Low numbers force Canal Winchester to pull program

FormerWildcat

Yappi Supporter
This sounds odd. I wasn't aware that Canal Winchester doesn't even have their own tennis courts. That blows me away.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/co...-will_not-field-boys-tennis-team.html?sid=104

Low numbers force Indians to pull program
Monday, April 4, 2011 01:43 PM
By AARON BLANKENSHIP
ThisWeekSPORTS.com

It was determined April 4 that Canal Winchester won't field a boys tennis team this spring after only three players committed to competing.

Seven boys originally practiced with the team, but coach Jason Moisey said four of them decided not to play shortly before the season was scheduled to begin.

"We couldn't find more boys to play, so they pulled the plug on our program," said Moisey, who started the program in 2006. "We still had five kids out until (late March), but they dropped off because they didn't have the money ($140 for the school's activity fee). It's a real shame."

The three boys who joined the team were seniors, meaning Moisey will need to recruit seven new players to field a full team next year.

"We're planning on having a team again, but we need to find players," Moisey said. "I work a full-time job that's away from the school, so it's hard to get in there and recruit kids to play. We don't have tennis courts at the school, so we have to practice at Groveport when their team is done playing, which makes it tougher to get kids to play with us. This is disappointing, but I'm planning on coming back and putting together another team next year."

Update: after four years, CW is bringing back boys' tennis. Canal still does not have their own courts, so they are playing all of their games on the road this year. Hopefully they can get a full season under their belts and their young men have a good season out on the courts!

With all of the growth out there in Canal Winchester, you'd think they could get enough kids out to simply have a varsity boys tennis team. I also can't figure out how tennis courts couldn't be built. It looks like there's plenty of room, and there are some existing courts close by.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...H!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x04b1c4b1f1045980

If Groveport can afford some tennis courts, I find it hard to believe Canal Winchester can't.

With all of the growth out there in Canal Winchester, you'd think they could get enough kids out to simply have a varsity boys tennis team. I also can't figure out how tennis courts couldn't be built. It looks like there's plenty of room, and there are some existing courts close by.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...H!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x04b1c4b1f1045980

If Groveport can afford some tennis courts, I find it hard to believe Canal Winchester can't.

They've had a girls team for years now. Incidentally, I'm not sure how they don't have a boys team if all those interested girls are allowed to participate in the spring season of tennis (on the boys side). Of course, a student-athlete can't double dip between both seasons, but you'd think its easier to get a pool of tennis players (seven to do a full match, can do a minimum of five) when the school has over 1,000 kids.

If memory serves correct, the high school at Groveport has had courts for a long while. Additionally, they have public parks with courts in the "village" part of Madison Township.

Now... we're also talking about a community that also has a very nice, multi-million dollar community recreation center despite the fact it isn't a necessarily high-income area. I suppose CW could try and work something out with Pickerington Central or Bloom-Carroll.

@The Dock Did Canal Winchester ever build courts? I was just in Canal Winchester for work last week but didn't go by the high school so was just curious as it has a ton of kids enrolled and they are building several more large developments this year.