MAC rivalries

dnis30

WE ARE LUCAS.
Insane92 and I were discussing what he thought were the most heated rivalries in the MAC. Wikipedia has this list:

Coldwater/St. Henry
New Bremen/Minster
Fort Recovery/St. Henry
Marion Local/St. Henry
New Bremen/New Knoxville
Coldwater/Delphos St. John's
Coldwater/Marion Local
Fort Recovery/Parkway
Marion Local/Versailles
Fort Recovery/Minster

He says Coldwater/Marion Local for football and Coldwater/St Henry in basketball. He was curious what you all thought so I started this thread.

What say you?

Last edited:

Insane92 and I were discussing what he thought were the most heated rivalries in the MAC. Wikipedia has this list:

Coldwater/St. Henry
New Bremen/Minster
Fort Recovery/St. Henry
Marion Local/St. Henry
New Bremen/New Knoxville
Coldwater/Marion Local
Fort Recovery/Parkway
Marion Local/Versailles
Fort Recovery/Minster

He says Coldwater/Marion Local for football and Coldwater/St Henry in basketball. What say you?
Coldwater Vs Saint Hank rivalries have been a series of winning streaks. Prior to the 2018 season, St Henry hadn't beat Coldwater in football since 1996. That streak was snapped. Basketball wise, Coldwater hasn't beaten St Henry since 2009.

Yeah, I recognize that list from the Wiki page.
Maybe to spice this thread up a bit, maybe rank them? I dunno.

Also, someone really f'ed with the wiki. Whoever the salty sailor was that deleted the nice writeup about it's dominance also forgot to rearrange all the content back to normal... you know, so it wasn't as totally obvious.

Coldwater/St. Henry
New Bremen/Minster
Fort Recovery/St. Henry
Marion Local/St. Henry
New Bremen/New Knoxville
Coldwater/Marion Local
Fort Recovery/Parkway
Marion Local/Versailles
Fort Recovery/Minster

He says Coldwater/Marion Local for football and Coldwater/St Henry in basketball. He was curious what you all thought so I started this thread.

What say you?
I don't know that any rivalries in the MAC would be considered heated. Feels like a lot of mutual respect between one another.

CW vs Versailles has always been the most heated rival, at least for CW and has gone back well before their inclusion to the league.

CW/MSML is a great rivalry, but more of a healthy one where you shake hands after the game, and have a Pepsi at McSobers or the Town Tavern.

CW/SH for the closeness, but over the years it seems one team always is dominant for an extended period of time so that takes away that luster.

CW/DSJ: That derives from when they would meet week 10 for a long time with so much on the line. That has, and will, continue to dwindle for a few reasons with the timing of the match up making up for some or the reason.

CW/PW: Because statechampion20XX hates em and wants them banished.

When I was in school which was a few years back, ML's biggest rivalry games in football were Minster and Versailles. Now that would be CW and Minster at least till SH is competitive vs ML again and till tiger ball comes back.

When I was in school which was a few years back, ML's biggest rivalry games in football were Minster and Versailles. Now that would be CW and Minster at least till SH is competitive vs ML again and till tiger ball comes back.
Ver was making a good comeback awhile ago. They faced CWin the playoffs in Dayton, their young QB got hurt early, and their coach left soon thereafter. I think if he would have stayed they were onto something good.

Word on the street is when Don Vogt left Parkway to go to Coldwater, he told the kids at Coldwater that it was rivalry week when they were about to play the Panthers, and the kids laughed at him.

Word on the street is when Don Vogt left Parkway to go to Coldwater, he told the kids at Coldwater that it was rivalry week when they were about to play the Panthers, and the kids laughed at him.
Same thing happened when former Coldwater assistant Jeff Kerr came over from Parkway. According to him at least

I don't know that any rivalries in the MAC would be considered heated. Feels like a lot of mutual respect between one another.
You know I've always heard that, but never really fully grasped it until recently.

A few years ago my girlfriend and I, who was a Wynford grad went up to Oak Harbor to watch my kid cousin (who played for Port Clinton) during his senior season. My family and I were dumfounded, baffled, and bamboozled by how chippy the game was. Watching some of the PC parents egg on their players and sometimes cheer when they got away with cheap shots was just so utterly bizarre. It went both ways, and happened a lot. My girlfriend seemed somewhat unfazed, and said "thats just football, right?" She said that Wynford games were always chippy, especially in-conference.
Few months later we went to visit her parents and caught the home Royals vs Carey basketball game. I was absolutely stunned. Two Carey parents got ejected from the game (first one not even 30 seconds into the game), and technicals were abundant. I will admit, one of the most thrilling high school games I've been to.
Her parents and I were discussing it after the game and explaining how, MAC teams play hard, but have so much respect for each other. The conversation boiled down to how close the MAC schools/communities are and how interwoven with family ties, spread amongst very (logistically) close communities.
The N10 schools do not have that connection, theres not as much cross pollination (and can prolly be said for Port Clinton and Oak Harbor, as well). According to my girlfriend, there wasn't as many high school parties that had a lot of crossover with other non-Bucyrus kids when she was in school. And found it odd when I would explain how typical Fort Recovery barn parties would consist of kids from all over. St. Henry, Jay County, Coldwater, maybe some Marion, Minster... or God forbid, Celina or Union City kids if it was big enough. I bring that part up because I truly think those kind of interactions outside sports and school were what makes the MAC area so unique in a sociological standpoint.

Don Vogt was a helluva basketball coach. Unfortunately he was given about as much respect as most CW boys basketball coachES have been given over the past 15-20 years.

Marion Local and St. John's saw each other as #1 rivals for a while. Some years there was a belief that those were the two best teams in the division and they stood in each other's way of a state title. For Marion Local, it's Coldwater now, just not heated or anything like that.

CW vs Versailles has always been the most heated rival, at least for CW and has gone back well before their inclusion to the league.

CW/MSML is a great rivalry, but more of a healthy one where you shake hands after the game, and have a Pepsi at McSobers or the Town Tavern.

CW/SH for the closeness, but over the years it seems one team always is dominant for an extended period of time so that takes away that luster.

CW/DSJ: That derives from when they would meet week 10 for a long time with so much on the line. That has, and will, continue to dwindle for a few reasons with the timing of the match up making up for some or the reason.

Coldwater/Versailles football rivalry dates back to 1936. Versailles was the 1st team Coldwater ever played.

Coldwater / Marion has taken on a life of its own with 5 digit 50/50s.

Coldwater/St Henry is always friendly. And a rivalry of streaks as Voice mentioned and I did above.

Coldwater/DSJ was one of my favorites when I played because they were highly competitive excluding one and I didnt beat them at the Varsity level until I was a Junior.

Coldwater/Parkway: Let's not get too carried away now lol. Parkway isnt our rival. They may think so. We don't. The last time they beat us in football was 1988.

I'll add 1 more.

Coldwater/Minster have been some tough battles over the years.

You know I've always heard that, but never really fully grasped it until recently.

A few years ago my girlfriend and I, who was a Wynford grad went up to Oak Harbor to watch my kid cousin (who played for Port Clinton) during his senior season. My family and I were dumfounded, baffled, and bamboozled by how chippy the game was. Watching some of the PC parents egg on their players and sometimes cheer when they got away with cheap shots was just so utterly bizarre. It went both ways, and happened a lot. My girlfriend seemed somewhat unfazed, and said "thats just football, right?" She said that Wynford games were always chippy, especially in-conference.
Few months later we went to visit her parents and caught the home Royals vs Carey basketball game. I was absolutely stunned. Two Carey parents got ejected from the game (first one not even 30 seconds into the game), and technicals were abundant. I will admit, one of the most thrilling high school games I've been to.
Her parents and I were discussing it after the game and explaining how, MAC teams play hard, but have so much respect for each other. The conversation boiled down to how close the MAC schools/communities are and how interwoven with family ties, spread amongst very (logistically) close communities.
The N10 schools do not have that connection, theres not as much cross pollination (and can prolly be said for Port Clinton and Oak Harbor, as well). According to my girlfriend, there wasn't as many high school parties that had a lot of crossover with other non-Bucyrus kids when she was in school. And found it odd when I would explain how typical Fort Recovery barn parties would consist of kids from all over. St. Henry, Jay County, Coldwater, maybe some Marion, Minster... or God forbid, Celina or Union City kids if it was big enough. I bring that part up because I truly think those kind of interactions outside sports and school were what makes the MAC area so unique in a sociological standpoint.
THat is how it feels when I have attended Celina football games. It is always a home game with great seats so I am very close to the action.
Seen then play Kenton, St. Marys and Shawnee over the years.

It is just a different mentality on the field and in the stands, and to be quite honest it was a bit embarrassing. It would always get personal and nasty, just takes the fun of it, it really does.

Coldwater/Versailles football rivalry dates back to 1936. Versailles was the 1st team Coldwater ever played.

Coldwater / Marion has taken on a life of its own with 5 digit 50/50s.

Coldwater/St Henry is always friendly. And a rivalry of streaks as Voice mentioned and I did above.

Coldwater/DSJ was one of my favorites when I played because they were highly competitive excluding one and I didnt beat them at the Varsity level until I was a Junior.

Coldwater/Parkway: Let's not get too carried away now lol. Parkway isnt our rival. They may think so. We don't. The last time they beat us in football was 1988.

I'll add 1 more.

Coldwater/Minster have been some tough battles over the years.
That PW loss.
I remember, I was there. They had a great RB, Osborne I believe, and those were the dark days of CW football. I remember getting yelled at by the coaches for not being able to make a tackle on him. Mind you, i was only a FROSH and he was an electric back, but yeah...they took it to us.

As for adding Minster. Yeah. I guess so. Before the schedule changed it seemed like we played them on Oktoberfest weekend so their turnout was sparse.

I think the fact that there is a fair chance that the guy you might be lining up across from on the field might also be seated across the table at the next holiday get together, or family reunion, kind of has an effect on that.

Seems to me most of the MAC rivalries change depending on how good teams are over periods of time. In the late 80's/early 90's, seemed like it was Min/SH/DSJ in football. Now it seems more like the rivalry is CW/ML.

There are a few that seem to transcend sports and records, such as CW/SH and Min/NB. But rivalry almost seems a harsh term for them.

Now, Minster/Fort Loramie will always be a rivalry in any sport in any year.

With all due respect, I think a lot of people want to beat CW. It’s more about the fans than the kids. I see it at youth baseball games. Everyone wants to beat CW because they are loud. Versailles. St Henry. ML. They all talk about whipping CW. Again. No offense to CW fans. Outsider perspective from someone that sees it in person.

personally i would love to see Anna and Fort Loramie develop a rivalry in the near future. the two non-Sidney schools that play football in Shelby County, and i’m not sure they’ve ever met. and they both usually play at a high level as well.

CW baseball ha been a target and gets everyone's best shot since the early 80s.
With all due respect, I think a lot of people want to beat CW. It’s more about the fans than the kids. I see it at youth baseball games. Everyone wants to beat CW because they are loud. Versailles. St Henry. ML. They all talk about whipping CW. Again. No offense to CW fans. Outsider perspective from someone that sees it in person.
has bee

Ft Loramie, Minster and New Bremen should all play annually. FL staying in the SCAL has hurt them in joining the MAC. Maybe Versailles leaves the MAC and they add Ft Loramie?

It is not a good idea to get too chippy in a MAC game when you might want to date his sister. Most kids have a friend or family ties to someone on the opposing team.
I wonder what % of MAC athletes have played against a future 'in law'?