McSurley out at Clinton Massie

I could be wrong on this but just something I thought of. Massie can’t offer Dan full time salary due to the reduction in force and I know that compensation has been thrown around a lot. I think one problem too is I believe teachers even if retired, don’t get medical insurance until they reach 65. I could be wrong and someone familiar with STRS might know more. Losing that salary + insurance would be a headache.

I’ve had family graduate from massie and I’ve been a fan from a distance for over a decade now and enjoy going to games, it is such a great atmosphere. I hope they are able to keep him.
It is my understanding that insurance is available to STRS retirees at what would be considered a competitive rate at least until they achieve eligibility for Medicare, maybe even after. The problem is that additional coverage for spouses or dependents is quite expensive.

I guess that inspection/maintenance is why some turf fields last longer and stay nicer than others?

I've never seen a side by side comparison for turf vs grass in terms of cost over the 10-15 years that a field can last. I assume grass is cheaper, but turf is WAY less work and provides a consistent surface for soccer, football, etc.

I have read the studies coming out about turf and injuries- most are soccer/knee injury related or head injury in all sports. I don't know that there's a study out that compares football knee injuries on turf and on grass.

I can tell you that the footwear has changed drastically. Today's cleats are almost all designed to be on turf and they have more spikes, nubs, points, etc than anything I ever wore. I wore screw-ins on turf/grass, never had an issue with traction but I think the increased surface area that modern cleats have might have something to do with the amount of injuries.

Tackling is also taught differently. To avoid head injuries, football has gone more to the Rugby style tackle, but that also promotes the "gator roll"- another reason why lower body injuries have probably increased.
This has been a big difference I've noticed too. It's almost impossible to find screw in cleats anymore. My son just graduated last year, and he was the only person on his team with the screw in cleats. When it was grass, he wore metal tip and plastic for the few turf games. Seemed more cost effective to me; cleat wears down, you replace it instead of having to buy a whole new shoe.

This has been a big difference I've noticed too. It's almost impossible to find screw in cleats anymore. My son just graduated last year, and he was the only person on his team with the screw in cleats. When it was grass, he wore metal tip and plastic for the few turf games. Seemed more cost effective to me; cleat wears down, you replace it instead of having to buy a whole new shoe.
I loved screw in cleats back in the day! They were by far the best to wear playing in the trenches, didn't matter if it was turf or grass.

I could be wrong on this but just something I thought of. Massie can’t offer Dan full time salary due to the reduction in force and I know that compensation has been thrown around a lot. I think one problem too is I believe teachers even if retired, don’t get medical insurance until they reach 65. I could be wrong and someone familiar with STRS might know more. Losing that salary + insurance would be a headache.

I’ve had family graduate from massie and I’ve been a fan from a distance for over a decade now and enjoy going to games, it is such a great atmosphere. I hope they are able to keep him.
This is for certain not the case. My dad just retired from teaching at 59 and is receiving medical insurance from STRS.

I loved screw in cleats back in the day! They were by far the best to wear playing in the trenches, didn't matter if it was turf or grass.
I just loved that variability of the screw in cleats. Mud game? Long cleats. Soccer Grass? Short cleats. I just carried two sets around in my bag and could swap out the tips after I got a chance to check field conditions.

Triple Option, well said, however call it like it is "pure greed". The land barons driving around in their 100,000$ trucks and their 1,000,000$ combines allow that district to become impoverished. A buddy of my told me yesterday the track is even to dangerous to have a season. Pretty sad state of affair at that district.
I do at least want to point out that one is a status symbol and the other is a machine used to make a living.

This is for certain not the case. My dad just retired from teaching at 59 and is receiving medical insurance from STRS.
Gotcha! I have friends who have retired from teaching through STRS and they gripe a lot about it and they’ve made it seem like they don’t have full insurance until 65. Thank you for clarifying

Gotcha! I have friends who have retired from teaching through STRS and they gripe a lot about it and they’ve made it seem like they don’t have full insurance until 65. Thank you for clarifying
As someone above pointed out, insuring family is very expensive through STRS.

The BOE/Former Super are to blame for not having any sort of plan to replace the turf/track.

I've been told its simply falling a part. The rubber surface is coming off in chunks. I do not believe they have host meets for 1-2 seasons.
I have been told the same thing as well; that the track is in such disrepair, they can't host any home meets until the track gets resurfaced.

I’m surprised that there is no entity or governing body that is charged with making sure young student athletes are playing in safe conditions. I’m also surprised that visiting teams have not made an issue of it. But….. at the end of the day the community needs to step up and pass levies when they are needed. 1 levy in 30 years seems like there is little interest from the community in providing the money needed to run a school district.
Does CM still have a branch of the Clinton County Library on the site of the school? That was the only school I had ever seen that had a public library for the community to use located on school property. One would think that a school having daily interaction with the community would be able to garner more support from them.

What is the new Athletic Director doing to help with facility upgrades? He was specifically hired by the BOE/OLD SUP to find major sponsors and set up fundraising for the new outdoor facilities…… Haven’t seen any of that…. All he wants to do is pawn off all of his duties on other people so he can just lay low and collect 86,000 per year…If Massie was smart I would cut his job and have a teacher do half time AD/Teacher. I think they need to strongly look at his position to make sure he is the right guy to get these “athletic” facilities upgraded!

Does CM still have a branch of the Clinton County Library on the site of the school? That was the only school I had ever seen that had a public library for the community to use located on school property. One would think that a school having daily interaction with the community would be able to garner more support from them.
I believe they also have an urgent care/health clinic on their campus as well.

I heard they just brought back their Athletic Boosters club. Assuming this is one of many things they are trying to do. The AD did post a plan not long ago detailing sponsorship plans/tiers. Even offering stadium naming rights, etc. I’m assuming that hasn’t made much progress given the recent state of affairs.

I heard they just brought back their Athletic Boosters club. Assuming this is one of many things they are trying to do. The AD did post a plan not long ago detailing sponsorship plans/tiers. Even offering stadium naming rights, etc. I’m assuming that hasn’t made much progress given the recent state of affairs.
You mean the “4th Quarter Drive” he just slapped some BS slide show together just to appease the district… As a tax payer to the district I need to see him do more before I vote yes!

What is the new Athletic Director doing to help with facility upgrades? He was specifically hired by the BOE/OLD SUP to find major sponsors and set up fundraising for the new outdoor facilities…… Haven’t seen any of that…. All he wants to do is pawn off all of his duties on other people so he can just lay low and collect 86,000 per year…If Massie was smart I would cut his job and have a teacher do half time AD/Teacher. I think they need to strongly look at his position to make sure he is the right guy to get these “athletic” facilities upgraded!
Half teacher and half Athletic director is a terrible idea. Kids will suffer. There simply is not enough time to do both jobs well or anywhere close to it.

I have no idea if the AD is doing his part to get sponsors or not..... what I do question is what sponsors do you expect at Clinton Massie? It's a small, rural school and there's not exactly a plethora of large businesses to choose from to garner sponsors large enough to replace track and turf. It sounds like an impossible task to me.

Half teacher and half Athletic director is a terrible idea. Kids will suffer. There simply is not enough time to do both jobs well or anywhere close to it.

I have no idea if the AD is doing his part to get sponsors or not..... what I do question is what sponsors do you expect at Clinton Massie? It's a small, rural school and there's not exactly a plethora of large businesses to choose from to garner sponsors large enough to replace track and turf. It sounds like an impossible task to me.
I can see it now, The Cesar's Creek Flea Market Track & Field!!! :LOL:

I have no idea if the AD is doing his part to get sponsors or not..... what I do question is what sponsors do you expect at Clinton Massie? It's a small, rural school and there's not exactly a plethora of large businesses to choose from to garner sponsors large enough to replace track and turf. It sounds like an impossible task to me
If the AD was a go-getter maybe we would be making some headway. Paying the guy 86,000 to do what?

If the AD was a go-getter maybe we would be making some headway. Paying the guy 86,000 to do what?
I'm not disputing if he's doing his job or not..... I have nothing to go by.

But what sponsors do you want? What businesses are going to come up with 600 thousand plus for new turf and track resurfacing?

Dang, you must really have an ax to grind with the AD. I’d like to see anyone come in and find some sponsorship money. Can’t make chicken salad out of chicken . Not his fault the facilities are what they are. The leadership of the district needs to develop a plan and an idea and a timeline. I’m talking about leadership above the AD.

I'm not disputing if he's doing his job or not..... I have nothing to go by.

But what sponsors do you want? What businesses are going to come up with 600 thousand plus for new turf and track resurfacing?
That’s why we hired him!!! It was stated in the Wilmington News Journal his number one job would be to fundraise and find sponsors for the outdoor facilities… Year two on the job and I’m not seeing progress.. Is what it is I guess..

If it seems like I’m picking on you lately, I apologize, but you have a way of making definitive statements that I disagree with. Many schools have part-time ADs that also teach part of a day, and it works wonderfully.

That’s why we hired him!!! It was stated in the Wilmington News Journal his number one job would be to fundraise and find sponsors for the outdoor facilities… Year two on the job and I’m not seeing progress.. Is what it is I guess..
Gotcha. If he's not getting it done, then absolutely be upset.

Was he charged with an impossible task I question? I only ask that because if the community has only passed 1 levy in 30 years, I can't imagine they'd be willing to open up their wallets for sponsorships.

As an outsider, I'm just curious..... not too overly familiar with Clinton Massie except it's in the middle of nowhere, and I like watching their brand of football.

If it seems like I’m picking on you lately, I apologize, but you have a way of making definitive statements that I disagree with. Many schools have part-time ADs that also teach part of a day, and it works wonderfully.
No need to apologize.... civil disagreement is a fundamental aspect of what this country is built on.

This just isn't something that happens in the Cincy area. Many schools have more than 1 assistant AD because the job is so involved. Where does this work well? I'd be interested to see how they can juggle their classroom duties and the intricacies of athletic director without one or the other being mediocre at best. And I have a feeling in most cases, it's the classroom duties that would suffer first.

No need to apologize.... civil disagreement is a fundamental aspect of what this country is built on.

This just isn't something that happens in the Cincy area. Many schools have more than 1 assistant AD because the job is so involved. Where does this work well? I'd be interested to see how they can juggle their classroom duties and the intricacies of athletic director without one or the other being mediocre at best. And I have a feeling in most cases, it's the classroom duties that would suffer first.
Granted, they are smaller schools, but several MAC schools do this successfully. You’ve got to have the right AD, though.

R & L Carriers would be my first stop.

You mean the “4th Quarter Drive” he just slapped some BS slide show together just to appease the district… As a tax payer to the district I need to see him do more before I vote yes!
You probably have no idea what an AD does on a daily basis.
As a tax payer, you should do your homework and should have been appalled at the master plan the previous Super and some current BOE members supported. That cost the district somewhere around $40k to put together and they were seeking 10+ Million to build a whole need outdoor facility.
Then going to blame the new guy that he hasn’t produced new facilities in 1.5 years? That’s outrageous.
If you look around the athletic facilities, he has more than doubled the amount of sponsors that are there and was just named the #2 school in SW Ohio for revenue through Hudl TV (posted on social media).
He has a really solid group of boosters coming in to help the process, but who in the world is gonna pay 2+ million out of their pocket to redo the facilities? I don’t think there’s a business in the district that could even offer 1/10th of that.
All these schools who get their fields or stadiums big sponsorships are very fortunate- but you generally have to have something to offer that business or they have a deep connection with that community. I know about as many CM alum as anyone and I don’t know anyone who fits that mold.
You can rent your field to outside soccer clubs or charge your youth programs a fee but that is minuscule and won’t come close to funding what is needed.

Most big schools in the SBAAC have a full time AD and an Asst.
They may be labeled Asst Principal with that, but they usually handle a couple evaluations, maybe some bus duty but nothing crazy.