Mentor Football 2023

cardzfan1234

I have been seeing the writing on the wall that 2023 would be step back, possibly even a big step back from the past few seasons (which were in turn, also a big step back from 2017-2019). But I do agree that 2024 has a lot of potential with a lot of the offensive talent being either sophomores or juniors in 2023. Defensively, this is my big concern for 2023. The upcoming senior class hasn't really shown the kind of talent or depth we are used to seeing at Mentor. It is hard to rely on sophomores and juniors (unless their names are Trubisky, Fritts, and Krizancic) to carry you to big playoff wins.

UnDone

I have been seeing the writing on the wall that 2023 would be step back, possibly even a big step back from the past few seasons (which were in turn, also a big step back from 2017-2019). But I do agree that 2024 has a lot of potential with a lot of the offensive talent being either sophomores or juniors in 2023. Defensively, this is my big concern for 2023. The upcoming senior class hasn't really shown the kind of talent or depth we are used to seeing at Mentor. It is hard to rely on sophomores and juniors (unless their names are Trubisky, Fritts, and Krizancic) to carry you to big playoff wins.
Agree. Defense may have some challenges but they may need to go to an outscore other teams approach as Mentor is used to from past seasons. Fox is the biggest factor there, if he can step up and see the field better , throw his receivers open and start to truly develop into a DI prospect that could go a long way this coming season. 2024 will then just be the finishing touch for this team.

bkmk1

Excellent about the defense. Maybe I'll get some awesome Mentor shootouts. I love those. 65-60 games.

MentorGrad2002

That has been the Mentor philosophy.. the best defense is a good offense. :)
Which is why the DC should have been shown the door over a decade ago...

Let's hope a hire is made that changes this norm along with bringing basic fundamentals that have been lacking for a long long time

brian1227

Way, way early ranking of these games in terms of difficulty:

Likely losses:
1. St Ignatius
2. Medina

50/50:
3. Cleveland Heights
4. Riverside

Comfortable win:
5. Jackson
6. Solon

Running clock potential:
7. Strongsville
8. Brunswick

Running clock certainty:
9. Shaker
10. Euclid

I think Mentor will be less talented than 2022 and still end up with 8 wins, which is two more than their regular season total from this past season (yes, I know there was a bye). They certainly will enter the season with a lot less experience. St Ignatius and Medina are easily the top two teams on the schedule. Riverside and Heights are tough road games that could go either way. I think Mentor should be clear favorites in the other six.
Riverside 4 lmao.

UnDone

Too low? They do bring back a lot of their offense from the team that hung 62 on Nordonia in a playoff game. I’m more concerned about Riverside than Jackson or Solon.
Riverside will be tough but they lost a lot of that defense. Those 3 linebackers anchored that package and made them punishing. All three ( Borris, Ryan, Simpson) are gone. Mentor kept that offense out of the endzone all game , that probably won’t be the case in 2023, this game may be a shootout.

cardzfan1234

Riverside will be tough but they lost a lot of that defense. Those 3 linebackers anchored that package and made them punishing. All three ( Borris, Ryan, Simpson) are gone. Mentor kept that offense out of the endzone all game , that probably won’t be the case in 2023, this game may be a shootout.
Agreed. Both teams were led by defense that day. Both graduate nearly all of their best defensive players.

MentorMarsh01

The Mentor Sports Hall of Fame is inducting a new class this spring and its looking to be a star-studded cast. Congrats to all the inductees!

Coaches:
Nestor Janiak - Football and Basketball
Steve Trivisonno - Football

Athletes:
Brandon Fritts Class of 2014 Football and Basketball
Katie Hine Class of 2003 Basketball and Golf
Kristen Koval Class of 1999 Volleyball
Conner Krizancic Class of 2014 Football and Basketball
Mitchell Trubisky Class of 2013 Football and Basketball

Teams:
1990 volleyball team
2012 Football team
2012-2013 Boys basketball team
2013 Football team

https://mentorathletics.com/2023/01...3-spring-sports-hall-of-fame-class-announced/

cardzfan97

Does anyone know any info about the upcoming senior class? Any returning starters on offense/defense, and what impact will the 2024 class have?