Local TV HS Sports Reporters

933York

Just thinking about who are some of the longest-tenured or iconic local sports reporters on tv covering HS sports in a particular area.

A few that come to mind for me was Vince Koza in the Lima area, and Mike Hartsock in the Dayton area.

Who are some legends from different parts of the state?

Dom Tiberi Channel 10 Columbus Ohio , Been doing Friday Night 1st and 10 for over 30+ Years show casing match ups and highlights from multiple games across the Central Ohio viewing area. Even using a helicopter to cover as many games as possible during his career.

Dom Tiberi Channel 10 Columbus Ohio , Been doing Friday Night 1st and 10 for over 30+ Years show casing match ups and highlights from multiple games across the Central Ohio viewing area. Even using a helicopter to cover as many games as possible during his career.
I’ve heard of Dom before.

John Popovich retired few years ago from wcpo channel 9 in Cincinnati. One of the best story tellers of all time imo. He really enjoyed and followed the Local HS Sports too. George Vogel wlwt channel 5 in Cincinnati. Set to Retire in a couple weeks I believe after around 35 years there. George you could tell by watching and listening really loved his job. He also always followed the Local HS Sports.

John Popovich retired few years ago from wcpo channel 9 in Cincinnati. One of the best story tellers of all time imo. He really enjoyed and followed the Local HS Sports too. George Vogel wlwt channel 5 in Cincinnati. Set to Retire in a couple weeks I believe after around 35 years there. George you could tell by watching and listening really loved his job. He also always followed the Local HS Sports.
I agree with all of that. I read the other day Vogel has been covering Cincinnati sports for 42 years.

Of the younger crop of people on TV in the Queen City, I really like Joe and Jeremy at Fox 19. It seems like they enjoy doing high school highlights almost as much they do covering the Reds or Bengals.

Lima area lost 2 of the best for local high school sports in the last couple of years. Vince Koza was a household name in high school sports for many years. Aaron Matthews was another. Not as long in the area as Vince, but just as popular and respected. He was also Commissioner of the NWCC at the time of his passing

Joe and Jeremy do the best high school highlights show in the city and it's not even close. George Vogel and John Popovich were great, but Joe and Jeremy provide more coverage, are far more entertaining, and have a genuineness to them that everyone relates to.

We are spoiled in Cincy with our sports coverage overall.

Lima area lost 2 of the best for local high school sports in the last couple of years. Vince Koza was a household name in high school sports for many years. Aaron Matthews was another. Not as long in the area as Vince, but just as popular and respected. He was also Commissioner of the NWCC at the time of his passing
Just thinking about who are some of the longest-tenured or iconic local sports reporters on tv covering HS sports in a particular area.

A few that come to mind for me was Vince Koza in the Lima area, and Mike Hartsock in the Dayton area.

Vince's morning radio show was always something to look forward to on Saturday mornings. The KOZ always did a great job covering and showcasing Lima area athletes.

I agree with all of that. I read the other day Vogel has been covering Cincinnati sports for 42 years.

Of the younger crop of people on TV in the Queen City, I really like Joe and Jeremy at Fox 19. It seems like they enjoy doing high school highlights almost as much they do covering the Reds or Bengals.
Absolutely agree with Joe&Jeremy. I saw the word “legend” and my mind went immediately to “old school” mode.

Mike Ackelson in Youngstown with WFMJ.
Also, Dana Balash of WFMJ in Youngstown has been with the station for over 30 years now.

WKBN in Youngstown has two fellow veterans -- Ryan Allison and Chad Krispinsky.

I wouldn't call any of them legends, but they've all been solid, consistent contributors in the Mahoning Valley for quite some time now.

Vince was a heckva guy... and I don't think Hartsock has aged in 30 years

DOM... does a great job

Also, Dana Balash of WFMJ in Youngstown has been with the station for over 30 years now.

WKBN in Youngstown has two fellow veterans -- Ryan Allison and Chad Krispinsky.

I wouldn't call any of them legends, but they've all been solid, consistent contributors in the Mahoning Valley for quite some time now.
I think Dana stinks. Watch his choppy interviews. And WFMJ sucks. Website is horrible.

Joe and Jeremy do the best high school highlights show in the city and it's not even close. George Vogel and John Popovich were great, but Joe and Jeremy provide more coverage, are far more entertaining, and have a genuineness to them that everyone relates to.

We are spoiled in Cincy with our sports coverage overall.
Joe and Jeremy at FOX do a great job with the highlights. They add some great descriptions, like Stewart Scott at ESPN, to make it more fun and entertaining.

The Lima Area ones have already been named. Although he passed away 15+ years ago, Big Ralph from K94 out of Celina is iconic for St. Marys Roughrider Football.
I remember big Ralph on the radio. Definitely a legendary local radio voice. I always thought it was odd though that K94 was based in Celina, but they covered St.Marys football.

SO TRUE!!
With not having any local pro or large universities in the area, the Lima area has always had a pretty deep passion for high school sports, and they’ve had the fortune of having some real good broadcasters and reporters covering all the action on Friday nights over the years.

He never built up the longevity of others, but it would be hard to surpass WOSN's Andy Lynch in popularity or enthusiasm. And it is impossible to outdo WOSN's high school sports coverage.
Andy Lynch was an absolute treasure. He put so much work in and cared so much about what he did. He got to know so many athletes, coaches, ADs and community members from all around. Truly a Man of God, humble, knowledgeable, charismatic, and genuine.
I'm fortunate to be able to call him a friend. And he seems to be doing great things at his Church in Indianapolis with his lovely family.

Also this clip of the final section of his last broadcast still pulls at my heartstrings.

Andy Lynch was an absolute treasure. He put so much work in and cared so much about what he did. He got to know so many athletes, coaches, ADs and community members from all around. Truly a Man of God, humble, knowledgeable, charismatic, and genuine.
I'm fortunate to be able to call him a friend. And he seems to be doing great things at his Church in Indianapolis with his lovely family.

Also this clip of the final section of his last broadcast still pulls at my heartstrings.
such a DUDE!!! so Humble and kind person....

what about Don Brown in Dayton..... whatever happened to him?