Lima Shawnee vs Akron Buchtel

I was poking some fun at other comments on this thread. The kid is an all-around threat. He just scores.

had this same ... discussion on the Toledo board with some experts. Mangas arms aren't long enough for D1 college ball, he's too slow, most of his points come from dropping back and leaving his man undefended instead of rushing in.....

Was surprised to see many of the same arguments here and many of the same defenses I put up.

I suspect a mad rush of players being transfered out in order to make a spot for the mad rush to get Mangas on a team. I WISH Toledo had pursued him. I hope someone did and the kid feels some loyalty to that pursuit and makes the others pay. I don't know he'll have the great career but how could anyone look at this kid's game, Findlay, Trotwood, Lima Senito and not say he's D1 caliber? More than a few of those Shawnee kids will be able to hit college boards at some level.

Well congrats to both schools and particularly to Hubman for visting NWOhio boards and being a great sport. Stings I'm sure but it a very good team that met a very good and underappreciated team. No labrons but solid home grown.

Zach Fleer of 270 Hoops in Columbus said this is unlike any recruiting year he has seen. I’d imagine coaches haven’t seen some players play for months, and players haven’t been on many campus visits. Fleer said colleges are focused on retaining their own players and looking for college transfers and jucos. Kids with college experience are a surer thing than high school seniors. For these reasons, Mangas is probably not getting the looks he would during a normal year.

I’ve seen Mangus multiple times. Knock on him for D1 is lack of height and shooting ability. 2 guards have to shoot better and certainly defend better. Kid never makes a mistake, remember that, and if you don’t he’ll be sure to clear that up for you. Most D1 coaches are more likely to leave his games disgusted as opposed to impressed.

had this same ... discussion on the Toledo board with some experts. Mangas arms aren't long enough for D1 college ball, he's too slow, most of his points come from dropping back and leaving his man undefended instead of rushing in.....

Was surprised to see many of the same arguments here and many of the same defenses I put up.

I suspect a mad rush of players being transfered out in order to make a spot for the mad rush to get Mangas on a team. I WISH Toledo had pursued him. I hope someone did and the kid feels some loyalty to that pursuit and makes the others pay. I don't know he'll have the great career but how could anyone look at this kid's game, Findlay, Trotwood, Lima Senito and not say he's D1 caliber? More than a few of those Shawnee kids will be able to hit college boards at some level.

Well congrats to both schools and particularly to Hubman for visting NWOhio boards and being a great sport. Stings I'm sure but it a very good team that met a very good and underappreciated team. No labrons but solid home grown.
Stings like the dickens!! Really feel for the kids, but they got it handed to them. I'm putting it out there, I am an Akron kid but I will be pulling for Shawnee next week, yeah I said it!!

Stings like the dickens!! Really feel for the kids, but they got it handed to them. I'm putting it out there, I am an Akron kid but I will be pulling for Shawnee next week, yeah I said it!!

I'm trying to remember I'm only rooting for local and not against the richy-riches. For all I know, those Akron kids have been in that system for years. Either way, they're just kids on both sides. Hope both sides make new respects in the competition. But hopefully a certain someone keeps his nose out and lets the kids have the attention.

Don't much care for the guy but credit, not because of a difficult situation growing up but he really seems to have maintained a certain sense of norm, certainly family and he remembered where he was from, at least the private school part as he got mega-rich off the backs of child labor (I learned that on the DB). Man, if I was that rich, the 800 lb gorilla would be on the run. Godzilla would shake. Tru….. never mind.

I don't think that decision has been made. I think he's hoping the NBA changes its rule and allows HS grads into the draft. If not, my guess is he would be leaning towards Ohio State for one year, but that's only a semi-educated guess! :)
Yeah hes going straight to the NBA ?

We can all sit here and debate about the Mangas kid being d1 or not being d1. I would tend to agree with everyone on this board that he is not...I think he is an outstanding HS player and he has found a great niche in the game. Now he scored 40 and 39 in two regional games that is incredible and I give kids credit he can ball.

If he was a d1 kid he would have d1 offers by now and he doesn't. He can score, but he does get a lot of his points in leak outs. He had 17 at one point in the first half and the TV crew had him for 12 in transition. That just doesn't translate into the college game, you have to do it all. Most of his responsibilities defensively is play the top of their 1-3-1 or their 1-2-2/2-3 Zone and try to get poke outs and run outs.

He is special though, Shawnee is special! I hope they take it all this weekend

Would love to see a class of Mangus, Thorbahn (Ottoville) and AJ Adams (Findlay) all end up at the University of Findlay. In the era of position-less basketball they would be tough to defend.

For those who have seen Mangus and Thorbahn how do they compare. My opinion Thorbahn - is a little bigger version of Mangus and a little more dynamic in his ability to score vs a defender.

Would love to see a class of Mangus, Thorbahn (Ottoville) and AJ Adams (Findlay) all end up at the University of Findlay. In the era of position-less basketball they would be tough to defend.

For those who have seen Mangus and Thorbahn how do they compare. My opinion Thorbahn - is a little bigger version of Mangus and a little more dynamic in his ability to score vs a defender.

I think those two would compliment each other well. Thorbahn is a much better shooter, that is obvious, but I think Mangas may be a touch more athletic and have more skill putting it on the deck.

I'm trying to remember I'm only rooting for local and not against the richy-riches. For all I know, those Akron kids have been in that system for years. Either way, they're just kids on both sides. Hope both sides make new respects in the competition. But hopefully a certain someone keeps his nose out and lets the kids have the attention.

Don't much care for the guy but credit, not because of a difficult situation growing up but he really seems to have maintained a certain sense of norm, certainly family and he remembered where he was from, at least the private school part as he got mega-rich off the backs of child labor (I learned that on the DB). Man, if I was that rich, the 800 lb gorilla would be on the run. Godzilla would shake. Tru….. never mind.
What would LeBron do that would take away attention from this match up? YOU are the one who’s found a way to bring him up several times already....

I have heard UF is very interested in all three. I am not sure they have room to take all three.

Yeah hes going straight to the NBA ?
He's 6'6" and 195 pounds; which are NBA metrics. He also has a good head on his shoulders. Plus he is ranked at least in the Top 5 of any HS scouting report of repute. He was the MVP of the 2019 USA FIBA Under-16 championship team. So, yeah, if the NBA starts drafting HS grads again, he'd have a real shot to go straight to the NBA.

Last edited:
I have heard UF is very interested in all three. I am not sure they have room to take all three.
Well I'd hope they're interested in Thorbahn, since he's been committed for 2 years and signed his letter of intent back in December.

He's 6'6" and 195 pounds; which are NBA metrics. He also has a good head on his shoulders. Plus he is ranked at least in the Top 5 of any HS scouting report of repute. He was the MVP of the 2019 USA FIBA Under-16 championship team. So, yeah, if the NBA starts drafting HS grads again, he'd have a real shot to go straight to the NBA.
Exactly, no one is making this up.

I’ve seen Mangus multiple times. Knock on him for D1 is lack of height and shooting ability. 2 guards have to shoot better and certainly defend better. Kid never makes a mistake, remember that, and if you don’t he’ll be sure to clear that up for you. Most D1 coaches are more likely to leave his games disgusted as opposed to impressed.
LOL. I would rather have a player who maxes out his potential, than a player with a lot of potential but never shows it on the floor.

LOL. I would rather have a player who maxes out his potential, than a player with a lot of potential but never shows it on the floor.
This is absolutely true. But it is also absolutely opposite of how college recruiters look at things. It may be wrong-headed, but college recruiters value potential over production. They have their metrics and they will live and die by them.

I have seen Mangas play and think he is a very good high school player but not D1 talent. He could have a good career at a D2 school if he wants to. Most kids are recruited because of their potential of what they can do after high school. Mangas is a smart game player who in many was has reached his potential and made the most of it with his teammates supporting him.

Gotta play defense in D2 .....not real high on those 3 guys priority list. Thorbahn can catch and shoot...not real quick off the bounce. I like Adams but man, dude DISAPPEARS for long stretches...

What would LeBron do that would take away attention from this match up? YOU are the one who’s found a way to bring him up several times already....

pauvre babeee. sniffle. lol

Here's your "several times."

But hopefully a certain someone keeps his nose out and lets the kids have the attention.

Don't much care for the guy but credit, not because of a difficult situation growing up but he really seems to have maintained a certain sense of norm, certainly family and he remembered where he was from,

Oops, does once and a reference quoted count still once each or is it now two each? OMG, you're right. I DID mention someone "several" times. :ROFLMAO: