Lake Levy Vote March 19

You could be right. They already tried to do it once and there was so much push back from community they ended up not doing it.
The fee will be instituted in the upcoming year. It received major pushback and ultimately did not go into effect this year because it was challenged by families of winter/spring athletes. The families of fall athletes were not assessed this fee, therefore a few families brought this to the attention of the board of education and voiced that this was unfair etc. Under this pressure the board and administration decided to rescind the immediacy of this fee and push it to the next school year barring a sudden change in funding.

Most levies are going to struggle to pass now that counties are reassessing property values and going to collect more money. But not one dime of the larger tax revenue will go to the schools because of stupid house bill 920. The system is stupid and will eventually fail.
This just isn’t true across the board. Many schools will see much higher local revenue, and the corresponding state share isn’t going down by the same amount.

This just isn’t true across the board. Many schools will see much higher local revenue, and the corresponding state share isn’t going down by the same amount.
Depends on the levy type. If it’s fixed value then it only generates what it was passed for so if all values go up then it still generates the same amount and ideally taxes would go down.

Depends on the levy type. If it’s fixed value then it only generates what it was passed for so if all values go up then it still generates the same amount and ideally taxes would go down.
Well yeah, but I figured that’s assumed. Then you’ve got the 20-mill floor…

You are wrong about this fact. Its one of the reasons schools have to go back to voters every 3-5 years on average.

The problem with the funding formula in Ohio is that more and more of the burden is on the local levy property taxes as the state continues it cut taxes and do less mentality. Forcing school districts to beg for money and get to the point where kids are only at school for 6 hours a day with no transportation and having to pay 750 per sport and 200 for clubs is a travesty. Special ed students sue for a least restrictive environment issues where they do not get a equal and fair education, how about the Lake students if this fails. They should sue for lack of opportunities.

The fee will be instituted in the upcoming year. It received major pushback and ultimately did not go into effect this year because it was challenged by families of winter/spring athletes. The families of fall athletes were not assessed this fee, therefore a few families brought this to the attention of the board of education and voiced that this was unfair etc. Under this pressure the board and administration decided to rescind the immediacy of this fee and push it to the next school year barring a sudden change in funding.
I don’t understand why this is so hard for him to understand.

If the people of Lake allow what is one of the best performing schools in the state fall into financial crisis today they deserve every bit of what's coming to them in the next five years. It's absolutely asinine for all the transplants that moved there over the last decade to take advantage of what made that community so great to not support the next generation coming through

If the people of Lake allow what is one of the best performing schools in the state fall into financial crisis today they deserve every bit of what's coming to them in the next five years. It's absolutely asinine for all the transplants that moved there over the last decade to take advantage of what made that community so great to not support the next generation coming through
What some of these folks don't realize is that they're slitting their own throats; they may be costing themselves far more than the incremental increase in taxes. Specifically, folks pay money to get into desirable school districts. There's a premium on a house on one side of the street as opposed to an identical house on the other side, solely because there's a school district boundary between them. Take away the appeal of that school district, and the value of every house in that district drops. So, pick yer poison: a few hundred in taxes, or tens of thousands in lost equity.

What some of these folks don't realize is that they're slitting their own throats; they may be costing themselves far more than the incremental increase in taxes. Specifically, folks pay money to get into desirable school districts. There's a premium on a house on one side of the street as opposed to an identical house on the other side, solely because there's a school district boundary between them. Take away the appeal of that school district, and the value of every house in that district drops. So, pick yer poison: a few hundred in taxes, or tens of thousands in lost equity.
Sorry but that is an over exaggeration. If the schools start failing, it would be at least a decade for it to be felt on home equity. I also highly doubt it would be tens of thousands.

As far as the quality of education, if the school is as highly rated as stated, the school will not fail. Teachers/administrators do not make a good school or district. Parents do. I live in a district that has been a top 5 rated district in PA for the last 30+ years. Take the kids out and switch them with a bad performing district and watch the results of the schools switch overnight. It is the parents who make sure their kid does homework and helps them when needed is what separates good schools from bad schools.

With that said, you do need to fund your school's and part of that funding should support extracurricular activities. Making pay to play be over $150 per sport is obnoxious and should not happen.

Sorry but that is an over exaggeration. If the schools start failing, it would be at least a decade for it to be felt on home equity. I also highly doubt it would be tens of thousands.

As far as the quality of education, if the school is as highly rated as stated, the school will not fail. Teachers/administrators do not make a good school or district. Parents do. I live in a district that has been a top 5 rated district in PA for the last 30+ years. Take the kids out and switch them with a bad performing district and watch the results of the schools switch overnight. It is the parents who make sure their kid does homework and helps them when needed is what separates good schools from bad schools.

With that said, you do need to fund your school's and part of that funding should support extracurricular activities. Making pay to play be over $150 per sport is obnoxious and should not happen.
I often wonder what percentage of people pay any attention at all to the academic rankings of a school when purchasing a home. I don't think it's as high as we would think.

Sorry but that is an over exaggeration. If the schools start failing, it would be at least a decade for it to be felt on home equity.
Housing market can turn on a dime.

I also highly doubt it would be tens of thousands.
Kinda depends on the value of the home, doesn't it? Most highly-regarded schools are in affluent districts. Affluent districts have more expensive houses. Wouldn't take a double-digit percentage to amount to tens of thousands.

I often wonder what percentage of people pay any attention at all to the academic rankings of a school when purchasing a home. I don't think it's as high as we would think.
They probably don't, but they probably know what the "good schools" are, and what the "bad schools" are.

Housing market can turn on a dime.

Kinda depends on the value of the home, doesn't it? Most highly-regarded schools are in affluent districts. Affluent districts have more expensive houses. Wouldn't take a double-digit percentage to amount to tens of thousands.
Yes markets do turn but school rankings are not a fast mover to affect the price.

As far as the quality of education, if the school is as highly rated as stated, the school will not fail. Teachers/administrators do not make a good school or district. Parents do.
If the school has to cut teachers, programs, electives, and extracurriculars while increasing class size and special education caseload and reducing supplementary services it doesn't matter if it's Harvard the academic achievement is going to be adversely affected you dope. The audacity to say that administration and educators don't make schools is such a ridiculous statement that it's almost not worth responding to. Nevermind the copious amounts of empirical data that directly contradicts your statements or the countless studies, surveys, and experiments that prove the exact opposite of your insinuation, let's look at some anecdotal evidence close to home. In Stark County only 3 schools received a 5 star rating this year, Lake, Northwest, and Tuslaw. Let's compare Tuslaw, a 5 star district, to the schools that directly border them. First you have Northwest, another 5 star district that has a significant edge in median income, two parent households, property value, employment rate and educational attainment and yet Tuslaw equaled that district despite having every major academic disadvantage. On the other end of the Tuslaw district boundaries you have Fairless who is a 3.5 star district. Fairless has nearly identical median income, two parent households, and employment rate yet they scored drastically lower on nearly every metric the state tests for. The two communities are nearly mirrors of each other, the parents are making the same money, working the same places, living in the same area, preaching the same values yet one drastically outperformed the other academically. Why do you think that is? Are the Fairless parents just worse than the Tuslaw ones despite all the data showing they're essentially the same groups of people or could it be that the performance of teachers and administrators has a much larger impact on school performance than you realize?

If the school has to cut teachers, programs, electives, and extracurriculars while increasing class size and special education caseload and reducing supplementary services it doesn't matter if it's Harvard the academic achievement is going to be adversely affected you dope. The audacity to say that administration and educators don't make schools is such a ridiculous statement that it's almost not worth responding to. Nevermind the copious amounts of empirical data that directly contradicts your statements or the countless studies, surveys, and experiments that prove the exact opposite of your insinuation, let's look at some anecdotal evidence close to home. In Stark County only 3 schools received a 5 star rating this year, Lake, Northwest, and Tuslaw. Let's compare Tuslaw, a 5 star district, to the schools that directly border them. First you have Northwest, another 5 star district that has a significant edge in median income, two parent households, property value, employment rate and educational attainment and yet Tuslaw equaled that district despite having every major academic disadvantage. On the other end of the Tuslaw district boundaries you have Fairless who is a 3.5 star district. Fairless has nearly identical median income, two parent households, and employment rate yet they scored drastically lower on nearly every metric the state tests for. The two communities are nearly mirrors of each other, the parents are making the same money, working the same places, living in the same area, preaching the same values yet one drastically outperformed the other academically. Why do you think that is? Are the Fairless parents just worse than the Tuslaw ones despite all the data showing they're essentially the same groups of people or could it be that the performance of teachers and administrators has a much larger impact on school performance than you realize?
It's almost not worth responding to, but you made a long response? Of course administration and teachers make a difference, but it is largely the parents who make the difference. For every study you have arguing your point, I'm sure there is 1 arguing my point.

Your anecdote is just that, an anecdote. Of course there are going to be exceptions, it is an extremely rare topic that doesn't have exceptions. Without looking and therefore knowing for sure, go look at the top 20% performing districts and your bottom 20% performing districts. I bet the top 20% share similar traits and the bottom 20% share similar traits. I know it is that way in PA, by and large minus a few exceptions.

Here were the November 2023 reults

Issue 33 - Lake Local School District
(VOTE FOR 1)
Precinct Reported: 18 of 18 (100%)

Candidate NameTotal VotesPercentage
For the Tax LevyFor the Tax Levy4,51248.39%
Against the Tax LevyAgainst the Tax Levy4,813
Congratulations to the Lake community for supporting their schools. Unfortunately, Mogadore lost by 88 votes, thanks mainly to the Portage County side of the district. Summit County village side lost by only 14 votes. A good, proud school district now facing tough decisions. Too bad for the students that a few individuals with an " axe to grind" are seeing fit to divide a once proud community and school district. Hopefully things get better...

There isn't
Oh ok, I am sorry. It's not like a 5-second search didn't show exactly what I said: a study for both sides.

Look at this list in the link above. Take notice of the school's districts on the first page in comparison to the last 2-pages. Will there be exceptions like Steubenville (Kudos to Big Red) on that 1st page? Yes, there will be. By and large, will most of them have similar demographics? Yes, they will. Look at the pages 6 & 7. Will you find similarities between most of those schools? Again yes.

Here are PA's (my home state) rankings, the top 20 are very wealthy areas. The rest of the top 75 are mostly middle-class schools that still have strong parental involvement. No poor districts with high percentages of single-parent homes are in the top 75. That does not mean you cannot succeed coming from a poor, single-family home, but it is harder for sure. That is why a school district of mostly UMC 2-parent homes generally ranks higher. For you to argue otherwise is absurd.

My initial post may have been too strong against administrations and teachers, but that does not mean that parents who make up the district, are not the biggest reason if a school is considered good or not.

My initial post may have been too strong against administrations and teachers, but that does not mean that parents who make up the district, are not the biggest reason if a school is considered good or not.
To your point, it's hard for some folks to remember that it wasn't that long ago that the Ohio didn't "rank" schools. Somehow we all survived.

Always found it ironic that once the state rankings came out 1) it created & reinforced stereotypes of certain towns/areas & 2) the state department of education were able to deflect any negativity directly to the local level.