Linsly @ Dover

DoverTornadoFan

Thoughts on this game? Last year's game went down to the last play. Dover seems to have everything figured and and has looked great the last couple weeks. Hopefully the boys keep playing they way they have been these past couple weeks. Should be a great game. Go Dover!

I was at the game at Licking Valley last night. Linsly struggled defending the pass. They also turned the ball over at least 4 times. One fumble and 3 interceptions. I believe three of those turnovers led to LV touchdowns. Linsly is physical and they defend the run well. A lot of good athletes. Licking Valley was much smaller up front, but matched Linsly’s physicality. I came away from this game very impressed by Licking Valley. Solid, fundamentally sound, well coached team.

Linsly is solid, but they do have some weaknesses. They have lost to 3 Ohio blue bloods. Hopefully Dover can be the 4th to defeat them. People from the Ohio Valley think Linsly is the end all be all. Would love for Dover to hand them another loss. It will be a good game that could come down to turnovers.

Still not sure Dover has figured it out yet. The last two teams they played are a combinded 4W & 12L. Boardman's Defense gives up 50 points per game. Linsly is a 500 team no more no less. Don't give me the excuse these 3 teams play a tough schedule, if your good enough you win some of those games.

I think it will be a close game, but Dover is peaking enough to win this game. A few weeks ago, I would have said this would be a for sure loss. Now I think Dover wins 35-28.

Still not sure Dover has figured it out yet. The last two teams they played are a combinded 4W & 12L. Boardman's Defense gives up 50 points per game. Linsly is a 500 team no more no less. Don't give me the excuse these 3 teams play a tough schedule, if your good enough you win some of those games.
Come on- you know schedule has a ton to do with it. You can’t dismiss those teams because they have losing records. DeSales’s other losses are to 8-0 Badin, 7-1 Walsh Jesuit, 7-1 Ready, and 6-2 Hartley. All of those teams are top teams in their regions, and only the Walsh Jesuit game wasn’t close.

But if you're a good team, you will beat a good team sometime. If you can never beat a good team, you're not a good team.

But if you're a good team, you will beat a good team sometime. If you can never beat a good team, you're not a good team.
They beat 6-2 Tri-Valley who is a good team. You can’t just look at W-L and division. Ultimately the best gauge for how competitive a team is how they played similar opponents. Obviously matchups matter, but you can’t dismiss a team after only looking at their record- just like you can’t crown an undefeated team with a cream puff schedule.

I agree they need to win the close games, but there are other factors that need taken into account.

About 10 years ago a team defeated the eventual state champion in their division (D-IV) by over 40, their losses were to:
St. Ignatius (13-2) by 14 pts
Harding (11-2) by 8 pts
Lake Catholic (8-4) by 3pts in 2OT
St. Edward (12-1) by 30 pts
Ursuline (9-4) by 20 pts
Fitch (10-2) by 28 pts
Canisus (12-0) by 2 pts
So by your definition this team was a bad team despite being undoubtedly the best team in their division...

I was at the game at Licking Valley last night. Linsly struggled defending the pass. They also turned the ball over at least 4 times. One fumble and 3 interceptions. I believe three of those turnovers led to LV touchdowns. Linsly is physical and they defend the run well. A lot of good athletes. Licking Valley was much smaller up front, but matched Linsly’s physicality. I came away from this game very impressed by Licking Valley. Solid, fundamentally sound, well coached team.

Linsly is solid, but they do have some weaknesses. They have lost to 3 Ohio blue bloods. Hopefully Dover can be the 4th to defeat them. People from the Ohio Valley think Linsly is the end all be all. Would love for Dover to hand them another loss. It will be a good game that could come down to turnovers.
Living in the Upper Ohio Valley, that would be a gross exaggeration of what we think of Linsly School football. A tough out, yes. Generally has some great individual talents, when you attract a multi-state enrollment, it has some advantages. But Steubenville is the acknowledged #1 around here until someone takes it, and the rest are competing for 2nd best.

Living in the Upper Ohio Valley, that would be a gross exaggeration of what we think of Linsly School football. A tough out, yes. Generally has some great individual talents, when you attract a multi-state enrollment, it has some advantages. But Steubenville is the acknowledged #1 around here until someone takes it, and the rest are competing for 2nd best.
Yes it was an exaggeration and also sarcasm. I am very familiar with football in the area as I live there as well. I know Steubenville is top dog. That’s not debatable. They are the only program that is relevant on a state level from our area. Trust me, down here in Belmont County we hear a lot about how great Linsly is and how no one will play them. Therefore, it’s nice when schools like Linsly play a tough Ohio schedule and get to find out how difficult it is to win against some of Ohio’s really good football programs. That’s why I was pulling for LV and that’s why I’ll be pulling for Dover next week.

As for Linsly half their players are from foreign countries. Very good in the trenches this year but skill group isn’t nearly as good as last season. QB situation is “fluid”

Might make my first trip to Dover this week. Will Judkins be back?
Yes he'll be back, just sick this week. Should be catching Dover at a good time, offense really starting to click. Hughes and Clark making big plays each week to compliment Barton who's had around 450 yards the past two weeks with 7 touchdowns.

Last edited:
Yes he'll be back, just sick this week. Should be catching Dover at a good time, offense really starting to click. Hughes and Clark making big plays each week to compliment Barton who's had around 450 yards the past two weeks with 7 touchdowns.
What was JJ rushing yards this past week?

I think they had JJ at around 140, Justice led the way with over 200 and clark added over 40 on a few carries.

About 10 years ago a team defeated the eventual state champion in their division (D-IV) by over 40, their losses were to:
St. Ignatius (13-2) by 14 pts
Harding (11-2) by 8 pts
Lake Catholic (8-4) by 3pts in 2OT
St. Edward (12-1) by 30 pts
Ursuline (9-4) by 20 pts
Fitch (10-2) by 28 pts
Canisus (12-0) by 2 pts
So by your definition this team was a bad team despite being undoubtedly the best team in their division...
Never said the team was bad, said I'm not sold on them yet. Learn to read.

Cone has been hater for years. Go crawl back in your hole Phila fan.

This should be a fantastic game. Glad we get them at our place this year. If we play how we have the last two weeks we will keep our playoff hopes alive. GO DOVER!

Hopefully get #54 and #4 back this week,last I heard 4 is not a cinch.
Any Steubenville fans care to chime in on this game?

Speaking of computer points from an out of state team, do they just go by equivalent enrollment, or is there some sort of competitive balance add on that the Ohio schools get? I’m guessing they just go by true enrollment since Linsly is listed as a D7, even though their entire roster is pretty much from other locations.

That’s what I figured. They feel like a D3 or 4 school, but it’s probably too much work to add competitive balance to every school on any Ohio schedule.
That is why it was usually good to play a D-I Canadien team that doesn't even know American rules hardly and barely has any boys go out for the team, and plays in a league of much of the same, you get D-I points off them.

Not sure if it’s still like this but back in the day even their Ohio wins if they have some would be counted as d7 because out of state level 2’s are just their level 1’s multiplied by their wins. So this game is whatever the opposite of a harbin cow is. Not that it matters as much anymore since everyone with a pulse gets in nowadays. We need every point we can get because with this schedule we’re poised to upset somebody higher with a less challenging schedule.

Not sure if it’s still like this but back in the day even their Ohio wins if they have some would be counted as d7 because out of state level 2’s are just their level 1’s multiplied by their wins.
I think presently out of state teams are calculated as follows:
Wins against other OHSAA member institutions count as whatever division they actually are, while the rest of their schedule counts as whatever division the out of state team is that you played.

4 should be under center on Friday and I heard 54 is possible for week 10.
Jason Mantzoukas Come On Man GIF by LoveIndieFilms

Hopefully Jack is feeling better but that backup showed out. Damnit Teddy get them both on the field.

Linsly is a solid football team. However, they are not the team they were last year. Steubenville handled them pretty well in the first half. Then for some reason fell asleep in the 2nd half. Linsly scored their 2nd half points on busted plays/blown coverages. If Dover is clicking, I believe they will win with the Passing Attack. Linsly does a good job containing the run. You have to spread them out some.

Good Luck Dover!!