Lesson if UC makes the playoff

AEW Champion

God’s favorite poster
If UC makes the playoff after playing one real team and 12 creampuffs, SEC and Big Ten ADs need to react accordingly by pulling any difficult non-conference matchups and replacing those opponents with tomato cans (e.g. any American team not named UC).

An SEC or Big Ten conference schedule is clearly more than enough to get a team in the playoff if a team with an atrocious strength of schedule is going to be rewarded with a playoff berth.

Why play difficult non-conference games if a possible loss only serves to vault a coasting mid-major team into the discussion over your team? Food for thought.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

AEW Champion: Greatness Personified

Following your logic, why would playing any non power 5 team be difficult, especially at home?
If their were 4 undefeated power 5 champions this year, Cincy would be left out, the truth is that the ACC and PAC12 suck, you then have the B10 champ and SEC filling at least 2 of the spots, SEC gets 2; so that leaves UC and B12 champ, the B12 champ lost 2. That leaves Cincy and ND; ND did not beat anyone in the top 25, but made the mistake of playing UC at home, obviously if you are not able to beat a non power 5 team at home, you don't deserve the playoffs. The stars aligned for Cincy this year.

This is a fairly unique CFB season, IMO. Quality of football was down across the board. Even Bama and Georgia are a couple steps down from a typical SEC playoff/BCS team of the past couple decades, IMO. A perfect year for a non-Power 5 to crash the party.

I would do away with the crappy committee when the playoffs expand and use a modified BCS formula to select and seed the teams.

If UC makes the playoff after playing one real team and 12 creampuffs, SEC and Big Ten ADs need to react accordingly by pulling any difficult non-conference matchups and replacing those opponents with tomato cans (e.g. any American team not named UC).

An SEC or Big Ten conference schedule is clearly more than enough to get a team in the playoff if a team with an atrocious strength of schedule is going to be rewarded with a playoff berth.

Why play difficult non-conference games if a possible loss only serves to vault a coasting mid-major team into the discussion over your team? Food for thought.

12 creampuffs ha, just stop already. You've proven time and time again you don't have a clue what you're talking about and can't get out of the way out of your own homerism towards Notre Dame.

Clemson has shown the P5 teams this already. The past 5 or 6 years they've played FCS schools, ACC schools, among others and have gotten in the Playoff. Notre Dame has done the same as some of the powers that fill their schedule, Stanford, USC, etc have been way down.

So I agree with you, the big boys shouldn't be scheduling these top tier G5 teams, granted it's tough to know which G5 team would be top tier coming into the preseason. UC was an exception this year as their game against Georgia last year, plus all the guys coming back from that team.

As mentioned previously, this year was a perfect storm. Super seniors, schedule - UC playing Notre Dame, 2-loss Big 12 Champ, 2-loss ACC Champ, 2-loss Pac 12 Champ. This may never happen again so long as the Playoff sticks at four teams. But this is also why there needs to be expansion because as much as some of you guys criticize the G5, they deserve a chance and with four 99.9% of the time they won't get it. Cincinnati isn't likely to beat Alabama, but I'm happy they'll get their chance.

Just want to let everyone know that Michigan's Non League schedule for 2022 is Colorado State, Hawaii and UConn.

12 creampuffs ha, just stop already. You've proven time and time again you don't have a clue what you're talking about and can't get out of the way out of your own homerism towards Notre Dame.

Clemson has shown the P5 teams this already. The past 5 or 6 years they've played FCS schools, ACC schools, among others and have gotten in the Playoff. Notre Dame has done the same as some of the powers that fill their schedule, Stanford, USC, etc have been way down.

So I agree with you, the big boys shouldn't be scheduling these top tier G5 teams, granted it's tough to know which G5 team would be top tier coming into the preseason. UC was an exception this year as their game against Georgia last year, plus all the guys coming back from that team.

As mentioned previously, this year was a perfect storm. Super seniors, schedule - UC playing Notre Dame, 2-loss Big 12 Champ, 2-loss ACC Champ, 2-loss Pac 12 Champ. This may never happen again so long as the Playoff sticks at four teams. But this is also why there needs to be expansion because as much as some of you guys criticize the G5, they deserve a chance and with four 99.9% of the time they won't get it. Cincinnati isn't likely to beat Alabama, but I'm happy they'll get their chance.
Why do they deserve a chance?

They don't play the same level of competition week in and week out. You actually think their conference is the same as the big ten?
That's a weak *** argument and you know it. Then D1 FBS should be split up. Make them two separate entities with two separate playoffs.

I don't think the B1G and AAC are the same. In fact I've never argued any such thing, but that doesn't mean a team like Cincinnati isn't deserving. These G5 teams beat P5 teams all the time. I mean the ACC Champ Pitt got beat by a team that didn't even win either MAC division.

Last edited:
They don't play the same level of competition week in and week out. You actually think their conference is the same as the big ten?
If the B10 would spend more time playing them, we'd know. There have been many years where there was good evidence the top MAC schools would beat half the B10. And there are several G5 conferences better than the MAC.

Let's look at this closer. You didn't have a zero loss or one loss Pac-12 or Big-12 teams this season, that really opened the door for UC.

That's a weak *** argument and you know it. Then D1 FBS should be split up. Make them two separate entities with two separate playoffs.

I don't think the B1G and AAC are the same. In fact I've never argued any such thing, but that doesn't mean a team like Cincinnati isn't deserving. These G5 teams beat P5 teams all the time. I mean the ACC Champ Pitt got beat by a team that didn't even win either MAC division.
I think they are closer than you think. You take out Ohio State, and I think Cincinnati, the last two years contend in the big ten.

The week after week argument only goes for the SEC. They top to bottom, is the best conference and it's not even close.

I expect Alabama to beat Cincinnati and I won't be surprised if it isn't close; however, that does not mean they don't belong. The Top 4 this year was easier to select than just about any year yet. Also as others have pointed out, the semifinals games have often been blowouts even when it's a "Power 5" opponent. FSU lost by 39, MSU by 38, Oklahoma by 35, Ohio State by 31, Notre Dame by 27.

Let's look at this closer. You didn't have a zero loss or one loss Pac-12 or Big-12 teams this season, that really opened the door for UC.
This. 100% this. Let's run through the other P5 Conferences shall we:
ACC - 2-loss Champ Pitt, everyone else 3+ losses
B1G - 1-loss Champ Michigan, everyone else 2+ losses
Big 12 - 3-loss Champ Baylor, everyone else 2+ losses
Pac 12 - 3-loss Champ Utah, everyone else 3+ losses
SEC - 1-loss Champ Bama, 1-loss Georgia, 2-"Osu Ole Miss, everyone else 3+ losses
Notre Dame - 1-loss to the team that went undefeated and beat them

This was one of the easiest picks for the CFP Committee since it's inception. Everyone was in agreement - Bama, Georgia, Michigan Cincinnati were the 4 and the only thing to debate was seeding, albeit they knew the matchups would be: Bama-UC and Georgia-Michigan, so that made it even easier.

I think they are closer than you think. You take out Ohio State, and I think Cincinnati, the last two years contend in the big ten.

The week after week argument only goes for the SEC. They top to bottom, is the best conference and it's not even close.
I agree with you to a degree on the 1st part, I don't think UC would have won the B1G, nor do I think they would have made the B1G Championship Game, but they would have finished top 2 or 3 in either division.

This second part is spoken like an ESPN talking head. This year that was absolutely not true. The SEC East was garbage, hence Georgia not playing a close game all year. The SEC West is very overrated this year also. Arkansas, Mississippi St, A&M all average SEC teams. Alabama carries the weight of the SEC, Georgia has picked it up in recent years, but when either of those two get beat it speaks to the depth of the conference. When other conferences have teams finish 4-4 then it speaks to how average the conference is. If the SEC was that good, someone other than Alabama would win the West every other year and someone other than Georgia and Florida would win the East.

I agree with you to a degree on the 1st part, I don't think UC would have won the B1G, nor do I think they would have made the B1G Championship Game, but they would have finished top 2 or 3 in either division.

This second part is spoken like an ESPN talking head. This year that was absolutely not true. The SEC East was garbage, hence Georgia not playing a close game all year. The SEC West is very overrated this year also. Arkansas, Mississippi St, A&M all average SEC teams. Alabama carries the weight of the SEC, Georgia has picked it up in recent years, but when either of those two get beat it speaks to the depth of the conference. When other conferences have teams finish 4-4 then it speaks to how average the conference is. If the SEC was that good, someone other than Alabama would win the West every other year and someone other than Georgia and Florida would win the East.
It's incredible to me that year in and year out the SEC puts more guys in the NFL than any other conference, they win and are ranked highly every year. Alabama, with Nick Saban is on another planet historically speaking, they annually have top recruiting classes and are nearly always in contention. Georgia is/ has been a regular in the playoffs, although they've not won it. LSU won a title a couple years ago and are generally near the top. Now with that said, the fact that Alabama only beat Florida by 2, lost to Texas A&M and beat Ole Miss by 7 and had to convert a couple 4th downs tojust get to OT with Auburn just shows the strength of the conference. It's nearly every single week in that conference.

I still question how good Michigan is as they rolled through a very weak non-conf and conference schedule, the puked in the 4th quarter at Michigan State, and they caught a very young Ohio State team, in the Big House with a veteran Wolverine squad in the snow and cold to finally beat them. Ohio STate lost at home to a 3 loss Oregon team. I think Ole Miss or Arkansas could have won the big ten this year. I have no doubt that Michigan would have 3-4 losses with an SEC schedule.

It's incredible to me that year in and year out the SEC puts more guys in the NFL than any other conference, they win and are ranked highly every year. Alabama, with Nick Saban is on another planet historically speaking, they annually have top recruiting classes and are nearly always in contention. Georgia is/ has been a regular in the playoffs, although they've not won it. LSU won a title a couple years ago and are generally near the top. Now with that said, the fact that Alabama only beat Florida by 2, lost to Texas A&M and beat Ole Miss by 7 and had to convert a couple 4th downs tojust get to OT with Auburn just shows the strength of the conference. It's nearly every single week in that conference.

I still question how good Michigan is as they rolled through a very weak non-conf and conference schedule, the puked in the 4th quarter at Michigan State, and they caught a very young Ohio State team, in the Big House with a veteran Wolverine squad in the snow and cold to finally beat them. Ohio STate lost at home to a 3 loss Oregon team. I think Ole Miss or Arkansas could have won the big ten this year. I have no doubt that Michigan would have 3-4 losses with an SEC schedule.
Alabama and Saban are on another level, but they help carry the stigma that the SEC is head and shoulders above the rest of the sport. They're good, but there is not much separation top to bottom between the SEC and B1G.

Georgia has not been a Playoff regular. They've been one time before this year. Exactly one more time than Michigan, Oregon, Florida St, Washington and Cincinnati.

LSU hasn't done much of anything other than that 2019 season. In 2018 they were in the Fiesta Bowl playing a tight game with G5 UCF.

I don't attribute Alabama's close wins to the strength of the SEC, especially this year. I attribute it to Alabama being young and more vulnerable than they are most seasons. The game against Georgia was their first complete game all season long. But that comment right there is exactly what I said before. Close games in the SEC equals strength of the league, but close games in other conferences and it shows how average they are.

Michigan likely would have had more than 1-loss in the SEC West this year, not the East. And no chance Arkansas or Ole Miss wins the B1G this year. No way. It really is a shame there aren't conference challenges in college football like there are in college basketball so that we could actually get some of these results and data points to prove or discredit it. All we get are the bowl games, which outside the NY6 (sometimes) and CFP, you don't get a true read on the results.

Nobody was complaining about the selection process when the playoff system started. Then UCF made a run and the complaints started. They had a chance to modify it then, but didnt. UC took noticed (and listened to what they needed to do) and beefed up their OOC schedule and ran the table. Now they dont deserve it. It is what it is...and Im glad they are in the playoffs

Alabama and Saban are on another level, but they help carry the stigma that the SEC is head and shoulders above the rest of the sport. They're good, but there is not much separation top to bottom between the SEC and B1G.

Georgia has not been a Playoff regular. They've been one time before this year. Exactly one more time than Michigan, Oregon, Florida St, Washington and Cincinnati.

LSU hasn't done much of anything other than that 2019 season. In 2018 they were in the Fiesta Bowl playing a tight game with G5 UCF.

I don't attribute Alabama's close wins to the strength of the SEC, especially this year. I attribute it to Alabama being young and more vulnerable than they are most seasons. The game against Georgia was their first complete game all season long. But that comment right there is exactly what I said before. Close games in the SEC equals strength of the league, but close games in other conferences and it shows how average they are.

Michigan likely would have had more than 1-loss in the SEC West this year, not the East. And no chance Arkansas or Ole Miss wins the B1G this year. No way. It really is a shame there aren't conference challenges in college football like there are in college basketball so that we could actually get some of these results and data points to prove or discredit it. All we get are the bowl games, which outside the NY6 (sometimes) and CFP, you don't get a true read on the results.
Again, I don't know why you say it's a stigma?? The SEC IS better, HAS been better and likely WILL be better moving forward. Those schools in the south eat, live and breath college football. Most are in smaller towns where college football is king. College baseball is also big, but that is due more to the weather. College football just isn't as big in the big ten other than Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin. I'd say the bottom, BOTTOM of each conference may be similar, but the SEC has a couple awful programs, but the middle and top is significantly better than the big ten.

Again, I don't know why you say it's a stigma?? The SEC IS better, HAS been better and likely WILL be better moving forward. Those schools in the south eat, live and breath college football. Most are in smaller towns where college football is king. College baseball is also big, but that is due more to the weather. College football just isn't as big in the big ten other than Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin. I'd say the bottom, BOTTOM of each conference may be similar, but the SEC has a couple awful programs, but the middle and top is significantly better than the big ten.
The middle is not better than the middle of other conferences. It's just not, there's nothing there to prove that. The stigma is SEC is king and no one is a close second, that's simply not true. The SEC and B1G are much closer than you choose to believe.

The middle is not better than the middle of other conferences. It's just not, there's nothing there to prove that. The stigma is SEC is king and no one is a close second, that's simply not true. The SEC and B1G are much closer than you choose to believe.
Not to mention, the bottom of both conferences are generally occupied by some very, very bad teams (Vandy, Maryland, Rutgers, etc). These teams would struggle in almost any conference.

If the B10 would spend more time playing them, we'd know. There have been many years where there was good evidence the top MAC schools would beat half the B10. And there are several G5 conferences better than the MAC.
MAC schools play the big 10 all the time. Ohio State pretty much plays one every year.

AEW, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent comment were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Just look at the recruiting rankings, the top teams get all the talent. G5 gets the left overs. And yes, they should split up. When Cincy plays a schedule with 10 P5 schools in it, then they are playing the same level of competition as a P5 school.

AEW, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent comment were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
I’m right and you know it. Face it, Alabama beating Miami had nothing to do with Bama making the playoff. Michigan beating Washington had nothing to do with Michigan being in the playoff. Play another Sun Belt or MAC or AAC team, take the easy win, and move on. No need for these playoff-caliber programs to even risk an out-of-conference loss.

But nice Billy Madison or Old School reference. Whatever.

AEW Champion: The only American worthy of a playoff

I’m right and you know it. Face it, Alabama beating Miami had nothing to do with Bama making the playoff. Michigan beating Washington had nothing to do with Michigan being in the playoff. Play another Sun Belt or MAC or AAC team, take the easy win, and move on. No need for these playoff-caliber programs to even risk an out-of-conference loss.

But nice Billy Madison or Old School reference. Whatever.

AEW Champion: The only American worthy of a playoff
Take the easy win...like ND did against a AAC team..SMH