Macy's or Kohls?

Sliver of Hope

Which do you prefer and why? Interested to hear the answers and how people validate their choices. There is no correct answer, either, I like both, but have my reasons for which I prefer.

Do not have a Macy's near home so it is Kohl's by default. It's not nice at all though, the racks are usually terribly mismatched and there's crap all over the floor. Unfortunately this is the nicest remaining clothing store on the West Side of Cincinnati. I'd rather buy clothes from Amazon anyway.

Do not have a Macy's near home so it is Kohl's by default. It's not nice at all though, the racks are usually terribly mismatched and there's crap all over the floor. Unfortunately this is the nicest remaining clothing store on the West Side of Cincinnati. I'd rather buy clothes from Amazon anyway.

For the time being, there is still a Macy's store at Northgate Mall. It's arguably nicer than the Kohl's in Western Hills.

Tj maxx is better

This.

I sell to all of these retailers and of the 3 names mentioned MarMaxx is in the best shape. They actually have enhanced the brick and mortar shopping experience with the treasure hunt strategy and they have the best check out experience in the industry. Kohl's & Macy's both use what is called a high low strategy, they artificially mark their products way up high and then show the consumer a discount and other spiffs like those bonus bucks that takes it back down to where everyone else would be. The merchandise still goes out the door at a profitable price to them with the consumer not fully leveraging these discounts being duped. Also they use a lot of house brands that are of inferior quality, the Asian factories hate working with them because they are chasing fashion so their orders are later than a designer and the pressure to hit a delivery is greater; they usually have to cut corners to do this.

When it comes to my business, sports gear, here are the industry tips:

Search and purchase basics on line. These things can be a moving target based on color and size so show no loyalty to an e-comm provider.

Buy fashion and seasonal at the end of the season from either a brick and mortar off-price retailer like MarMaxx or e-comm off-price site like Sierra Trading Post. Also a great time to shop the Macy's & Kohl's are January, they close their books and report to Wall Street the first week of February.

Purchase technical and high end at a brick and mortar that has good service. It is well worth it to get expertise and to test drive an item, especially when buying footwear.

I think Sierra Trading is overstock in the TJ Maxx line. They used to carry a good line of Saucony in store, but they changed their shoe offerings (and shelving). More hit and miss now.

I am a male so...neither.

While I get the spirit of your comment, I am male as well, and if I want to look male I need to be in control of what clothing goes on my body so I must report to a store from time to time.

I shop Kohl's when one of the 30% off coupons arrives at home, especially if it is coupled with an additional significant discount.

I also shop .Amazon .

Being a farmer, I get my hats, coats and sometimes coveralls free from seed and fertilizer companies. Kohl's fills in the gaps with highly discounted essentials.

Before Kohl's it was shopping at the mall at those overpriced clothing specialty stores, never want to return to that scene. Mall shopping is enough to have the Man Card pulled.

Do you prefer a stegosaurus or a brontosaurus? They're both damn dinosaurs.

I had a situation a couple of years ago with Kohl's where somebody stole my identity and bought a $400 mixer for which they received Kohl's cash. They ordered it and had it shipped to me solely to get the Kohl's cash. The idiots in their customer service would not give me a full refund as the Kohl's cash had been used. It took me going to their president to get it resolved. It was a damn mess. I received some store credits out of it and a full refund eventually, but it was a drawn out PITA.

Yes. Got the full refund of the charge on my credit card and some gift cards. It took a bunch of conversations with "Bob" and "Mary" somewhere in a call center most likely in India given their accents and an angry nastygram to their CEO but I finally got a good result.

Last edited:
Macy's is better if you care about name brands. Kohl's is better if you don't.

Kohl's and Macy's carry a lot of the same brands but Macy's has more brand names.

For me, it's usually Kohl's because Macy's is too far away. Unless I need nice dress clothes then I go to a local place because of service.

Good God. You pansies make me sick. Men don't shop....period. Men buy supplies and we don't shop for it, we buy it. I would accept a Home Depot or lowes thread on here, but Macy's vs kohls? What's next?? Tampons vs pads? Lace vs satin?

Good God. You pansies make me sick. Men don't shop....period. Men buy supplies and we don't shop for it, we buy it. I would accept a Home Depot or lowes thread on here, but Macy's vs kohls? What's next?? Tampons vs pads? Lace vs satin?

Satin. Definitely satin.

It's Menard's though