has previously coached Mentor's LBs.
Could be possible but was really hoping for an external hire at DC.. .

Wilcox hasn't been with Mentor extremely long though so maybe he hasn't had his mind poisoned by Funk. If he operates the same way , no issues will be fixed

Wilcox could possibly go coach linebackers and Decaesar could be the new defensive coordinator
How long has he been there ?

If they promote a Funk clone, may as well have let him stay. Still hoping for external but any internal better have the ability to coach differently and not make the same mistakes every year

I know it doesn't necessarily show on his record, but in my opinion Mooney did a pretty good job at NDCL given the talent they've had over there.

How long has he been there ?

If they promote a Funk clone, may as well have let him stay. Still hoping for external but any internal better have the ability to coach differently and not make the same mistakes every year
Wilcox has been around since the early 2010s and coached linebackers for the majority of his time at Mentor. It would surprise me if he was made DC since he is already assistant head coach, strength & conditioning coach, and a position coach. If they did move in the direction to make him DC, I would hope/expect another coach to be added to take over some or assist in those responsibilities.

Wilcox has been around since the early 2010s and coached linebackers for the majority of his time at Mentor. It would surprise me if he was made DC since he is already assistant head coach, strength & conditioning coach, and a position coach. If they did move in the direction to make him DC, I would hope/expect another coach to be added to take over some or assist in those responsibilities.
He was oline coach last year and they added ex Ndcl HC Mooney to be oline coach

I was wondering how long the other guy has been around on the staff (Decaesar).

I say go external

He was oline coach last year and they added ex Ndcl HC Mooney to be oline coach

I was wondering how long the other guy has been around on the staff (Decaesar).

I say go external
DeCesare came on the staff in 2020 as the WR coach before moving to LBs (he played LB at Iggy and Case). When Ben Gauthier left after 2019, Lino DeSapri replaced him as O-Line coach. DeSapri moved to RB coach and Wilcox moved from LB coach to O-line coach (in addition to strength coach and Asst. Head Coach). Wilcox's father has been an assistant coach at Kirtland for over 40 years.

Do we know the coaching changes overall besides the new oline coach (Ex HC Mooney from NDCL)

Haven't seen news on the new DC or any other moves on that side of the ball

The Mentor Sports Hall of Fame is inducting a new class this spring and its looking to be a star-studded cast. Congrats to all the inductees!

Coaches:
Nestor Janiak - Football and Basketball
Steve Trivisonno - Football

Athletes:
Brandon Fritts Class of 2014 Football and Basketball
Katie Hine Class of 2003 Basketball and Golf
Kristen Koval Class of 1999 Volleyball
Conner Krizancic Class of 2014 Football and Basketball
Mitchell Trubisky Class of 2013 Football and Basketball

Teams:
1990 volleyball team
2012 Football team
2012-2013 Boys basketball team
2013 Football team

https://mentorathletics.com/2023/01...3-spring-sports-hall-of-fame-class-announced/
These groups of individuals and teams were inducted last night. Certainly, the most special HOF class ever at Mentor. The 12 month period from 2012 to 2013 saw a Mr Basketball (Justin Fritts), Mr Football (Trubisky), and a basketball state championship (2013). While neither of the football teams won a state title, those back to to back seasons were a lot of fun. The 2012 games against St Eds and St Ignatius were legendary wins. The 2013 season was possibly the best offense in team history and it resulted in a state runner-up.

Inducting Triv with this group only further enhanced the impact of this group. Legendary QB coach Janiak helped mold so many amazing QB’s during his time. Well deserved.

Individuals like Trubisky, Conner Krizancic, and Brandon Fritts are three of the best overall athletes in Mentor history. Along with current minor league pitcher Kade McClure, there must’ve been something in the water around that time.

Do we know the coaching changes overall besides the new oline coach (Ex HC Mooney from NDCL)

Haven't seen news on the new DC or any other moves on that side of the ball
DeCeasar will be the DC. Challenge is always a public school can only offer so much to externals. You need either youth or someone retired. Solid DC’s 20 years in that are teachers in other districts can’t keep that tenure if the move schools. Makes it hard. Not like St Ed’s where Lombardo teaches one class, drives a school owned Audi and makes 100k+ a year. Lol.

DeCeasar will be the DC. Challenge is always a public school can only offer so much to externals. You need either youth or someone retired. Solid DC’s 20 years in that are teachers in other districts can’t keep that tenure if the move schools. Makes it hard. Not like St Ed’s where Lombardo teaches one class, drives a school owned Audi and makes 100k+ a year. Lol.
Right and I get that. Is this confirmed then? If so will Wilcox stay on staff and what role?

What happened to the battle of the birds with Mentor taking on my Eagles? Hope the schools can work something out, many classic games between these schools!