Marion Local Dominance

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I did vote for the levy, but what really turned me off was the group of citizens who acted like how dare you question anything about the proposed levy? Seemed like a very liberal approach for such a conservative area.

First of all, I did vote for the levy, but what really turned me off was the group of citizens who acted like how dare you question anything about the proposed levy? Seemed like a very liberal approach for such a conservative area.
How is it a liberal approach to fix our crumbling infrastructure? If we followed the liberal approach we would be dumbing our school down in the name of "equity" and other nice sounding language that makes zero sense. You can have questions but I'm not sure what else they could have done at this point.

Reactions: RBS
Here's your sign, If you dare question anything be prepared for a confrontation.
You brought it up so i questioned it, questioning your thoughts isn't confrontation. It's debate. I never said you were wrong I just want to know why you think it's a liberal approach because I just don't see it. Shying away from confrontation is the old conservative way and it needs rooted out. That's why our political system is the way it is.

You brought it up so i questioned it, questioning your thoughts isn't confrontation. It's debate. I never said you were wrong I just want to know why you think it's a liberal approach because I just don't see it. Shying away from confrontation is the old conservative way and it needs rooted out. That's why our political system is the way it is.

Once again, your absolutely right, My bad.

The morals and how the youth is raised changed around 2000. Those morals and hard work still prevails in that area,probably a direct correlation to Mercer County having usually the lowest unemployment rate in Ohio. Ya,there small school,but you don't want to be the brother,cousin that doesn't have a Championship. These kids all go to kindergarten together, grow up together.

This group of Seniors was not living when 911 happened. Everything that was "normal" was changed. And anything that wasn't affected was definitely affected by "covid". Things are different for these kids than other generations. I really feel bad for them.

I'm glad the levy passed and that Marion is getting new facilities. I believe it will be a productive upgrade.

But, paradoxically, I'm actually also somewhat in the camp of the people who are resistant to spending a bunch of money on new buildings and such.

Students and prep athletes who possess the necessary attitudes and habits for success will usually outperform others with less of those qualities, even when the latter group has newer and better resources at their disposal (e.g., larger weightroom)

I think that's kind of what Stirred and other conservatives in the area are getting at when they balk at new construction and its high price tag.

Maybe we're successful primarily because of our kids' disciplined approach to academics and sports, and the old facilities aren't holding them back to the degree some might think.

Last edited:
Still trying to figure out why all this intelligence was split over two threads.

I'm glad the levy passed and that Marion is getting new facilities. I believe it will be a productive upgrade.

But, paradoxically, I'm actually also somewhat in the camp of the people who are resistant to spending a bunch of money on new buildings and such.

Students and prep athletes who possess the necessary attitudes and habits for success will usually outperform others with less of those qualities, even when the latter group has newer and better resources at their disposal (e.g., larger weightroom)

I think that's kind of what Stirred and other conservatives in the area are getting at when they balk at new construction and its high price tag.

Maybe we're successful primarily because of our kids' disciplined approach to academics and sports, and the old facilities aren't holding them back to the degree some might think.
I'm perhaps a bit if a social nerd, having taken hundreds of hours out of my own time to study why Mercer County (and a few surrounding pockets of Versailles in Darke and schools in Auglaize) have performed so well in football and why Shelby county has done similar in basketball?

My findings run very congruent with Flyer Prides laying out of historical community structure and values. For these reasons, infrastructure does not hold back the families and students of these communities similar to most other midwest communities who have seen better economic times usher in a softness in the mental attitude, resulting in an attitude of having arrived and complacency. I hope that never effects the great communities of the MAC and SCAL to the degree it has those closer to the large cities where kids seem to believe they are owed nice buildings and great opportunities just for existing, true entitlement of the mind.

There is also a genetic component to this entire agrarian community advantage that few people appreciate. When the benefits of better working conditions reached the factories, many young men opted to take the easier physical path and work in cities rather than continue to work the labor intensive jobs on the farms. Who had the advantage for farm labor? The larger genetic people who were physically stronger could and did buck bails of hay and carry water to the livestock with less strain than did a diminutive neighbor, and soon the smaller neighbor was looking to make a living selling cars or being a banker or anything that did not require the physical demands of agriculture. So the farms of America slowly turned into homes comprised of larger than average people. People who were strong physically, and able to absorb stress mentally while rallying to meet trouble head on. Kind of exactly what comprises the physical and mental challenges of a competitive athletic event.

My guess is schools like Anna, who have benefited from enormous financial infusion of capital via factories (Honda) will slowly overtime lose the genetic advantage they developed from the late 1800's through the mid 1980's. It has not happened yet to a significant degree, but history and human nature are pretty much undefeated in this area. Better economy leads to better times which leads to softer people which leads to worse outcomes which leads to stronger people which leads to better economy which.........

So I say all that to say, I hope and pray pockets of America remain less effected by ease of life. I completely understand both sides of the better facilities debate, as both sides have valid concerns and hopes for a better tomorrow. You've been handed a great opportunity, now protect it.

Last edited:
This group of Seniors was not living when 911 happened. Everything that was "normal" was changed. And anything that wasn't affected was definitely affected by "covid". Things are different for these kids than other generations. I really feel bad for them.
They didn’t participate in Covid at Marion Local….and they are still out there willing State titles.

Nope, they have certainly dominated a watered down playoff system. I mean you had to take it to 6 and 7 divisions before they "became a dynasty!"
I remember ML beating a D1 school at one time and, D3 school every year.

What's awesome about this program is there are literally no "special circumstances" around what they're doing. No close by "academy" without sports and they're not some private school pulling kids from all over. Just a community who grows up believing they can win a conference title every year.

What's awesome about this program is there are literally no "special circumstances" around what they're doing. No close by "academy" without sports and they're not some private school pulling kids from all over. Just a community who grows up believing they can win a conference title every year.
When your entire community buys into a program and supports it there will be success. Not just in the form of regular state championships but success in general. When these kids graduate they will do well in life. They have grown up with good work ethics and have seen first hand that hard work and teamwork achieve success.

In October 1833, 3 men traveled west from Stallostown (Minster) and stopped in the woods. They created a new settlement and named it St. Johns since they were all named John. How they survived through that first winter has to be a major miracle. The area was covered with trees six feet across the stump and was very swampy. These people were German farmers, ill-equipped to hunt and trap the game needed to survive. But survive they somehow did and as Flyer_pride and D4fan so eloquently noted, their descendants thrive. I agree that their genes have somehow survived through the generations. I thoroughly enjoyed your posts about this community. Thank you for doing that. Flyer_pride I especially relished your post on a different thread about Carter Jones and the seniors who see little playing time. I teach senior CCD and have 5 football players in the class, including Carter Jones and 2 guys who played not so much. I read them one paragraph from your post, and it made their day; being recognized publicly in such a manner. Thanks.

I would love to meet you guys, shake your hand and pat you on the back for posting such well written, insightful articles about our school and community. I did not know we had such talented folk among us. At some Flyer event please discreetly introduce yourselves and we can chat. Your identities are quite safe with me. I’m confident you know me – Jim Keller. I’d just love to thank you in person. I go by the moniker WOFF which stands for Wise Old Flyer Fan. That moniker is pretty much tongue in cheek for while the “old” part is spot on, the “wise” part not so much. I rarely post since my football insights are not very insightful. At my age, all pride in our school and community has been replaced by a deep sense of awe and humility that God would be so kind as to allow me to be born and live in such a special place among such special people. Go Flyers

Attachments

• Symbols 231204.pdf
    97.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Symbols 231204.pdf
    97.5 KB · Views: 42
The youth have always been raised basically the same going back every generation since this area was settled, hard work, religion and discipline.

The football program has been typically very good to a dominant program since the late 1960's or early 1970's.
Prior to this, our area was mostly comprised of small 100 acre catholic dairy farm families with a large amount of kids to provide the labor to run the farm. During these times, many of the kids didn't play sports or attend high school because they were needed to work on the farm. If lucky, the parent may have let them participate in 1 sport. That sport was typically basketball because farming would typically slow down in the winter.

The 1970's was some very tough economic times in the American Economy. Because of this and gas shortages, Marion Local typically scheduled local schools 2 times a year on their schedule to cut down on the travel time. The games started at 8pm to allow for the milking to be done. During these times until the early 1980's, Marion Local would typically schedule Versailles, Coldwater and occasionally Minster or St. Henry twice on their football schedule.
You're telling me you had kids dropping out of school after 8th grade in the '60's and '70's?
All football games started at 8pm in the '70's. It had nothing to do with milking.
Quite the utopia you live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.