Marty Brennaman to retire

For a high percentage of Reds fans, he's the only radio broadcaster we've known for the club. He'll be missed.

Marty will be missed. Most won't remember, but before Marty I remember Al Michaels on the Reds radio broadcast. I was maybe 10 or 12 when Al left, but I remember hearing Marty and thinking "nobody will be as good as Al". Well, Marty was.

Marty will be missed. Most won't remember, but before Marty I remember Al Michaels on the Reds radio broadcast. I was maybe 10 or 12 when Al left, but I remember hearing Marty and thinking "nobody will be as good as Al". Well, Marty was.

Al was only around for a very short time with the Reds.

Turned onto WLW last night and the first few things I heard was the host talking about how guests and the hot stove league that night was going to be telling their best Marty stories and their thoughts on him.

I thought he had passed.

I admit, a tear was brought to my eye. He has been around my whole life calling games. Always would listen to him for decades.

MEt him a few times when he came up for different events in West Central Ohio, great guy.

Loved how he told how is.

Before Al Michaels, it was "Jim and Joe on the radio!". Jim McIntyre and Joe Nuxhall. Yes, I'm old enough to remember Jim and Joe.

Al was only around for a very short time with the Reds.

Turned onto WLW last night and the first few things I heard was the host talking about how guests and the hot stove league that night was going to be telling their best Marty stories and their thoughts on him.

I thought he had passed.

I admit, a tear was brought to my eye. He has been around my whole life calling games. Always would listen to him for decades.

MEt him a few times when he came up for different events in West Central Ohio, great guy.

Loved how he told how is.

If you want to run into Marty go to the Macy's at the Anderson Towne Center. I don't go there often but I've seen him there several times.

You ever see Moonlight Graham play?

:laugh:

I had to google him. He was just a few years before my time.

I do remember going to Reds games at Crosley Field though, watching players like Vada Pinson, Lee "The Big Bopper from Birmingham" May, Jim Maloney, Woody Woodward, Tommy Helms, etc. Pete Rose and Jim Maloney were my favorites as a kid

He should be the Grand Marshall for the Parade. However, it is going to be Commissioner Manfred. Maybe next year?

Marty is pretty humble, I'd guess he was asked and declined. Or maybe he has so many opening day obligations, being grand marshal of a parade just isn't feasible.