Marathon suggestions

coolguy

Just finished my 2nd marathon over the weekend in Columbus (1st was Air Force in Dayton).

Anyone have suggestions on specific races to check out? Flying Pig (Cincinnati) is on my radar come May but I'm not sure if I'll do that next or Nashville in April.

Any runners have any suggestions?

I am not a runner, but the Chicago Marathon has to be relatively flat.

-----------

Tree of Knowledge, #1 Poster

Yellow moon on the rise ...

It is. Practically everyone that runs it sets a PR.

Would be interesting to see how it compares to Columbus which is very flat as well. Chicago is in my fall plans for 2014.... there or St. Louis.

I want to avoid running the same course more than 1 time.

LOL... you crazy kids...

I'm setting myself up huge here, but I think I'm doing the "Pump and Run" at the Flying Pig this year. I heard it was pretty cool. Don't know the specifics.

LOL... you crazy kids...

I'm setting myself up huge here, but I think I'm doing the "Pump and Run" at the Flying Pig this year. I heard it was pretty cool. Don't know the specifics.

Pump & Run is really growing in popularity as of the last couple years. If not mistaken, you go to the Expo on Friday where you will do a bench press and I believe pull-ups. Then you run the race on Saturday and it's some sort of scoring that is contributed by your race time and the repetitions from the 2 exercises. I believe they have you bench a percentage of your body weight to make it fair across the board.

The Akron Marathon is supposed to be great and a great test for those considering doing the Boston Marathon. It is not, however, flat... pretty hilly in parts from what I hear actually.

Two of my friends ran the Pittsburgh marathon. Sounds like they liked it.

That is one I really want to do after hearing the reviews and checking out specifics. The downside is that it is very expensive which I assume is because it is a Boston qualifier. Plus it's the same day as Flying Pig so if I do a May marathon, it'll be the Pig.

Pump & Run is really growing in popularity as of the last couple years. If not mistaken, you go to the Expo on Friday where you will do a bench press and I believe pull-ups. Then you run the race on Saturday and it's some sort of scoring that is contributed by your race time and the repetitions from the 2 exercises. I believe they have you bench a percentage of your body weight to make it fair across the board.

Something like that. Seems interesting to me to combine the two like cross training. I think they have shorter races such as 3 and 5 k for this portion. I could be wrong. I haven't looked into it too deep.

I am not bashing runners at all. But I see zero joy in running. If I can't drive or walk there in a reasonable time then I won't be going.

I am not bashing runners at all. But I see zero joy in running. If I can't drive or walk there in a reasonable time then I won't be going.

You feel the same way as about 99% of the US population. The apparent statistic is that 0.5% of the US population have run a marathon.

I wouldn't say that I find joy out of just running because I've always took it the same way as someone who buys a gym membership or uses an elliptical at home; a daily workout.

As far as road races (5k, 10k, half, full), I honestly do get a lot of joy out of these. I really like checking out a city or group that puts on an event like the ones mentioned in the thread and see the support that the spectators show for the runners. So many people line the streets to watch the runners go by and wish them well. But sometimes it feels like I'm the one doing the spectating while I run because of all the creative signs, bands, and other randomness that we see from the spectators.

Some of the best signs from Columbus marathon:
"You're running better than our government"
"Chuck Norris never ran a marathon"
"Run now, poop later; never trust a fart"
"Worst parade ever"
"Random motivational sign"

Then there was the girl (attractive of course) who was wearing a strapless top and extremely high cut shorts which showed a ton of leg. She held a poster board sized sign that read "Naked Chick" which made it appear that she was naked behind the sign. .... CLASSIC.... Every male runner that went by broke their neck when they ran by and turned back to look... as if to think the C-bus police would allow for a naked person to stand in the street. Well done by her.

If I'm running a marathon, one of 2 things are happening...

I'm chasing a realy good looking woman!

or

Getting the heck away from ZOMBIES!

:>---

I have scars, that's like tattoos but with better stories.

Last edited:
Chicago has a very, very, very narrow window for open registration--be careful. I also hear you are dodging people for virtually the entire race. They get a lot of charity runners (since that registration stays open much longer) who are very inexperienced runners that slow things down. Several I know claim the prestige of the race isn't worth the frustration.

East side:

That Big Sur run should be an amazing experience. Every car commercial filmed on a coastline is shot along that course--just awesome scenery. Do some hill training, also!

There is a new marathon next year in Celina and St Marys ohio around Grand lake. Its called the grand lake marathon.

You would be hard pressed to find a flatter course than this one.

But expect it to be extremely boring along the route if you are used to the big ones with fans and entertainment around the route.

I though the Air Force one was a bit "boring" compared to indy, I cannot imagine how the grand lake one will feel.

It is supposed to be, and being billed as, going around the rather large lake but in reality not much of it will actually be in eyeshot of the lake itself.