Maumee Bay Classic

OnTheBay

Maumee Bay Classic Jan. 13-14
Friday: 10:00am-7:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am-4pm

Should be an exciting tournament with 54 Ohio teams and 3 Michigan teams. The field of teams is as follows.

ANDERSON
ANTHONY WAYNE
ARCHBOLD
ASHLAND
AVON LAKE
AYERSVILLE
BEREA-MIDPARK
BRIGHTON (MI)
BUCKEYE (MEDINA)
CENTRAL CROSSING
CLAY
COLUMBIAN (TIFFIN)
CVCA
EDISON
ELYRIA
FAIRLESS
FINDLAY
FIRELANDS
FREMONT ROSS
GALION
JACKSON (Massillon)
KETTERING FAIRMONT
LAKE (MILLBURY)
LEBANON
LOUISVILLE
LOVELAND
MADISON
MARYSVILLE
MASSILON WASHINGTON
MEDINA
MONROEVILLE
MOUNT VERNON
NEWARK
NORTHRIDGE (JOHNSTOWN)
NORTHVIEW
OAK HARBOR
OAK HILLS
OLENTANGY ORANGE
PATRICK HENRY
PERRY
PERRYSBURG
PICKERINGTON CENTRAL
PORT CLINTON
RIVER VALLEY (BIDWELL)
SANDUSKY
SOLON
SOUTHVIEW
SPRINGBORO
St. FRANCIS
SWARTZ CREEK (MI)
TINORA
UNIONTOWN LAKE
VERMILLION
WADSWORTH
WAUSEON
WHITMER
WOODS TOWER (WARREN, MI)

With all the Ohio teams having tough wrestlers involving all three divisions it will be interesting to see how they seed. Interested to see how they separate the top 3 seeds in some of these weight classes.

From what I hear it is supposed to seed by strictly Brecksville in Iron Man placement at least that’s what our coach said they are not doing any type of Districk/state placement for seeding or records so to be seeded here will be crazy!!!!

From what I hear it is supposed to seed by strictly Brecksville in Iron Man placement at least that’s what our coach said they are not doing any type of Districk/state placement for seeding or records so to be seeded here will be crazy!!!!
So, you're saying that if a wrester didn't wrestle at either Iron Man or Brecksville that they couldn't be seeded? Ridiculous?

Thats not true... seeding criteria is as follows
1. State Place 2022
2. Ironman Place 2022
3. State Place 2021
4. District Place 2022
5. Holiday Place (GMVWA MEDINA BRECKSVILLE ONLY)
6. Maumee Bay 2022 place
7. District Place 2021
8. Winning %

This looks like a fantastic tournament. Has it always been this competitive?
Used to go to this tournament in HS and it was always very tough. Seems like its only gotten tougher since then. Every year it seems like State qualifiers and sometimes even state placers can't even crack the podium here!

Thats not true... seeding criteria is as follows
1. State Place 2022
2. Ironman Place 2022
3. State Place 2021
4. District Place 2022
5. Holiday Place (GMVWA MEDINA BRECKSVILLE ONLY)
6. Maumee Bay 2022 place
7. District Place 2021
8. Winning %
Ok so maybe our coach told wrong he just said unfortunately none of our kids will seed here cause they are only seeding on Ironman and brecksville!! I’m glad he’s wrong cause that would make a ton of kids that should be on different ends could end up being on the same!!! Thanks for clarifying!!

Here is the link to the seeding criteria for this tournament

FWIW, when seeds come out on Thursday, please post the link. Thanks!

Just saw on trackwrestling that coaches have a deadline of 10:00 pm Thursday to submit seeding criteria. Seems late, would have expected more like 3:00.

Last edited:
Thanks to Borofan for the write up. So many great match ups. Hard to predict several weights, unless it is a Blaze.
Neitenbach is on fire this year (like his team) recently bumping up to 190 for the Gorman and beat #3 Max Ray in a tight OT finals match.
I haven't seen Liber or DeLano wrestle. Who do you got at 190?

From Borofan:
Division 1
2. Andrew Liber (Toledo St. Francis) Senior

Division 2
2. Edward Neitenbach (Medina Buckeye) Junior
3. Max Ray (Tiffin Columbian) Senior

Division 3
1. Abe DeLano (Ayersville) Junior

From Borofan:
Division 1
2. Andrew Liber (Toledo St. Francis) Senior

Division 2
2. Edward Neitenbach (Medina Buckeye) Junior
3. Max Ray (Tiffin Columbian) Senior

Division 3
1. Abe DeLano (Ayersville) Junior
Pretty impressive weight class. Wondering if you might be missing someone.

From what I saw at the JC Gorman finals Ray was winning the match then Neitenbach came on strong late then won it it OT. Kudos to Neitenbach, but Ray can flip that result.
Who do I got winning 190? Somebody in your list. Neitenbach because it looks like he has another gear he uses in case of emergency.
All I know is that I’ve never seen this tournament stacked with hammers across all weights like this before.
What other weights do you guys think is a tossup?

Denkins is the obvious favorite but im really interested in 150, especially if brodie dominique doesnt go down to 144 yet.

Also just saw this event is gonna be on flow!

And I apologize to keep asking questions lol it just takes me to the track page. Where do I see the criteria? That way I can show the other parents?
click the link. Click Events, click Search events, under search event name type in Maumee. Should be the top one on the list. enter event. Click on Information then click on Seeding Criteria.

@190 I would say this comes down to Liber, Neitenbach and Ray. The Neitenbach / Ray match went to ot at Gorman, however there were 2 stoppages where Ray was in on shots that could’ve kept the match from going to ot possibly. That match could very well go to Ray, that’s a great matchup again that could very well happen again this weekend. I don’t think Borofan has the best matchup correct at this weight, Delano loses to all three of the aforementioned in this weight class in my opinion, take that for what it’s worth just my opinion, pretty sure Liber beat him last year by TF. This isn’t even including Grimm who will also be in the mix as a top 4 returning state placer. Should make for some great matches between them that I’m looking fwd to watching.

Not to say there won't be some high-quality wrestling from the quarters to the finals but having 57-58 teams is rather deceiving. 106 and 113 will only have 36/33 wrestlers respectively. The most participants would be found at 132 (47) and 157 (45). Not sure if it's attributed to a large number of Div 3 programs. Regardless, I see that many of the wrestlers representing the Div 3 programs are true hammers.

Not to say there won't be some high-quality wrestling from the quarters to the finals but having 57-58 teams is rather deceiving. 106 and 113 will only have 36/33 wrestlers respectively. The most participants would be found at 132 (47) and 157 (45). Not sure if it's attributed to a large number of Div 3 programs. Regardless, I see that many of the wrestlers representing the Div 3 programs are true hammers.
Some teams are bringing partial lineups. Not unusual. The average is 40 wrestlers per weight which is a big increase from previous years. 2022 & 2020 averaged around 30 per weight. Going to be a great event!

Last edited:
Some teams are bringing partial lineups. Not unusual. The average is 40 wrestlers per weight which is a big increase from previous years. 2022 & 2020 averaged around 30 per weight. Going to be a great event!
I have to say the competition will be a couple of degrees stronger than the Top Gun. I don't think I've ever seen a weaker Dies tournament.