KY Residents Playing Sports in OH

Now that the fall high school seasons have started or are starting, I thought I would bump this post to see if any KY residents are playing sports in OH that the OHSAA cares about (football and boys basketball) or if it is just Olympic sports where this is rampant and ignored by the schools and OHSAA.

Ask st. Paris graham how its done, they send there wrestlers to Kentucky to wrestle high school in the 7th grade which is eligible in Kentucky, then come back in the 9th grade a 2 time state champ to wrestle for 4 more state championships in ohio

Ask st. Paris graham how its done, they send there wrestlers to Kentucky to wrestle high school in the 7th grade which is eligible in Kentucky, then come back in the 9th grade a 2 time state champ to wrestle for 4 more state championships in ohio

I don't know who that is but the KHSAA rules don't prohibit OH residents enrolled in a KY school from participating in sports. OHSAA rules do however prevent KY residents enrolled in OH schools from playing sports.

I live in Northern Kentucky, right across the river from Cincinnati. There are a lot of Cincinnati transplants (myself included) that are "first generation" KY residents. Many of these people want their kids to attend the Cincinnati schools they themselves attended 20 plus years ago and due to the close proximity of the area, they do just that. The rules are clear that KY residents cannot play sports in OH. What people are doing is getting apartments or condos in OH so their little Suzy or Johnny can play high school sports. It is a loop hole that is not monitored by the schools or the OHSAA very closely and if it does not involve a blue chip football player or boy's basketball player, everyone seems content to turn a blind eye.

I don't know who that is but the KHSAA rules don't prohibit OH residents enrolled in a KY school from participating in sports. OHSAA rules do however prevent KY residents enrolled in OH schools from playing sports.

I live in Northern Kentucky, right across the river from Cincinnati. There are a lot of Cincinnati transplants (myself included) that are "first generation" KY residents. Many of these people want their kids to attend the Cincinnati schools they themselves attended 20 plus years ago and due to the close proximity of the area, they do just that. The rules are clear that KY residents cannot play sports in OH. What people are doing is getting apartments or condos in OH so their little Suzy or Johnny can play high school sports. It is a loop hole that is not monitored by the schools or the OHSAA very closely and if it does not involve a blue chip football player or boy's basketball player, everyone seems content to turn a blind eye.
Shoot, if people are willing to go as far as buying a second house or condo to play sports, let them have it.

Reminds me of OJ Mayo. His mom lived in South Point Ohio and went to a high school in Kentucky his middle school years. His brother played at South Point

What do we think about it? He!!, we've been talking about it for 30+ years since St. Gerry started the exodus from there over to Moeller. But lo and behold he sure didn't stop there. He spanned all the way to Texas to find two outstanding students (LOL) that just happened to be great football players. AND found them a place to live. What a Saint.

There were a total of 3 players who attended Moeller in the late 70's from Kentucky, hardly an exodus. Who are you referring to was form Texas?

Unless the bylaws have changed, you can't do that in Ohio. IIRC, if you start competing at the HS level in any state, the clock starts ticking on your 8 semesters of Ohio HS athletic eligibility. That's why OJ Mayo wasn't eligible to play basketball in Ohio his senior year because he already started playing HS basketball in Kentucky in 8th grade.

Also of note though, you can compete at the Ohio HS level while in junior high, but once you do so, you immediately forfeit your eligibility at the JH level. Also, you still only have 8 semesters of HS eligibility, so if you run track as an 8th grader, you would not be able to compete as a senior.

Reminds me of OJ Mayo. His mom lived in South Point Ohio and went to a high school in Kentucky his middle school years. His brother played at South Point

The by-product of this was that OJ couldn't play in Ohio his senior year because he already used 8 semesters of HS eligibility by starting in Kentucky while in JH. Thus, he went to Huntington Prep for his senior year.

Don't beat Toledo Central Catholic in football or the OHSAA will investigate you to the fullest. It's OK for them to get every good player just into Michigan, but nobody else is allowed to have a kid who moved to Toledo.

If you have the right connections, nobody at OHSAA will ever care.
Who pissed in your cereal this morning?? And who beats Central Catholic in football around here anyway? Whitmer, during the Palka years, had more starters from SE Michigan than NWOhio. Just for fun, where’s Whitmer starting QB live?

The by-product of this was that OJ couldn't play in Ohio his senior year because he already used 8 semesters of HS eligibility by starting in Kentucky while in JH. Thus, he went to Huntington Prep for his senior year.
Actually Huntington High. They had Patrick Peterson. Loaded team

I know folks who reside in Kings District but the grandparents have a condo in Mason. They say the condo is the parents residence so the kids can play sports and get a Mason education. Nobody’s business where people send the kids to school or how many houses that person owns.

I know folks who reside in Kings District but the grandparents have a condo in Mason. They say the condo is the parents residence so the kids can play sports and get a Mason education. Nobody’s business where people send the kids to school or how many houses that person owns.

If I were a tax payer in Mason and kids that their parents did not pay Mason taxes attended Mason schools, I would be pissed.

For those who say it is nobody's business, that is incorrect in an Ohio Public school. They are funded by local taxpayers. So yes, even if not an athlete it matters.

If I were a tax payer in Mason and kids that their parents did not pay Mason taxes attended Mason schools, I would be pissed.

Why the tax system should be overhauled for school district taxes. It should be based whether or not you have children attending school and then if yes based on the school they attend. This country is all about the free market approach so let's start using it. Maybe that will be a kicker for schools to improve their education standards. I'm surprised school sports have survived this long and we haven't adopted the European club sports model separate from school systems.

If they have a condo ir rent an apartment, how are they NOT paying tax. Kings dies not have an income tax does it?
Stow that is a great question. If I own property in the school district I am paying taxes. Does not matter if it is a second property. Same thing for renting, it is one of the 8 million things that the companies who own the complex factor into how much they charge for rent.

For all of you geographically challenged posters in NE Ohio a lot of the Kentucky kids lived closer to St X than the Ohio kids. It is not like X is a neighborhood school. There was no rule when I played for X. When OHSAA applied a new rule it still didn't stop X from winning state swimming championships. It is a pity the the NKY kids can't play sports if they want to get the best male education in Cincinnati. Politics. Only in the minds of the public school apologists is there a huge talent pool of football players in northern Ky. NKY is just another bunch of Cincinnati suburbs.

By who? You? St. Gerry? The Francisco brothers? Oh, well OK then. You idiot.
The Francisco brothers both played youth Knothole baseball in the Eastern Cincinnati neighborhood of Madisonville for several years. St Gerry must have recruited them at about 10 years old then. The out of state recruited thing is a myth that keeps on going.

By who? You? St. Gerry? The Francisco brothers? Oh, well OK then. You idiot.
The Eastern Cincinnati neighborhoods of Silverton, Madisonville, Kennedy Heights were fertile grounds for skilled player for the Moeller program during a certain period. The Larkin brothers, Fransico brothers, Eric Ellington (LSU) , Tony Hunter, Rob Brown, David Thurkill and other played youth sports in those neighborhoods. You could see it in them early.

The Eastern Cincinnati neighborhoods of Silverton, Madisonville, Kennedy Heights were fertile grounds for skilled player for the Moeller program during a certain period. The Larkin brothers, Fransico brothers, Eric Ellington (LSU) , Tony Hunter, Rob Brown, David Thurkill and other played youth sports in those neighborhoods. You could see it in them early.

This Massillon fan still thinks Faust went to Texas and brought them to Moeller. He has been under that perception for 35 years?

What do we think about it? He!!, we've been talking about it for 30+ years since St. Gerry started the exodus from there over to Moeller. But lo and behold he sure didn't stop there. He spanned all the way to Texas to find two outstanding students (LOL) that just happened to be great football players. AND found them a place to live. What a Saint.
Faust started coaching at Moeller in 1962- been more than a half century, men hadn’t even landed on the moon.

Stow that is a great question. If I own property in the school district I am paying taxes. Does not matter if it is a second property. Same thing for renting, it is one of the 8 million things that the companies who own the complex factor into how much they charge for rent.
Mason also has an income tax so if you have someone who is making bank but doesn’t live in Mason using the retired grandparents address they are cheating Mason out of the income tax while still getting the benefit of the schools. If I am their classmates parents and paying that % of income- you bet I would be pissed.

Mason High School might have the nicest overall facilities in the state of Ohio. I know they lose a lot of kids to the Catholic High Schools but it is still amazing they have not been able to achieve more success on the football field and basketball courts.

Mason also has an income tax so if you have someone who is making bank but doesn’t live in Mason using the retired grandparents address they are cheating Mason out of the income tax while still getting the benefit of the schools. If I am their classmates parents and paying that % of income- you bet I would be pissed.
I do not know enough about tax law to know if this is correct or not. Either way it has nothing to do with the property tax that is being paid on said property that goes to the school district. The city of Mason and Mason schools are separate entities and do not share tax revenue in this sense. If you are implying they should be paying income tax to help pay for the police force and other things provided by the city of Mason then I think you might have a good argument.