Leagues Return?????

Old Portage County League with the following " Mantua Crestwood, Mogadore Field, J.A. Garfield , Kent State University High school, Mogadore, Rootstown, Ravenna Southeast, Streetsboro, Atwater Waterloo and Windham..( yes I know Kent State University School no longer exists but loved the League when it was this!)

The original CVC:

Chardon, Solon, Twinsburg, Kenston, Orange, Chagrin Falls, West Geauga, Wickliffe
Actually, the original CVC had Aurora instead of Wickliffe. Wickliffe replaced Chardon in 1980, who came back and replaced Aurora in 1983. But yes, that '83-'96 CVC you listed was one heck of a league (a lot of their games were on Cable 9 and Cablevision)

Bring back the old Suburban League! This was the ideal conference for Green.

Wadsworth, Highland, Revere, Copley, Green, Tallmadge, Nordonia, Barberton

There was an short lived league of Warren Harding, WWR, Niles, Howland and Hubbard prior to The Warren schools merger. Sad it fell apart so fast.

Fantastic memories of the Steel Valley Conference.

According to an article posted by the Tribune Chronicle on August 6th, 2017. The Steel Valley Conference began play in 1949 and included Niles, Girard and Hubbard at its inception, though Niles left in 1957. Austintown Fitch, Struthers, and Campbell were the other original members and Boardman joined in 1951. Brookfield replaced Niles in 1959 and the ensuing lineup — Girard, Hubbard, Brookfield, Fitch, Boardman, Struthers, Campbell — lasted through 1968 and is considered by many fans as the “classic” SVC alignment.

Another SVC lineup fans remember is the one from 1982-85, which featured four Trumbull schools — Harding, Reserve, Howland and Niles — and four from Mahoning County — Fitch, Boardman, Ursuline and Cardinal Mooney.

That ended when the Trumbull schools pulled out to form — along with Hubbard — the All-American Athletic Conference. That league lasted from 1986-90 and ended when Western Reserve was closed due to the declining population in Warren. The “new” Harding went back to the SVC and the five-team alignment with the same Mahoning schools. That lasted through 2003 when Fitch and Boardman left for the Federal League.

The original SVC existed from 1949 to 2009. 2019 marked the start of the second incarnation of the Steel Valley Conference.

Here’s the complete list of schools and years. Youngstown Cardinal Mooney Cardinals (1970-2009, 2019-)
Youngstown Chaney Cowboys (2003–09 [independent in football], 2019-)
Youngstown East Golden Bears (2007–09 [independent in football], 2019-)
Youngstown Ursuline Fighting Irish (1970-2009, 2019-)
Austintown-Fitch Falcons (1949-2003)
Girard Indians (1949–71)
Hubbard Eagles (1949–80)
Niles McKinley Red Dragons (1949–57, 1982–85)
Campbell Memorial Red Devils (1949–80)
Struthers Wildcats (1949–79)
Youngstown Boardman Spartans (1951-2003)
Brookfield Warriors (1959–68)
Warren Howland Tigers (1975–85)
Warren Western Reserve Raiders (1980–85)
Warren Warren G. Harding Presidents (1982–85, 1991-2009)
Warren John F. Kennedy Eagles (2003–09, Independent in football)
Youngstown Rayen Tigers (2003–07, no football, school closed)
Youngstown Wilson Presidents (2003–07, no football, school closed)
I’m not an expert when it comes to the Steel Valley Conference, But when you look at its inception, there’s a rich and illustrious history that comes with it that you could argue was a launching pad for several intense high school rivalries like, Struthers and Cambell Ursuline and Mooney, etc. As far as the teams that have played and competed in the SVC, from what I’ve read, Albeit they finished last in the conference that season, The 1987 Austintown Fitch Falcons were a really solid team. They had some close losses. They lost (0-3 to Mentor, 0-3 to Boardman, 3-7 to Mooney, and 16-21 to Ursuline) on route to finishing 4-5 that year. They did have a nice win over Canton Mckinley though that year 14-7. One member of the sports blog I read, even wrote that the 1987 Austin Fitch Falcons are probably the greatest cellar dweller of all time. Their other loss during that 1987 season that I’ve yet to mention was a 38 to 29 contest to Massillon. It was an impressive display of scoring, as The offenses went berserk. The Falcons ended up amassing 294 net offensive yards. Fitch who at that time was coached by former Massillon player David Hartman beat Massillon 21-19 in 1985 and 13-10 in 1986 in their only two meetings up to that point. “They just outmanned us,” said Fitch’s Hartman. “Their offensive line is huge. But we played with a lot of heart. We had lousy field position in the first half and we got behind. We certainly moved the ball in the second half when we got field position. We just didn’t stop them.” The Tigers defense stuffed Fitch in the first half, allowing only 39 nets yards. But Fitch cranked up its wingT attack in the second half, enabling outstanding senior tailback Mike Sztary to finish with 114 yards in 15 carries. He also returned a kickoff 96 yards for a score. “We didn’t make any adjustments for the second half,” Sztary said. “We just played with a lot of heart.” The Falcons had some talented pieces, especially on offense. I was born in 88 so I can’t say whether or not the 87 Fitch Falcons are the greatest cellar-dweller ever. But all my research tells me that at the very least, they were a pesky team with a lot of heart. Other memorable Steel Valley Conference teams from the blog I read are the 1999 Boardman Spartans who beat ST Ignatius and Steubenville that year and Lost their starting QB during the season and ended up losing in 2nd round of the playoffs to Pickerington by 3. Their head coach Gary Smith, who took over the helm three years earlier lead the Spartans to outright or shared SVC championships three times. He was praised for his leadership and experience that helped build a strong foundation and thrust the Spartans forward into a new era in Spartan Football, according to hometeamsonline.com. The last Steel Valley Conference football power we look at is the 1966 Hubbard Eagles. That year, Hubbard won their only outright SVC championship, They went 8-1, losing only to Farrell, PA in the season opener. Here’s a look at the full schedule and results. 09/09 H Hubbard 6 Farrell, PA 28 L

09/16 A Hubbard 28 Girard 8 W #

09/23 H Hubbard 8 Austintown Fitch 0 W #

09/30 A Hubbard 20 Campbell Memorial 12 W #

10/07 H Hubbard 36 Warren JFK 20 W

10/14 H Hubbard 34 Howland 14 W

10/21 H Hubbard 22 Boardman 0 W #

10/28 A Hubbard 28 Struthers 14 W #

11/04 H Hubbard 46 Brookfield 12 W #

Total Points 228 108

# denotes an SVC game, (6-0)

The Eagles were coached by John Brideweser he was in his third and final season and finished with a record of 18-9. Hubbard went unbeaten in the Steel Valley Conference, finishing the year with a record of 5-0 in 1966. The Eagles also shared the SVC championship with Austintown Fitch in 1962. The Eagles had a record eight wins in a row, in 1966 most in their history and only their third eight-win season. When it comes to the modern-day sports world in connection with the Steel Valley Conference, It’s safe to say the Steel Valley Conference was kind to the Lady Cardinals this basketball season. The Cardinals wrapped up their league schedule with a 60-29 win at home over East and finished with a record of 6-0 in the SVC. Caitie Perry and Alaina Scavina paced the Cardinals in the January 29th, rout of East. Defense was the key to victory for the Cardinals, and Mooney coach Jason Baker said that plays into his team’s strength. “That’s kind of been our MO the whole season,” he said. “We’re a defense-first team and our guards can really do a good job of pressuring the basketball and making things difficult as far as people getting into their offense.

“I thought we did a really good job of that tonight.” The Cardinals carried a 26-16 halftime lead and never trailed during the game.

It was a rough first half for all of us,” said Perry who scored 17 points for the Cardinals. “The second half we all came out a little bit stronger.

We knew what we had to get done, big game, the SVC (title), we knew we had to get that, so it’s a good one.”

These quotes are courtesy of vindy.com. The Lady Cards were a bright spot for the Steel Valley Conference this season and are just another example of a scrappy team to come out of that league.

So, whether you’re a fan of the original SVC lineup that lasted through 1968. Or you think the lineup from 1982-85 was the best. or you’re a millennial that cherishes the current sports setup, You can truly come to appreciate the origin as well as the modern-day history of the SVC. As well as everything in between!

Buckeye Conference
Elyria
Findlay
Fremont Ross
Lorain Admiral King
Lorain Senior
Mansfield Senior
Marion Harding
Sandusky

The mighty Buckeye Conference ran from 1955-1986. It started as a six team affiliation consisting of...
Elyria
Findlay
Fremont Ross
Lorain
Marion Harding
Sandusky

The league lasted as a six team group until 1963 when both Lorain Admiral King and Mansfield Senior joined. The eight team league lasted until 1980 when Mansfield Senior left. The remaining seven teams stayed together until the end.

Pretty much every team had times when they were dominant. Ross was big in the 50's, Sandusky and Elyria were tops in the 60's. Ross, Sandusky, Elyria and Findlay all had runs in the 70's, and Ross and Sandusky were at the top in the 80's.

I remember the Buckeye fondly. It was a powerhouse conference of class AAA, DI teams that saw huge games, big crowds, and players that would become household names.

Last edited:
If you could bring back a League from the past as a throw back what would it be???? ......Mine would be The old All American Conference with Alliance, Canton McKinley, Massillon Washington, Warren G. Harding (old), Niles McKinley, Steubenville
This would still be an awesome conference today if you added a couple teams

Old Portage County League with the following " Mantua Crestwood, Mogadore Field, J.A. Garfield , Kent State University High school, Mogadore, Rootstown, Ravenna Southeast, Streetsboro, Atwater Waterloo and Windham..( yes I know Kent State University School no longer exists but loved the League when it was this!)
I remember going to see Crestwood play Kent HS back in the 60’s. The field was right near KSU campus.
This is the league I grew up with. Wish it would return. One of my best memories was watching Jack Lambert helping the Devils win a championship with the upset of Mogadore. Sorry Wildcat.
Sure would love to get back to playing these old rivals.

I remember going to see Crestwood play Kent HS back in the 60’s. The field was right near KSU campus.
This is the league I grew up with. Wish it would return. One of my best memories was watching Jack Lambert helping the Devils win a championship with the upset of Mogadore. Sorry Wildcat.
Sure would love to get back to playing these old rivals.
Yes, that was a great league! Mogadore actually won the championship that year as the Crestwood game was not considered a league game. Each year although in the same league 1 game was determined to be " non league ". Strange wasn't it. Mogadore actually won the PCL their 1st 3 years in the league. 1968 69 and 70.
Kent State games were Saturday afternoon games as no lights. And I remember Crestwood when they got lights had to play on Saturday night as Friday was too busy in the town of Mantua then!! Spent 35 years in Red Devil country....my 2nd home!!

Two small school leagues I really liked back in the day were the…

Lorain County League

Avon
Brookside
Clearview
Elyria West (later replaced by Midview)
Firelands
Keystone
Oberlin
Wellington

and the…

MAC 8

Aurora (later replaced by Gilmour)
Beachwood
Brooklyn
Columbia
Cuyahoga Heights
Independence
Lutheran West
Richmond Heights

I preferred the original line ups of each league, due to their competitiveness at the time.

True. But I don't have to tell you that the BC is a great memory.
Of course. Anyone who watched Lorain or Elyria visit the Shot Palace to face Admiral King in basketball, or sat in the stands on a Friday night when Fremont Ross rolled into Strobel Field to face the Sandusky Blue Streaks on the gridiron…or so many other of the local rivalries within the BC…recall the passion of the fans in those rockin’ venues and the excellence of play on display by the many great athletes that competed in the BC.

Yes, that was a great league! Mogadore actually won the championship that year as the Crestwood game was not considered a league game. Each year although in the same league 1 game was determined to be " non league ". Strange wasn't it. Mogadore actually won the PCL their 1st 3 years in the league. 1968 69 and 70.
Kent State games were Saturday afternoon games as no lights. And I remember Crestwood when they got lights had to play on Saturday night as Friday was too busy in the town of Mantua then!! Spent 35 years in Red Devil country....my 2nd home!!
I played in those Saturday night games. Hated them. Long, long Saturday morning and afternoon, just waiting to play.
Yes, the big town didn’t want a Friday night game to steal any customers.
I do recall the game at Kent was during the day, no lights.
I was a local for a long time but moved several years ago.
Sad to say but I’m not sorry I left.

I know it doesn't technically count since the league exists at half of what it was, but to see the Toledo City League with this lineup again would be fun:

Bowsher
Central Catholic
DeVilbiss
Libbey
Macomber-Whitney
Rogers
St. Francis
St. John's Jesuit
Scott
Start
Waite
Woodward

That's why most people did not understand why Green wanted to leave!
Green wanted to leave because the Suburban League was expanding to two divisions and adding teams north of the league footprint. Green would have been in the National Division if they'd stayed. Either way, no more league games against traditional rivals Tallmadge, Highland and Copley. Instead, Green would have had to travel to North Royalton, Brecksville and Twinsburg all the time. Travel costs were a deciding factor in the decision to leave.

If the SL never invited all of the former NOC teams and stayed at one division, Green would have never left.

This would still be an awesome conference today if you added a couple teams
Niles is going to be D4 this year and is no where near the program of the 1960's and I would guess Alliance is in the same boat. Alliance and Niles have been playing each other recently and it is good competition. Warren, Massillon and Canton continued playing through the years and the feelings for each other remain very competitive. Surprised that Steubenville didn't continue a rivalry with any of the schools. Warren and Steubenville rivalry should get back together, it would be good for both programs.