Lack of crowd cause of Ticket Price?

Or you never really liked it at all.
I’d drive with friends 2-3 hours to go see random games. Life evolves.

I watch football all weekend, yet will rarely attend in person. The in-home experience is 100x better to me, I know people would rather be there and I think that’s great too.

Not true. This poster is from up near my way in Lorain County, I believe, and I recall he used to be very active on here, JJ and the local LorainCounty.com site.
I frequented both sites. Grew up in Lorain and went to King. Would spend Friday and Saturday nights at George Daniel since there were almost always 2 games a weekend. Basketball wise, there were times in the 80s all four schools (including Lorain Catholic) were thriving at the same time.

I’d drive with friends 2-3 hours to go see random games. Life evolves.

I watch football all weekend, yet will rarely attend in person. The in-home experience is 100x better to me, I know people would rather be there and I think that’s great too.
Today generation is different; won't change.

Today generation is different; won't change.
I think this is a great point. As far as the kids are concerned, years ago this was a valued socializing opportunity. I can remember driving my daughters and their friends to games before the proliferation of social media. I think AOL instant messenger was "it" at the time, facebook was just getting started and cell phones made calls only, no texts. I would hang around and watch the game. On the ride home, I would bet half of them wouldn't even be able to tell you what the score was.

Been enough decisive replies to concede it is NOT ticket prices. It is hard to argue with most other reasons given why attendance is down.

What I can confidently share is this Ohio trend is not replicating (to the same degree) in Texas and Georgia. Texas high school attendance seemed quite good in 2022, especially playoffs. Further, look at the 2023 news reports.......four Texas schools building/opening new stadiums seating in excess of 10,000.

Witnessed folks in Buford, GA camping out for tickets last year.

I realize school size, weather, and population gain may influence this, what I am sharing, those things aside, the passion doesn't seem to have died in the top two high school football states like it has in Ohio.

My real sense is it has much to do with aging Ohio population, very little growth, vs. innflux of new younger families moving to these southern states.

Me personally once it gets cold I am not going to watch games for kids I do not know, I support my HS by going to games up until the weather breaks and then I am no longer going. Also once it hits the end of October basketball tryouts start so some students are busy with that and you know how it goes for kids if their friends aren't going neither are they. There is also no real community support any more. You won't see St X fans going to Moeller games in the playoffs to cheer them on. Mainly its just the players families and the students from the specific school that is going to show up

Playoffs Week One -

New Bremen played down in Cincy on a Friday night. So, leave work a little early to rush home, drive to Cincy, pay $50-ish for a family of four just to get in, watch a blowout, drive home.

Or - Work until 5. Eat at home, head to a friends house a little before 7 and watch with a group of 25 friends for the $10 streaming fee.

Pretty much covers everything everyone else has said. When you weigh it all out, cost goes into it but it's the combination of everything that is the issue.

And just as an example (sub in "school" and "other sports") - Add in that Bremen volleyball tickets have also been costing fans an additional $70-$80/ week for a family of four (again, if they choose to go to games vs streaming w/friends)

I can only speak for myself, but I love high school football, follow many teams in the area and am partial to a few local ones. I haven't attended a game in person in 7-8 years. My kids have graduated and I'd rather stay home and be with my wife watching something on TV most Friday nights than attend a Stow game where I no longer know anyone on the team and know few in the stands. It's not an indictment of HS football, it's not about wins and losses, and I don't mind paying the $ to get in, it's just that times have changed for me.

I'd still go, I'd still man up and head out on bad weather nights - those are some of the best in HS ball - but the temptation to stay home and be lazy, and save myself $7 bucks or whatever (even though I'd pay that if I really wanted to go), is too great.

Heck, I find myself watching old Ohio and Pennsylvania high school football games on Youtube and can get into just about any game even when I don't know the teams - I just like football. But I'm too lazy to attend in person, these days.

Last edited:
How about playing playoff games on Friday and Saturday nights like it used to be? You will probably get more people to come out to games instead of playing on Fridays only. There are people out there who would definitely go to games on both nights. This is all on the OHSAA.

I no longer watch the NFL, college and I'm drifting away from high school as well. There's just too much meaningless football being played and I realized that the more football I consumed, the less I actually cared about the game. My daughter is in her final season in marching band. I'll be at the games until her team is out, but the overall lack of enthusiasm from the crowds and communities is noticeable. I don't know if anyone else is feeling this way, but there were a number of us (parents) who rolled our eyes just a little when we realized there was going to be another week of football.
I agree completely about the lack of community enthusiasm. I've noticed that there are very few people attending the games as unattached fans. Almost everyone is there because they have a child on the team, the band, or is a cheerleader. I think there are some great schools that try to attract the unattached fan but there are far more that seemingly don't want them there anymore. I've complained about it on here many times.

Friday nights should be about community. I always laugh to myself when I get to the game very early and sit in the same spots I've sat for years when the new parent looks at me and seems to be thinking "What are you doing in the parent section?"

I can only speak for myself, but I love high school football, follow many teams in the area and am partial to a few local ones. I haven't attended a game in person in 7-8 years. My kids have graduated and I'd rather stay home and be with my wife watching something on TV most Friday nights than attend a Stow game where I no longer know anyone on the team and know few in the stands. It's not an indictment of HS football, it's not about wins and losses, and I don't mind paying the $ to get in, it's just that times have changed for me.

I'd still go, I'd still man up and head out on bad weather nights - those are some of the best in HS ball - but the temptation to stay home and be lazy, and save myself $7 bucks or whatever (even though I'd pay that if I really wanted to go), is too great.

Heck, I find myself watching old Ohio and Pennsylvania high school football games on Youtube and can get into just about any game even when I don't know the teams - I just like football. But I'm too lazy to attend in person, these days.
Is the Stow Sentry still delivered weekly? I was just having a conversation about the weekly papers that covered EVERY HS football game the local team played. Towards the end, the coverage was minimal and usually only a decent story if the ABJ happened to cover that game (about 33% of the time). There were also stories about youth football teams and their records. We knew when a good group was coming through. Now, the only coverage of youth is some snippet on Twitter about a score if you happen to follow the youth program...almost no one does.

I think that destruction of the local newspaper has hurt the community support too. The Facebook Groups and Twitter accounts really don't penetrate the community except for those that are already involved.

Been enough decisive replies to concede it is NOT ticket prices. It is hard to argue with most other reasons given why attendance is down.

What I can confidently share is this Ohio trend is not replicating (to the same degree) in Texas and Georgia. Texas high school attendance seemed quite good in 2022, especially playoffs. Further, look at the 2023 news reports.......four Texas schools building/opening new stadiums seating in excess of 10,000.

Witnessed folks in Buford, GA camping out for tickets last year.

I realize school size, weather, and population gain may influence this, what I am sharing, those things aside, the passion doesn't seem to have died in the top two high school football states like it has in Ohio.

My real sense is it has much to do with aging Ohio population, very little growth, vs. innflux of new younger families moving to these southern states.
A lot of it has to do with this. I’m guessing HS football in Ohio is well attended in the growth areas of the state, such as the Columbus burbs.

How about playing playoff games on Friday and Saturday nights like it used to be? You will probably get more people to come out to games instead of playing on Fridays only. There are people out there who would definitely go to games on both nights. This is all on the OHSAA.
Agree 100%, it makes no sense at all that they stopped playing games on both nights. But of course its all for the kids. 🙄

Is the Stow Sentry still delivered weekly? I was just having a conversation about the weekly papers that covered EVERY HS football game the local team played. Towards the end, the coverage was minimal and usually only a decent story if the ABJ happened to cover that game (about 33% of the time). There were also stories about youth football teams and their records. We knew when a good group was coming through. Now, the only coverage of youth is some snippet on Twitter about a score if you happen to follow the youth program...almost no one does.

I think that destruction of the local newspaper has hurt the community support too. The Facebook Groups and Twitter accounts really don't penetrate the community except for those that are already involved.
No, the Sentry was discontinued a couple years ago, at least the print version. I'm guessing it's the same deal with the newspapers in Tallmadge and CFalls. I used to covet the ABJ's HS football season previews each August and devour them when they came out. But I don't get the Beacon anymore and though I think they still do a hs football preview, it's a lot smaller these days.

I always kind of thought part of the reason for the decline in HS football newspaper coverage, along with the general decline in print media, was that the papers didn't want to single out and hold football above other fall sports to make it more equal for everyone.

Local coverage used to be king. On Saturday mornings I'd race out to the driveway to grab the ABJ and get all the area scores as well as read all the writeups of the games. Miss when they had beat writers covering the games. Heck, I'm old enough to remember when ABJ did a short writeup on nearly every game each week, with datelines and everything.

Kent's Record Courier used to do a great job covering HS football, but not sure that's still the case.

Agree print coverage helped the sports a lot in the days when they had it.

Last edited:
I agree completely about the lack of community enthusiasm. I've noticed that there are very few people attending the games as unattached fans. Almost everyone is there because they have a child on the team, the band, or is a cheerleader. I think there are some great schools that try to attract the unattached fan but there are far more that seemingly don't want them there anymore. I've complained about it on here many times.

Friday nights should be about community. I always laugh to myself when I get to the game very early and sit in the same spots I've sat for years when the new parent looks at me and seems to be thinking "What are you doing in the parent section?"
It's like they look at you like you're a creeper or something. "No ma'am, just a high school football fan". That's why i usually stand to watch the game at field level when I do attend.

The majority of the coaches preferred that all the games be played on Fridays.
The majority of the schools saw attendance on Fridays larger than on Saturdays.

That's why the change was made.

Ticket price excuse = I don't like the coach excuse is why quit the team.

Both are fallacies for an overabundance of the majority and many just accept it.

In reality if they really wanted to go, the price ain't stopping, I'd the kid really enjoyed the sport

..he ain't quitting.

Didn’t the majority of coaches prefer a 12-team per region playoff?
When this was a real thing The Fan in Lima asked it to a lot of coaches. I drove from Columbus to Archbold and listened to many of them.

Of the dozen or so coaches on NWO all but one did not like it because of the bye week. I didn't really buy that from coaches like Goodwin....he's smart enough to figure out what to do during a week off.

The only coach who like it was....NB and the reasons for what you would expect. For a ashcopl like NB playing on the MAC they very well could be 9-12 and be q very good team.

The number of 9+ winning is proof expanding it was smart. I just wished they gave the 12 a chance.

Agree 100%, it makes no sense at all that they stopped playing games on both nights. But of course its all for the kids. 🙄

Heard from a member of the Marion Local staff just a week or so ago that OSU football on Saturdays absolutely has an effect on attendance to HS football playoff games on Saturdays and was the main reason most schools wanted to play on Fridays.

When this was a real thing The Fan in Lima asked it to a lot of coaches. I drove from Columbus to Archbold and listened to many of them.

Of the dozen or so coaches on NWO all but one did not like it because of the bye week. I didn't really buy that from coaches like Goodwin....he's smart enough to figure out what to do during a week off.

The only coach who like it was....NB and the reasons for what you would expect. For a ashcopl like NB playing on the MAC they very well could be 9-12 and be q very good team.

The number of 9+ winning is proof expanding it was smart. I just wished they gave the 12 a chance.
I typically don’t like byes in any tourney in any sport, but this might be the rare exception. You are still giving 9 to 16 seeds a shot at glory, while protecting the health of the true contenders by not making them have to do 16 games to win a championship. Yes, that one more game is a big deal. It’s hard enough to keep a team healthy for 10 weeks, let alone 16.

Yes, and they were told that it would stay that way.

Then the financial reality set in and they got back doored. (something the powers that be have yet to admit)
They ask like the same coaches this and they have to members of the coaches association. Not a full view of coaches in the state imo.

In reality if they really wanted to go, the price ain't stopping...
At some point, the juice ain't worth the squeeze. It's not a question of cost; it's a question of value. You might have $10 in your pocket, but you pay $10 for a Big Mac?

At some point, the juice ain't worth the squeeze. It's not a question of cost; it's a question of value. You might have $10 in your pocket, but you pay $10 for a Big Mac?
That's a fair assessment. We all attach value to our dollars.