Maxpreps RPI to be used for Basketball Seeding

Do schools have to wait until 11/3 to begin tryouts or are some starting soon with the idea teams are picked and you can hit the ground running on 11/3?

Do schools have to wait until 11/3 to begin tryouts or are some starting soon with the idea teams are picked and you can hit the ground running on 11/3?
The way I understood it was that no instruction could take place until 11/3 other than those 3-man workouts (used to be 4-man but the rule changed recently).

I’m guessing most coaches have made their assessments by then through open gyms and workouts and stuff, which are technically optional. But I think officially no tryouts can take place until 11/3 this year.

The way I understood it was that no instruction could take place until 11/3 other than those 3-man workouts (used to be 4-man but the rule changed recently).

I’m guessing most coaches have made their assessments by then through open gyms and workouts and stuff, which are technically optional. But I think officially no tryouts can take place until 11/3 this year.
Most programs already know who is on the team. Some up in the air players from football sometimes. Most teams have a general idea and have implemented some of their system with the guys that are there.

I understand MaxPreps is meeting with OHSBCA leadership today to lay out the details. With OHSAA board meeting on Thursday, should be getting more info by the end of the week. Will be interesting what the business rules are.

I understand MaxPreps is meeting with OHSBCA leadership today to lay out the details. With OHSAA board meeting on Thursday, should be getting more info by the end of the week. Will be interesting what the business rules are.
Saw a couple tweets and was trying to zoom in and read the slides 😜

My school's girls coach told me a few months ago that more divisions are absolutely under consideration. I could maybe get on board with a "super" D1 that is sort of like the way football is structured now, but I wouldn't take it any further than that.

To be fair there are quotes in the article supporting the RPI, but I loved these the most:

"I would rather allow the coaches to vote," Bedingfield said. "There is something to be said when other coaches rank your teams higher or lower, and you felt like you had something to prove or protect. I enjoy the human element of March."

“The only thing I don’t like is I don’t feel like it rewards strength of schedule,” Huron boys coach Toby Miller said. “It’s just wins. There’s no incentive to schedule anyone good.”

Columbian boys coach Travis Kinn added: “Coaches probably understand that a quality loss by 3 or 4 to a really, really good team means a little bit more in person than it does to the RPI.”

To be fair there are quotes in the article supporting the RPI, but I loved these the most:

"I would rather allow the coaches to vote," Bedingfield said. "There is something to be said when other coaches rank your teams higher or lower, and you felt like you had something to prove or protect. I enjoy the human element of March."

“The only thing I don’t like is I don’t feel like it rewards strength of schedule,” Huron boys coach Toby Miller said. “It’s just wins. There’s no incentive to schedule anyone good.”

Columbian boys coach Travis Kinn added: “Coaches probably understand that a quality loss by 3 or 4 to a really, really good team means a little bit more in person than it does to the RPI.”
To be fair the first quote is from a Coach that benefited last season from playing a tough schedule and had 8 losses. His team may have been seeded lower with a coach vote.

Second quote is a first year high school coach so he has yet to experience anything as a head coach.

Third coach has a lot of losses on his career record and may have experience in this area. But he is correct to say credit could be received in playing a good team well instead of being beat by 25. But in the RPI you do get credit for playing a team with a good record regardless.

Perfect system? NO
Unbiased system? YES
Can it be improved as flaws are seen? YES

To be fair the first quote is from a Coach that benefited last season from playing a tough schedule and had 8 losses. His team may have been seeded lower with a coach vote.

Second quote is a first year high school coach so he has yet to experience anything as a head coach.

Third coach has a lot of losses on his career record and may have experience in this area. But he is correct to say credit could be received in playing a good team well instead of being beat by 25. But in the RPI you do get credit for playing a team with a good record regardless.

Perfect system? NO
Unbiased system? YES
Can it be improved as flaws are seen? YES
Regardless of their win-loss record or experience, I agree with their reasoning 100%.

I also agree with your closing three Q&As. I would argue that in my experience perceived "bias" is just different opinions, but acknowledge bias in voting may exist in other parts of the state

Regardless of their win-loss record or experience, I agree with their reasoning 100%.

I also agree with your closing three Q&As. I would argue that in my experience perceived "bias" is just different opinions, but acknowledge bias in voting may exist in other parts of the state
I wont say there reasoning is incorrect but like you said, there were a lot of quotes in the article and you picked the ones you liked. And so did the writer.
It would not surprise me if many coaches agreed with those comments but would also say they saw the bias in voting and the human factor where coaches made personal votes. Which was indicated by one quote you did not use.
I would take a guess that you are a huge fan but not a coach. I have talked to coaches in your SWO area that have claimed to have seen or been a factor of bias in voting. Don't kid yourself that it hasn't happened in ALL parts of the state. But I think we have already covered that.

So, are we going to have a standard bracket or will coaches based on the seeding be able to put there team in a certain bracket?

I wont say there reasoning is incorrect but like you said, there were a lot of quotes in the article and you picked the ones you liked. And so did the writer.
It would not surprise me if many coaches agreed with those comments but would also say they saw the bias in voting and the human factor where coaches made personal votes. Which was indicated by one quote you did not use.
I would take a guess that you are a huge fan but not a coach. I have talked to coaches in your SWO area that have claimed to have seen or been a factor of bias in voting. Don't kid yourself that it hasn't happened in ALL parts of the state. But I think we have already covered that.
I've probably been in the room for 25+ seed meetings in SWO, don't remember many clear bias situations. Do remember a lot of coaches with their egos hurt because another coach didn't think their team was as good as they thought it was.

Regardless, we press on with the new process, can only hope MaxPreps is much more reliable than years past.

I've probably been in the room for 25+ seed meetings in SWO, don't remember many clear bias situations. Do remember a lot of coaches with their egos hurt because another coach didn't think their team was as good as they thought it was.
That is what is being talked about and why changes are being made. They voted on this, not media/fans.

That is what is being talked about and why changes are being made. They voted on this, not media/fans.
Completely agree, the deciding "they" was district reps and the vote was 6-2 and it became the law of the land. Everyone like me that isn't a fan just has to get used to it.

But don't forget when I talk about SWO, the 2 "nos" were from the two reps from SWO who received input from coaches/ADs in SWO before voting.

Completely agree, the deciding "they" was district reps and the vote was 6-2 and it became the law of the land. Everyone like me that isn't a fan just has to get used to it.

But don't forget when I talk about SWO, the 2 "nos" were from the two reps from SWO who received input from coaches/ADs in SWO before voting.
I do know where the votes came from but do not forget that the rep votes do not represent 100% of their coaches they voted for.

Completely agree that is the case in all of Ohio, whether they voted yes or no
Absolutely true. One thing we can all like, is that the majority of the coaches in all areas across the state were looking for a change. There are 16 boys district reps and 8 district girls reps across the state of Ohio in the OHSBCA.

Absolutely true. One thing we can all like, is that the majority of the coaches in all areas across the state were looking for a change. There are 16 boys district reps and 8 district girls reps across the state of Ohio in the OHSBCA.
Unless the two SWDAB reps voted in conflict with their constituents (hint: they didn't), this is clearly a false statement. Change "all" to "most" and you are spot on.

The votes against it in the OHSBCA also came from SWO

Unless the two SWDAB reps voted in conflict with their constituents (hint: they didn't), this is clearly a false statement. Change "all" to "most" and you are spot on.

The votes against it in the OHSBCA also came from SWO
The result represents the majority vote of the total coaches from all areas.

I still think that they should have used MartinRPI. He did a great job last year and should have earned the right to continue doing it officially for the whole state.

Regardless, we press on with the new process, can only hope MaxPreps is much more reliable than years past.
there's going to be mandatory score reporting in essence, I would imagine.

there's going to be mandatory score reporting in essence, I would imagine.
"MaxPreps has several stat partners to aid in score collection and the OHSAA can check scores daily to see which games are missing results. MaxPreps also can monitor accounts so school participation can be tracked. It will be easy to identify schools not participating."

This is in the email to coaches/ADs from the OHSAA. I guess we will just have to trust them that they have someone checking, but no mention of what happens if you don't do it.

"MaxPreps has several stat partners to aid in score collection and the OHSAA can check scores daily to see which games are missing results. MaxPreps also can monitor accounts so school participation can be tracked. It will be easy to identify schools not participating."

This is in the email to coaches/ADs from the OHSAA. I guess we will just have to trust them that they have someone checking, but no mention of what happens if you don't do it.
"Essentially, only one school needs to report the score into MaxPreps, but we recommend each school check scores daily to see which games are missing results. MaxPreps can also monitor accounts so school participation can be tracked for those not entering results. If this becomes required, it will be easy to identify schools not participating and the OHSAA may administer fines."

That may answer your question to some extent. Personally not a fan of the RPI whether it's Martin or MaxPreps. Probably in the minority, but my preference from what I've seen so far is MaxPreps.

"Essentially, only one school needs to report the score into MaxPreps, but we recommend each school check scores daily to see which games are missing results. MaxPreps can also monitor accounts so school participation can be tracked for those not entering results. If this becomes required, it will be easy to identify schools not participating and the OHSAA may administer fines."

That may answer your question to some extent. Personally not a fan of the RPI whether it's Martin or MaxPreps. Probably in the minority, but my preference from what I've seen so far is MaxPreps.
Personally I hate using anything but coaches vote for seeding, so we can be friends :)

If I had to choose one of the RPIs I go with Martin because he is putting his name on it and is the one responsible for every score entered correctly. And I genuinely feel bad for him since the OHSAA used his tool as a way to get their partner into the seeding business.

"Where will the RPI standings be published?
The official OHSAA RPI standings will be published on OHSAA.org. It is worth noting that any RPI data published elsewhere is unofficial and should be viewed with skepticism as it may not be correct."

Missed this earlier in the OHSAA RPI FAQ. Not only did they not use Martin, they tried to cast doubt on his RPI in case he keeps doing it.

"Where will the RPI standings be published?
The official OHSAA RPI standings will be published on OHSAA.org. It is worth noting that any RPI data published elsewhere is unofficial and should be viewed with skepticism as it may not be correct."

Missed this earlier in the OHSAA RPI FAQ. Not only did they not use Martin, they tried to cast doubt on his RPI in case he keeps doing it.
That is a little strange. Probably worried that MaxPreps will continue publishing RPI data with new scores after the official RPI is posted. It will be confusing if there are some late-season wins and losses that could significantly change the RPI.

I also would have liked to see them thank MartinRPI for all his hard work the previous season.