Marion Local vs Allen East

Flyers 27 AE 0 Bring your Carhart's. Really like Wapak stadium esp. since the Flyers are the home team.
You may have been too kind to AE with that final. I'm seeing something around 50ish to 7. That 7 is just because shut outs are hard to predict and besides only giving up 3 points going into the fourth playoff round...that is ubsurd. ;)

You may have been too kind to AE with that final. I'm seeing something around 50ish to 7. That 7 is just because shut outs are hard to predict and besides only giving up 3 points going into the fourth playoff round...that is ubsurd. ;)
I was this close 👌 to predicting a flyer shutout and the exact score of the Versailles game. They had to go kick a field goal though 🤷‍♂️. With that being said, Goodwin has his current team put the hurt on his Alma mater.... 38-0 JV keeps the shutout alive in the second half but does not score themselves.

I was this close 👌 to predicting a flyer shutout and the exact score of the Versailles game. They had to go kick a field goal though 🤷‍♂️. With that being said, Goodwin has his current team put the hurt on his Alma mater.... 38-0 JV keeps the shutout alive in the second half but does not score themselves.
Curious to how many JV kids get into a playoff game, especially regional final games. I heard Coach Goodwin speak once and I have the upmost respect for him and the Maria Stein community. Sometimes, it ain't just about football.

Curious to how many JV kids get into a playoff game, especially regional final games. I heard Coach Goodwin speak once and I have the upmost respect for him and the Maria Stein community. Sometimes, it ain't just about football.
I have no idea how this week's game will play out other than I do think ML will win. Goodwin being a veteran coach puts his JV's in when the game is secured. I was surprised vs Anna and Versailles that both teams kept their starters in till the end vs the Flyers JV's.

I have no idea how this week's game will play out other than I do think ML will win. Goodwin being a veteran coach puts his JV's in when the game is secured. I was surprised vs Anna and Versailles that both teams kept their starters in till the end vs the Flyers JV's.
Sometimes when the game is decided and out of reach, you know you're playing your seniors for the last time. Lots of coaches will either leave them in or at least let them play longer than they would in a regular season game

He credits the parents a lot for the kids that he gets to teach and I have to agree with him. The parents in our district do a great job of bringing their kids up to not only be good football players but respectful humans, good students and just overall good humans. Takes a lot of work and effort but our community has a lot of pride in itself and it reflects in the school. Every now and again do teenagers do something stupid, sure but what teenager doesn't.

He credits the parents a lot for the kids that he gets to teach and I have to agree with him. The parents in our district do a great job of bringing their kids up to not only be good football players but respectful humans, good students and just overall good humans. Takes a lot of work and effort but our community has a lot of pride in itself and it reflects in the school. Every now and again do teenagers do something stupid, sure but what teenager doesn't.
Very well said.

Tons of respect to coach Goodwin but why in the world is he still coaching at ML? Nothing more to prove and he would be a great college assistant and possibly head coach. Seems like a huge waste of talent.

Tons of respect to coach Goodwin but why in the world is he still coaching at ML? Nothing more to prove and he would be a great college assistant and possibly head coach. Seems like a huge waste of talent.
He's also the school principal and his wife loves the area. I think back in the day he was going to apply to coach a school down in Mason and the story is his wife said if you go, you're going by yourself, so he's been here ever since.

Remember....to Allen East....the MAC is just a name.

Got invited to watch this game on NFHS in Harrod because, and I quote to "I wanna see the look on your face when we beat the flyer's".

My first reaction was I didn't think ya could get the interwebs there.

I may make the trek to wapakoneta to see what all the fuss is abkut with AE. They appear to be beating teams as badly as MSML is thumping theirs....

I have AE winning 31-27. Flyers ain't seen a team like this mustang squad In a long, long time.

He's also the school principal and his wife loves the area. I think back in the day he was going to apply to coach a school down in Mason and the story is his wife said if you go, you're going by yourself, so he's been here ever since.
Pretty short sided on his wife’s part if true. We all strive to be at the top of our professions. He can win 1000 games and a 100 state titles at ML and most everyone will say it was just small school football. I would think that would eat at most competitive people.

Anyway, good luck to both teams but Marion will have another running clock. voice thinks if he plays it down somehow the kids at ML will take notice and play harder. Sorry to tell you Voice, but they never heard of you or your glory days at Coldwater. 😉

Pretty short sided on his wife’s part if true. We all strive to be at the top of our professions. He can win 1000 games and a 100 state titles at ML and most everyone will say it was just small school football. I would think that would eat at most competitive people.

Anyway, good luck to both teams but Marion will have another running clock. voice thinks if he plays it down somehow the kids at ML will take notice and play harder. Sorry to tell you Voice, but they never heard of you or your glory days at Coldwater. 😉
I think being the best principal you can be at one of the best performing public schools in Ohio would be pretty fulfilling since he says hes an educator first and a coach second. As for his wife, I guess if she likes something that much it must be good. Happy wife, happy life am I right? Lol and hey if he gets to 25 we won't have to hear the Massillon fans say they have the most anymore 😉

Last edited:

Are you talking to yourself? Or am I talking to myself? Or are you my Tyler Durden? Ha, no glory days for this old dude on the gridiron, none whatsoever!!!!

Smart money is on the Steiners, and Coach Goodwin would never allow them to look ahead to the ultimate matchup with Kirtland in the finals.

Last year you could see AE's heads drop very early in the game vs the Buzzards. They lost hope very early. If the Steiners can march down and score, hold AE, and repeat then this game will be a laugher.

I still hold by my earlier predictions. Mustangs to State!

I think being the best principal you can be at one of the best performing public schools in Ohio would be pretty fulfilling since he says hes an educator first and a coach second. As for his wife, I guess if she likes something that much it must be good. Happy wife, happy life am I right? Lol and hey if he gets to 25 we won't have to hear the Massillon fans say they have the most anymore 😉
It would take Goodwin a good 15-20 years to get to 25, and by then Massilllll0n surely will have a couple more titles to hoist.

Questioning another man’s motives for how and where he makes his living seems very odd to me.
Exactly.
This isnt like college or professional sports where coaches use a place as a stepping stone. He obvously enjoys the area and wants to stay.

It isnt like going to Mason was going to be a windfall financially to uproot his family and move to a Godless area of the state.

COuld be said about many people.....why do you stay where you are at when you could be at a much bigger, more lucrative place?

It is obvious, the grass often is not greener on the football field across the street.

CW's former HC, God Rest His Soul, had a chance to go to the Mecca of HS football, but decided to stay in a place he loved and enjoyed with every fiber of his being.

If this wasn't 100 miles away I would take this game in, AE crushed my team in the 2nd rd. so I can make a few comments from what I observed.Though undersized the AE LBs fly to the ball very well, defense as a whole got off blocks quick and attacked. #3 the QB/safety is very quick running the ball and passes well too, though small he is an aggressive safety that will hit you. As good as AE appears I can't help but think that ML takes this game something like 28-7.

If this wasn't 100 miles away I would take this game in, AE crushed my team in the 2nd rd. so I can make a few comments from what I observed.Though undersized the AE LBs fly to the ball very well, defense as a whole got off blocks quick and attacked. #3 the QB/safety is very quick running the ball and passes well too, though small he is an aggressive safety that will hit you. As good as AE appears I can't help but think that ML takes this game something like 28-7.
Do they like to air it out more, run more or are they pretty balanced?

They were balanced against us, having a very athletic QB allows them to roll out and let him hit an open WR or take off with it. their RB #48 is a good power runner also.

They were balanced against us, having a very athletic QB allows them to roll out and let him hit an open WR or take off with it. their RB #48 is a good power runner also.
Rolling out will be difficult with Marion's pass rushing scheme. Their linebackers and d ends are very fast and contain well. He may have to step up in the pocket and take a hit a couple times if he's gonna get a good throw off.

Questioning another man’s motives for how and where he makes his living seems very odd to me.
Selling yourself short seems odd to me. In 2019 he made 95,835, Even Assistant coach’s in power 5 D-1 make a million a year. Seems to me that could buy the wife a lot of happiness, but to each their own. As I said earlier, he will go down as the best small school football coach in Ohio as it is now. If that’s good enough for him, no skin off my a$s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking to yourself? Or am I talking to myself? Or are you my Tyler Durden? Ha, no glory days for this old dude on the gridiron, none whatsoever!!!!

Smart money is on the Steiners, and Coach Goodwin would never allow them to look ahead to the ultimate matchup with Kirtland in the finals.

Last year you could see AE's heads drop very early in the game vs the Buzzards. They lost hope very early. If the Steiners can march down and score, hold AE, and repeat then this game will be a laugher.

I still hold by my earlier predictions. Mustangs to State!
hold on... I'm confused.... are you responding to yourself?

Selling yourself short seems odd to me. Even Assistant coach’s in power 5 D-1 make a million a year. Seems to me that could buy the wife a lot of happiness, but to each their own. As I said earlier, he will go down as the best small school football coach in Ohio as it is now. If that’s good enough for him, no skin off my a$s.
my understanding he was offered the job at Mason( one of the richest school districts in ohio) and considered it, Marion then made him a principal at the school and allowed him to keep on coaching..... but i did hear that his wife loved the school district and this area.... sometimes having a great area to raise the kids, is more important then a BIG check......

I like the Flyers chances in this matchup! Hoping everyone comes out healthy and respect the game. See you next WEEK CG !!! Go FLYERS !!!! 35-0

There are plenty of coaches whose marriages collapsed while they chased the next big job from the high school level all the way to the pros. I presume his wife is from the general area and might have aging relatives or other family ties that would cause her to want to stay. If a coach is confident in his abilities there are those who just decide to make the big time whatever school they are presently coaching. It seems to me that coach Goodwin has little else to prove; great league, great support, great coaching throughout the MAC. There's plenty of coaches who would like a shot at that gig.

I sometimes wonder if he ever asks himself what the program can do for an encore at this point since the bar has been set so high.