Matisi Out

"Thanks for rebuilding our program, now there's the door".

Sounds like politics and loud mouth parents won out. Obviously looking at his record, it's crazy to think that this was based off of production. The school board, parents, etc. must have had some sort of agenda. Probably some big shot who is in the ear of some important people. Hope the school realizes how absolutely silly they look with this move.

You have to feel for this veteran coach, like he said--it would have been nice for them not to wait this long. Probably going to be tough to find a head coaching job at this point. Wish him all the best, coaches of this caliber won't be waiting too long for that next opportunity.

Heard it had to do with his program development. Sounds like a poor excuse when he has been so successful for five years at the school. So they hired him to elevate the program and now they fire him to sink the program:dang::shrug::confused::mad::wallbang:

Program development? Crazy considering the Jr High finished high in their respective leagues, competing among division 2 schools. Then you add in six years of success. Sounds like board politics.

Last edited:
Next head coach would be crazy not to ask what the expectations are? Apparently treating the girls great and winning are not on the list. Bad bad precedents are being set everywhere. Coaching is becoming more and more pointless.

I agree Buckeye. I think this move looks really bad for South Range. Why would a successful coach even come to SR when Matisi was the best coach they ever had, and they let him go. I will be curious to see who is going to apply for this coaching position.

I have to guess that South Range probably has someone in mind, maybe someone in the school system already. I wouldn't be surprised by much from their school board.

Moschella would be hilarious

It's crazy that it was in the best interest of the school and the athletes to move on from this staff, yet they still haven't hired anyone. Obviously the board doesn't prioritize the girls basketball program at all if they didn't have a plan or a replacement in mind. The school district should be outraged that the board and agendas have left them in this position. I feel for the young women in this because this is a talented group that is missing out on important time. The board and administration look absolutely silly at this point.

It's crazy that it was in the best interest of the school and the athletes to move on from this staff, yet they still haven't hired anyone. Obviously the board doesn't prioritize the girls basketball program at all if they didn't have a plan or a replacement in mind. The school district should be outraged that the board and agendas have left them in this position. I feel for the young women in this because this is a talented group that is missing out on important time. The board and administration look absolutely silly at this point.

The longer this plays out it becomes more obvious the decision to remove Matisi as coach was made totally on a personal level and not a professional one. If a professional decision was made his replacement would have been named before the coaching period began on June 1.

The longer this plays out it becomes more obvious the decision to remove Matisi as coach was made totally on a personal level and not a professional one. If a professional decision was made his replacement would have been named before the coaching period began on June 1.

One of the rumored reasons for being let go was that “program development” was lacking (invalid reason in itself due to success of lower grade levels). Board looks like idiots if Program development is a concern and it’s the second week of June and they don’t have a coach..which means no summer program. Where’s the program development now? Coach matisi consistently had his players in for June practice and summer leagues as well as shootouts.

Not sure if he would want to drive that far, but he would make a good candidate for the McKinley Job. A proven winner.